How can I reduce my body fat % further if my target weight is considered underweight?

Options
Hi,

I am trying to reduce my body fat % in order to get more visible muscles, specifically abdominals for six pack look.

I'm 5' 4" male weighing 115 lbs currently. I believe that is an ideal weight for a male my height, except my body fat % is too high--I can only see the top 2 abdominal muscles and a slight outline of the next 2 below those.

So I have been cutting my calories in hopes that will make my midsection more visible. If go down to 108 lbs (anything below that is apparently underweight), i.e. drop 7 more lbs, will that be enough to get the body fat % drop for six pack?

Or will I need to go "underweight" to get six pack look, e.g. closer to 100 lbs?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is the current BF%
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 5'5", not completely devoid of muscle, and I'm pretty darned thin when at < 120. Unless you post a photo that tells us otherwise, I'm going to guess on the side of those who think you'll get a better result from working to build more muscle (eating at maintenance calories or above), vs. losing more weight.
  • englishstudentabc1
    englishstudentabc1 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Here is a photo as of today. I don't have a body fat % yet, but am getting a scale for this soon. I'm guessing you can estimate my body fat % based on this photo.

ee7w1a0c74gm.png

6v5r9iltv5h8.png

ha4crxvb91jv.png

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    More "gainzzz". If you are looking for a more aesthetic physique, having a goal of having a visible 6-pack is pretty close to being unrealistic if you are fairly novice with exercise & diet. Might want to start slow & consider building more muscle overall (esp. upper back, chest, shoulders, & legs for balance of course).
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You need to do a solid bulk if aesthetics is your thing.

Then cut when you have a decent amount of mass.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Ok, I see BMI thrown around A LOT on here and I would just like to state something for the record: if you have above average (read: you've trained for like 6 months to a year or more) muscle development, you should be nearing the top of the "healthy" BMI range or even be in the "overweight" category. In other words, BMI is mostly garbage for anyone even remotely athletic. A "healthy" BMI for most people has them looking like a stick or skinny fat.

Aim for 10-18% BF, and as high of weight as you naturally achieve within those parameters. That is a sustainable athletic/fit BF% for a male.

Not universally true, and very rarely true, at best. Your outliers -- those who are very heavily muscled -- *may* have a BMI above the normal range. Outliers are not the full picture, but they do make a convenient case for people who want to completely eliminate BMI at all.

I'm in the smack middle, 20 percent body fat, and am athletic -- swimmer, long-distance runner, lifter. By your case, you'd think that I'm overweight. The reality is that I'm not.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Take heart, OP: As a younger male, you're in the best possible demographic to gain muscle, and that would be an excellent goal to pursue. Here are two threads that are very informative, and may be quite helpful in your circumstances:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
    Jesus Christ, 10 "woos" on the BMI thing? Really?

The highest bodyweight I should have according to BMI is 189lbs as a 6'1 male. Last time I was 189 I was probably 11% BF and relatively weak compared to what I've achieved over years of strength training. Everything in my target bodyweight range of 190-220 (ie where I look remotely muscular and not like a twig) is considered overweight.

That's you, with your body composition and configuration. Cool. But OP is nearing underweight, and doesn't need to worry about being so muscular he hits the top end of the BMI range for a while, by which time he'll have a clearer understanding of all of this. Let's not have this silly BMI argument again; it's been hashed over on many threads.

You got woo-ed for saying "BMI is mostly garbage for anyone even remotely athletic."

Do more actually healthy weight high-level athletes fall into a higher-than-normal BMI category than among non-athletes? Sure. But it's not the commonest case. Are some recreational athletes or people with physically intense occupations so muscular that they have overweight BMI when not over-fat? Sure. But not very doggone many. Normal people using "but athletes" as part of their justification of being at an overweight BMI are mostly showing their cognitive bias. Here's a rundown of recent Olympic gold medalists; most people would consider them at least "remotely athletic".

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a20811275/bmis-of-champions-mens-edition/

And, for completeness and equal time,

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20793992/bmis-of-champions-womens-edition/

As a woman, I'd say I'm "remotely athletic" (LOL), not completely devoid of muscle, and am best at about BMI 20. Build matters.

Come, come. You know Olympic medalists aren't really athletic. ;) All that cardio is just a farce, right?