psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    How much calories do you eat in a cheat day

However many calories I've managed to save up for it.
    I usually eat whatever I want and fit it into my day. But if I know I have something coming up where i will be indulging, I save up calories (maybe 100 or 150 a day) for it and make a reasonable effort to stick to them.

There is no magic behind a cheat day, but if having a day where you eat more every week helps you stick to plan or have extra energy, go for it, but you have to make sure you don't blow your weekly deficit in that one day. Those calories still count!

^basically all of this...

Which is what I'm doing saving calories m-f then eating what I want sat/sun except I'm logging it this time instead of thinking we'll f**k today is out the window may as well not log

Side question - Do you use a food scale?

Yes meticulously just had to replace the batteries in it this morning 😒

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm you were actually eating under 600 calories. :ohwell:

Erm no I'm eating 1230 min per day just my exercise is making my net low :/

Wow! How much exercising are you doing to get over 600 exercise calories in a day?!? That's crazy, like running a half-marathon crazy.

Not that crazy ma'am. I average about 600 a day. I have days where I go into the 1000 range and never run. I walk a lot, lift, and work out on my property.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    v5e08784oxcq.png
    I've logged all my food for tomorrow and breakfast for Sunday (usually my "cheat" day) them I've added just over 2k quick calories to see what it does to my weekly average I don't usually touch my exercise calories during the week unless I have to in order to fit what I'm having in. Hope that helps

This seems an awful lot like a binge restrict cycle which is something you’ve struggled with in the past, if I recall.... seems a bit like you’re intentionally setting them up now. I’m not sure that’s a healthy approach for you or something to promote to others...since your net average is well below the minimum cals recommended.

I have to agree. As someone who is in recovery from BED, I’ve noticed the pattern is definitely there.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I usually eat whatever I want and fit it into my day. But if I know I have something coming up where i will be indulging, I save up calories (maybe 100 or 150 a day) for it and make a reasonable effort to stick to them.

There is no magic behind a cheat day, but if having a day where you eat more every week helps you stick to plan or have extra energy, go for it, but you have to make sure you don't blow your weekly deficit in that one day. Those calories still count!

Which is what I'm doing saving calories m-f then eating what I want sat/sun except I'm logging it this time instead of thinking we'll f**k today is out the window may as well not log

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm you were actually eating under 600 calories. :ohwell:

You're meant to eat those calories back, too.

Iam at the weekend but there are plenty of people who don't touch them at all

That doesn’t make it right.... MFP is designed to eat back the exercise cals to help avoid exactly the situation you’re in.... you are eating the minimum calories, exercising excessively (and yes I know you’ll say it’s just walking and a couple of other things but you are Doing two five mile walks and another walk and get on the bike and do another workout - THAT is excessive) and therefore netting well below the minimum calories. Then you’re eating to excess on the weekends as well - none of those extremes are healthy, either physically or mentally.

How old are your kids?

No I'm not doing 2 5mile walks :/ not sure where you got that from school run + dog walk is about 5 mile usually 90min 2nd afternoon school run is only 20min I average about 8-10mile walking dont really count walking as exercise as it's at a lesurily pace and part of my daily routine 30min biking and hasfit not sure what relevance it is but my kids are 9 & 7 I'm never hungry either :/
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    v5e08784oxcq.png
    I've logged all my food for tomorrow and breakfast for Sunday (usually my "cheat" day) them I've added just over 2k quick calories to see what it does to my weekly average I don't usually touch my exercise calories during the week unless I have to in order to fit what I'm having in. Hope that helps

This seems an awful lot like a binge restrict cycle which is something you’ve struggled with in the past, if I recall.... seems a bit like you’re intentionally setting them up now. I’m not sure that’s a healthy approach for you or something to promote to others...since your net average is well below the minimum cals recommended.

Thursday: 300 calories...

NEXT!!!
  • angelsja
    Options

That doesn’t make it right.... MFP is designed to eat back the exercise cals to help avoid exactly the situation you’re in.... you are eating the minimum calories, exercising excessively (and yes I know you’ll say it’s just walking and a couple of other things but you are Doing two five mile walks and another walk and get on the bike and do another workout - THAT is excessive) and therefore netting well below the minimum calories. Then you’re eating to excess on the weekends as well - none of those extremes are healthy, either physically or mentally.

How old are your kids?

No I'm not doing 2 5mile walks :/ not sure where you got that from school run + dog walk is about 5 mile usually 90min 2nd afternoon school run is only 20min I average about 8-10mile walking dont really count walking as exercise as it's at a lesurily pace and part of my daily routine 30min biking and hasfit not sure what relevance it is but my kids are 9 & 7 I'm never hungry either :/

Whether it’s are strenuous exercise or leisurely - 2.5 hours of activity means you should be eating more than the bare minimum of calories. Hunger cues aren’t always reliable especially for someone with a history of yo yo dieting and extreme binge restrict cycles.

The relevance of the age of the kids is that they pick up on your habits and your philosophy about weight loss and exercise, whether you realize it or not.

