Weight Loss for Kids

Options
My son is 8 years old and at his last annual checkup, the doctor told me that he's obese (95th percentile for weight) and needs to lose weight. At the time, I didn't really take it too seriously. He's always been a skinny kid (50th percentile for weight) and my husband and I just figured that he'll grow into his weight.

After much prodding, we find out he's eating a full meal after school (at daycare) and of course dinner at home. He's been told not to eat so much at daycare. The lady at the daycare feels bad that our fee technically includes a meal, so she feels obligated to feed him.

We want to set a good example for him and his 5 year old sister. We eat healthy, which for us, means a well-balanced meal that has plenty of veggies. I pack his lunch for him, but once a week he eats pizza at the school cafeteria. I know that he'll sometimes trade the fruits that I pack for him. The school does a pretty good job of teaching the kids about good nutrition.

He's active. He does judo three days a week and likes to play outside with the neighborhood kids. We limit screen time (tv, ipad, video games) but he's a bookworm and sometimes he'd rather read than play outside during recess.

He competes in judo and has won several medals, despite having to compete with taller/older kids. His coach/teacher wants to compete in the winter nationals in December and pointed out the weight divisions and hinted at my son needing to lose weight. He's been competing in the heavy weight division. He needs to lose 2 pounds to compete in the middle weight division but his BMI would still be overweight. If he lost 10 pounds, that would put him in the healthy weight category but is 10 pounds in 2 months too much?

Everything I've read so far says to get kids more active and to eat more nutritiously. I found a brief reference to how much calories an 8-year old boy should be eating. The consensus on MFP is CI<CO and that diet is more important for weight loss than exercise, but that's for adults.

Any advice on how my son should lose the weight and how quickly he should lose that weight?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If he gets a free evening meal at day care then just don't give him tea?
    arobey11 wrote: »
    Can you ask the lady at daycare to not feed him a full meal, and instead pack a healthy snack for him for daycare (or ask that she provide a smaller snack for him)? I'm sure if you explain that you're worried about his health she would be willing to accommodate.
    It is supposed to be just a snack but my son can be pretty convincing and knows how to turn on the charm to get more food. We've already talked with the daycare lady and I think we'll just have to keep reminding her. I don't want him skipping dinner at home because I think it's important for the family unit to sit and eat together for dinner.

• SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't know. How tall is your son? My 9 year old son is currently 4'11 1/2 and weighs 97lbs. He's technically overweight. As he been about 96/97 lbs for the past year so it was worse before his height increase. But, if he gains 1/2 in ( 5ft), he's back to normal! He has always been very tall (98th) but just this past year his weight caught up to him. We don't really worry much about it. I don't put him on diets but I do limit sugary/processed snacks to once a day and all other snacks need to be fruit, vegetables, string cheese, etc... Boys eat and they eat a lot. I do not know how many times I have been told this as a mother of a son. I also encourage my son to move more. Looking at my kid you would think he looks normal because of his height. He's going to be a big guy as my husband is 6'4 and 220 and both of our families are tall. I feel as though as long as I don't let it get out of control (the weight), he keeps busy, and I moderate the snacking, it will all even out in the end.

Maybe ask the daycare to only offer a snack after school and then you do dinner or since you know he is eating double, decrease your meal for him or don't offer it. Maybe he doesn't eat much lunch so he gets really hungry.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Is the medical advice given with all this information to put things into perspective? Is this advice taking the full account of information including body composition? ...or is it just given based upon numbers on a chart based on age/height/weight?

Growing takes a remarkable amount of calories, which is why sites such as MFP set a lower age limit. I've had my 10 yr old son in the metabolic chamber and his BMR is closer to mine at 6'4" 220 lbs.

Maybe increase his activity and reduce calories by a bit, but don't do anything drastic. Having him drink 30 minutes prior to meal time will help manage appetite and keep him hydrated.

We're having a similar issue with our 8 yr old daughter, but just making her aware of what calories are and how to manage them effectively. Giving her the responsibility to make the best choices for herself.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add about 8 was when my son gained about 15 lbs in a year also. There is absolutely nothing medically wrong with him.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Is the medical advice given with all this information to put things into perspective? Is this advice taking the full account of information including body composition? ...or is it just given based upon numbers on a chart based on age/height/weight?

Well, I think he was just looking at a chart but my son has been with this pediatrician since day 1. In terms of body composition, I wouldn't classify my son as being husky but I'm having to get him husky clothes.

I don't think it's hyperthyroidism. I think he really is eating more than he should.
    SMKing75 wrote: »
    I also wanted to add about 8 was when my son gained about 15 lbs in a year also.
    I've heard that from a few friends/coworkers. It's just a little disconcerting when looking at a BMI chart and it says my son is obese. I know BMI has its flaws but it seems appropriate for his height. My son is one of the shortest kids in his grade but definitely weighs more than a lot of the other kids.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    As the daycare lady feels she should provide a meal, why not suggest that this just consists of a selection of vegetables / a vegetarian dish or some salad (with no dressing) plus some fruit? Then, when he eats with your family a little later, you serve him much smaller portions knowing that he's already eaten something.

Alternatively, can you negotiate the fees so that a full meal isn't included at daycare?

From what you said initially, he needs to lose 2 pound to compete as middleweight. That should be more than do-able by December without any drastic changes. The other 8 pounds, to get him into normal BMI, can be done over a slightly longer period of time. He doesn't have to lose all 10 pounds by Christmas.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Speaking as someone with hypothyroidism I sincerely doubt this is the issue. This has almost no impact on metabolism.

Keep it simple at this point. Increase activity and reduce his caloric intake a bit. Find out what foods really keep him satiated and stick with those. For me this is oatmeal, eggs, and chicken, but everyone is different.

Agreed -- also said as someone who was diagnosed as hypothyroid at that age. My weight never went to obese levels -- I was simply on the heavier side for a child of that age and height, compounded by the fact that I was gaining weight, but not height. And there were plenty of other symptoms along with it.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    i would talk to a non threatening nutrionist (ins covers usually) and a coach...my kids had a swim coach and a taek won do master and going to these two things was not optional...until they were mid teens.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to the pediatrician and hopefully a nutritionist (preferably one with experience in children). I don't think losing weight will be that bad, 1 lbs a week is 8lbs in 2 months...which is doable, but not fun. You have the nutritional requirements for a growing kid to consider as you're cutting back calories that you can't control during the day, so lots to juggle in this case.

You kids seems to be mentally ok, no problems with school or friends, physically active, at least somewhat. I think cutting sweets down (not out, esp at Halloween and Thanksgiving is just cruel) and upping his activity level somehow is the best approach. You got room for a punching bag or training dummy for him at home? 30-60 min every day working on kicks and punches should burn at least 100-200 calories a session. If you can then cut out a canned soda and a daily donut (300+ more calories right there), you got about 500 calories a day now, or one pound a week.