Hard work not paying off

Options
I’ve been within 15% of my calorie goal everyday for three weeks, been at the gym doing cardio and strength training 5 days a week and I haven’t seen any results yet. I’m still the exact same weight and feel exactly the same.
It’s so frustrating to not be seeing any results yet. Anyone else stuck like me? 😞

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Patience and be sure you are measuring and logging correctly.
  • kfilcher
    kfilcher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been measuring each thing I eat and I’m usually under my calorie goal, but some days feel like it’s hard to hit it. But there are some weekend days when I’m over by just a bit. The exercise is a new thing, I was pretty sedentary before. So i figured all this exercise would make me drop weight quickly.
    I will definitely keep with it because I enjoy excercise now. It’s just disappointing to not see the scale move.
    Thanks for the support everyone!
  • nathanspowell
    nathanspowell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stalls are not uncommon at all! I'm on my second "program" having lost 65lb. the first time around. I relaxed and ballooned back up, we're all human. This time around I'm taking the loss much slower in hopes that I have a more sustainable program. With that said, so many things can cause your efforts not to reflect on the scale. As aegean2 mentioned, adding muscle while dropping fat can trick the scale, and in some cases even cause it to go up as muscle is denser than fat. Sodium can play a big role as it causes water retention, be sure to play close attention to your sodium intake. Your body adjusting to a new diet and exercise routine will throw your metabolism and digestive track a curve ball, give your body time. Also make sure your weighing yourself at the same time every day. Your body weight can fluctuate several pounds during the day, especially during the morning. Overnight you can lose well over a pound of water weight in respiration and perspiration alone, couple that with using the restroom in the morning and you could be looking at a 3lb. difference between your weight when you went to bed and your weight after morning duties. As others have said, it's best to forget the scale for now and just focus on your plan, the results will come. However, if you really need the small victories then at least make sure your not sabotaging your information! Good luck my fitness pal!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    aegean2 wrote: »
    Keep in mind, that if you exercise 5 days a week at the gym you may be dropping lbs of fat, but gaining on muscle, so your weight remains constant, but you are actually losing. You need to check your other measurements, or simply look how your old clothes fit now.

no fat loss and muscle gain is not a 1:1 ratio the scale not budging is not muscle gain and fat loss in equal amounts to not see the scale move. it doesnt work that way

You also can't gain muscle eating at a deficit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    aegean2 wrote: »
    Keep in mind, that if you exercise 5 days a week at the gym you may be dropping lbs of fat, but gaining on muscle, so your weight remains constant, but you are actually losing. You need to check your other measurements, or simply look how your old clothes fit now.

no fat loss and muscle gain is not a 1:1 ratio the scale not budging is not muscle gain and fat loss in equal amounts to not see the scale move. it doesnt work that way

You also can't gain muscle eating at a deficit.

you can but its really hard to do and it cant be a large deficit.a deficit of 250 calories can sometimes result in muscle growth when doing a recomp,but its going to be limited to what you can do growth wise and its going to take time((a very slow process compared to a surplus). also those with a lot to lose,getting back into lifting and so on can gain a little bit and there is something called newbie gains but those will also be small.

If the OP is not in a deficit then they could be gaining some muscle but again its not going to be enough for the scale not to budge for 3 weeks.Im recomping and ive gained some muscle in a very small deficit(less than 250 calories most days, but most days there is no deficit) but its not a whole lot,but I am losing fat.I try to eat maintenance calories most days. but lately Ive had a small deficit due to not feeling well and not having as big an appetite as before.
  • marcy1blue
    marcy1blue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    make sure you take your measurements :)
  • marcy1blue
    marcy1blue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i was the same for months and recently switched the way i eat via diet doctor (not a plug was recommended to me by a friend) i was eating way too many carb foods and protein but not enough healthy fats from dairy, avo, seeds, fish etc so using macros to suit me i now fast from 7pm until 11am the next day (cups of tea help to adjust initially) then eat brunch/lunch around 11am and tea by 7pm as thats my cut off. so i have an 8 hr window to get what i need in my macros for the day, feel great walk 2 x 4-5km each day (one in my lunch break walk/jog and one after work) i was a choc lover and a snacker now i dont feel the need for either and in the last 5 days i am down 1.4kg after being the same weight for months no matter how well i ate and moved, what i was eating while it was "good" non processed food it still wasnt working for me and my body, i wasnt burning it i kept storing it or only using that for fuel not my stored fats. maybe take a good look at your ratios of protein, fat and carbs to find what suits you :)
  • maryanneericson
    maryanneericson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kfilcher wrote: »
    I’ve been within 15% of my calorie goal everyday for three weeks, been at the gym doing cardio and strength training 5 days a week and I haven’t seen any results yet. I’m still the exact same weight and feel exactly the same.
    It’s so frustrating to not be seeing any results yet. Anyone else stuck like me? 😞