They aren't even home when I exercise and I always eat my main evening meal with them. I must be doing something wrong anyway gone from 12stone 5.8 last week to 12.7 this week I've just put new batteries in my scales and the only day I didn't log last week was Sunday when we went to pizza hut but since Sunday I've had almost 1500 deficit s according to my Fitbit. Although I only got the stationary bike on Sunday so I'm hoping that's the reason for the weight bump 😭
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I have maintenance days when needed (depending on my activity, that's 2000-2800 calories). I also have special days where I go over maintenance, like Christmas Eve and birthdays. How much I eat depends on what's available, but often around 3500 calories. I also have planned higher calorie days like when I'm going out, I just save up for them in advance, so in reality, I'm not really over my calories even if one day looks like I am.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

How old are your kids?

Whether it’s are strenuous exercise or leisurely - 2.5 hours of activity means you should be eating more than the bare minimum of calories. Hunger cues aren’t always reliable especially for someone with a history of yo yo dieting and extreme binge restrict cycles.

The relevance of the age of the kids is that they pick up on your habits and your philosophy about weight loss and exercise, whether you realize it or not.

They aren't even home when I exercise and I always eat my main evening meal with them. I must be doing something wrong anyway gone from 12stone 5.8 last week to 12.7 this week I've just put new batteries in my scales and the only day I didn't log last week was Sunday when we went to pizza hut but since Sunday I've had almost 1500 deficit s according to my Fitbit. Although I only got the stationary bike on Sunday so I'm hoping that's the reason for the weight bump 😭

You may want to have a read of this: https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/
  • angelsja
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

How old are your kids?

You may want to have a read of this: https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/

Just read it ...sort of I'm putting it down to 1 it's only been 2 weeks since I've been back to full logging and I still had one day off
    2 my scale batteries are low so may not be giving a accurate readings
    3 increase in exercise
    Just got to try and not let it get to me :( and trust in the process easier said than done
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I eat 5,000 - 6,000 calories on cheat/refeed/maintenance/whatever word you use days.

I like that MFP forums haven't changed. OP asks question, thread devolves into picking at OP's diary, food logging, and exercise.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheat days used to be totally incidental - I would do well most of the day and end up with 5000, 6000 calories - and it was always bread as my trigger point. So I convinced myself that it was "only" one cheat day in a week but soon there were two in a week, then 3.....I hope that I have learned my lesson(s) - cheat days don't work for me: If I like to eat something which is not that good for me, I include it in next day's meal plan and work around the other meals during the day. Usually I end up with slightly higher calories and a huge carbs count (200 g. and more...) for the day, which will adjust during the next couple of days. So far it works for me.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

How old are your kids?

Just read it ...sort of I'm putting it down to 1 it's only been 2 weeks since I've been back to full logging and I still had one day off
    2 my scale batteries are low so may not be giving a accurate readings
    3 increase in exercise
    Just got to try and not let it get to me :( and trust in the process easier said than done

Wasn't meant so much in the context of your gain this week, but in terms of your large deficit and large amount of activity (whether you consider it exercise or not). But hey, if you want to make things harder for yourself in the long run...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Calling something "cheating" makes it seem (IMO) like the thing you're doing is something bad or wrong. I don't set myself up to do bad or wrong things purposely. It doesn't give me a special thrill to be bad or sneaky. (Some people do like that, though, and that's cool for them. Different personalities have different motivations.) But I get more joy from feeling like I'm sticking to my plan, achieving my goals and earning my rewards. Therefore, I don't purposely plan "cheat days."

My normal eating habits keep me satisfied enough to not really need/want to binge/cheat. I've never done drastic deficits, followed weird rules, funky diet plans or specific food restrictions. I keep it simple and follow my calorie goals and I work out whenever I want to earn more calories. If I want treats, or just extra servings of dinner, I have them any day of the week, but sometimes I might have to go exercise to earn them. No big deal. I like fitness activities. And if I happen to go over occasionally, it's no big deal. One day isn't gonna wreck me.

There's no need for me, personally, to cheat. But if that's your thing, have at it! Just make sure your deficit for the rest of the week makes up for your cheat day. Otherwise, what's the point?:)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Wow! How much exercising are you doing to get over 600 exercise calories in a day?!? That's crazy, like running a half-marathon crazy.

LOL. That's just a 5 mile run for me (under an hour), or a little over an hour of mountain biking in steep terrain. Could be a couple of hours hiking with the dog. A half-marathon is just over 13 miles. That's a lot more than 600 calories.

It's not hard to burn a lot of calories if you're active. I average about 500 exercise calories a day. Tons more on the weekends when I'm getting outdoors and having fun! On days that I burn tons of calories, I bake! I love being able to eat back all those delicious calories I earned. :D
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    1lbs fat = 3500cals.

So you can decide how much over maintanance you want to eat.

• janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I cant count that high!! what you see...fried hush puppy's, butter, fried mullet.....etc.....i would guess about 1000 more then typical! Here is my typical cheat meal! Once a week, weather my cholesterol says yes or no! LOL
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    6ku6nltim7um.jpg
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    My two cents @angelsja ....Looking at your food diary, your weekday intake seems fine to me. The recommendation is not to eat below 1200 (basal metabolism rate). I think the initial reaction was when people thought your net calories were total calories for the day. Eating back the exercise calories on the weekend is fair. However, sometimes exercise calorie credit is higher than it should be...in which case you might want to only eat back half. And if weight loss stalls, have more moderate weekends 3 times a month and only one all out per month.