Keto to control hunger

13»

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Regarding comments of this nature: "But you don’t eat less on keto; you eat less and then binge. Wasn’t that the problem?" and "Huh, "Carbs are not healthy" would be news..."

I don't care what plan someone may try, a binge can happen...it could come from someone on CICO or any eating plan. This thread just happens to be keto geared. If you don't have a constructive keto based plan comment to make, then maybe this is the wrong thread for you.

Anytime you comment on someone and their dietary plan, regardless of the plan, remember, they are not a clone of your genetics, your experiences and your emotions. Their needs are not your needs and therefore, not perfectly suited to you...carbs may not be healthy for them...you don't know their exact medical situation or even how their body has been trending. Did you see the posters last five CBCs or any other annual tests to mark trends? If you are not their medical professional, no matter how much you know about your own situation, the best you can do is provide you experiences with YOUR time on the keto plan...nothing else. The OP was not asking for comments or opinions from people opposing the program. You can start your own thread on keto hating for that sort of thing.

I think part of it is contradictory comments from the OP.

She said she did Keto before and had cravings which lead to a binge. Then later said she didn’t binge, because she didn’t count calories.

No one is condemning Keto in general. We are trying to help her find a balance that might be more suitable since she had trouble adhering to Keto previously.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    This is so weird to me. I have not had any binges or felt overly hungry since I started. Not sure if it is my fat intake but I must admit I load up in the morning.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I would love to hear from the people who are at maintenance of large amounts of weight who are on keto. Not being sarcastic actually. I mean years of maintenance.

I lost 135 pounds following a keto diet. I have only been in maintenance for three months though.

I am T2D and manage my glucose without meds using the diet. I know that with some people, the weight loss is enough to bring the numbers down. For me, I have to be careful about the type of carbs I eat or the readings are very high. I stick to leafy greens, broccoli, and cauliflower mostly.

In the time I have been on keto, I tried changing the macros to better suit me, and I find I am happier with more protein than most people following it. Protein is "said" to have an impact on glucose readings, but that has not been the case with me.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    What were you eating when you tried keto before, and what did you crave? How many carbs/net carbs did you allow yourself? How long could you stay on it before binge-ing? I’ve noticed on here that a lot of people seem to try to make keto even more restrictive than it already is, and if you’re one of them it might be worth another shot. Otherwise, maybe it would make more sense to try to incorporate the foods you found so sating on keto into a diet that isn’t so restrictive.

I don’t binge because I don’t count calories anymore. I listen to my body and eat when I’m hungry. I just happen to eat less on keto.

But you don’t eat less on keto; you eat less and then binge. Wasn’t that the problem?

Yes—I thought this was the issue. Now I’m confused. If keto is the best way of eating for you, why aren’t you doing it, again?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Regarding comments of this nature: "But you don’t eat less on keto; you eat less and then binge. Wasn’t that the problem?" and "Huh, "Carbs are not healthy" would be news..."

I don't care what plan someone may try, a binge can happen...it could come from someone on CICO or any eating plan. This thread just happens to be keto geared. If you don't have a constructive keto based plan comment to make, then maybe this is the wrong thread for you.

Anytime you comment on someone and their dietary plan, regardless of the plan, remember, they are not a clone of your genetics, your experiences and your emotions. Their needs are not your needs and therefore, not perfectly suited to you...carbs may not be healthy for them...you don't know their exact medical situation or even how their body has been trending. Did you see the posters last five CBCs or any other annual tests to mark trends? If you are not their medical professional, no matter how much you know about your own situation, the best you can do is provide you experiences with YOUR time on the keto plan...nothing else. The OP was not asking for comments or opinions from people opposing the program. You can start your own thread on keto hating for that sort of thing.

Every weight-loss plan is fundamentally CICO, whether people recognize that or not. Keto, vegan, paleo, whatever, is just the path there.

Anyone on any WOE can binge eat. I think folks were responding to the initial comments that OP binges when on keto and thus overriding the deficit and preventing weight-loss and suggesting a WOE that might fight the cravings more and help preventing the binge eating.

But after reading OP’s most current posts, I’m not sure that was the issue.