Options

Replies

• Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    Damn I want some McDonald's now lol
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I personally don't usually look at my friends' food diaries unless they're asking for help. What works for them may not work for me and vice versa. This process is about finding what works for you and not for anyone else. After all, nobody else can live your life for you. So no, I wouldn't cut a friend on here for what they ate. BUT, if their diary is preventing you from fulfilling your goals then drop them.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a pal who eats McDonalds EVERY day (or every other day, w/e) and has lost 22 lbs. Misses meals, etc... It is totally frustrating and discouraging as someone who is trying to eat heathier and lose weight. Should I drop them?

Are you guys cutthroat when it comes to diaries you can see?

I maintained a healthy weight in the 130's by eating a Mt. Dew code red and snickers for breakfast, Mcd's (or other fast food) for lunch, and usually skipping dinner but if I did eat, it was more fast food, hamburger helper, ramen or tuna or alcohol.... I lived tlike this pretty much until I got pregnant. Yeah, it caught up w/ me.. and now I'm paying for it. What would I give to have that metabolism again!! Now that I have 2 babies who are learning eating habits from me, I've decided I really need to step my game up, but I'm still learning how to actually incorporate good things into my lifestyle and actually eating 3 meals a day. I think I'd be hurt if my friends dropped me because they didn't approve of my lunch, but at the same time... I kinda wanna smack old me and all others like her say "How the heck are you so skinny!!" I don't know if I'd drop them from my feed, but I wouldn't eat lunch w/ them.

Whether or not YOU should cut them... Do you have an actual friendship w/ this person? Would you miss them if they were gone? Does it bother you THAT much, that they eat fast food? If you wouldn't miss em, and them being a part of your life brings you more grief than good, then go ahead and drop em. But, if you actually like this person, then get over it.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've dropped people who are anorexic or bulemic because I like to have friends whose goals are similar to mine, which is to have a healthy relationship with food and become a healthy weight. It's important to me that I can relate to the friends I have on here so I look for similar outlook/weights/goals.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I am a fast food addict, I was so used to hitting the drive through then going back to my office and sitting in front of the computer. I've made it now 3 weeks without fast food, between working out, lack of soda, and fast food It's amazing how much better I feel. 3 weeks into this new diet regiment and I feel great, but because I don't have the willpower to cheat even once or twice I would have to not look at that persons journal/diary because it would tempt me. I can not cheat, even in the least. I think it would knock me off the wagon.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm a little torn on this issue. I also think some of you are being a little hard on the OP. There are a lot of people who come to MFP because they have no education or experience with healthy eating. This person may not know that eating fast food every day is not the greatest path to having a healthy lifestyle - 22 pounds down? Fine. But, he's more than likely not healthy. If this MFP'er were to post a topic in the boards titled, "I eat McDonald's every day but I'm still losing weight", you know most of you who are getting down on the OP would post things like, "Not a great idea buddy! You should really lay off the fast food and eat some fruit and veggies".

Now, I'm not saying that she needs to dog this guy/girl for what they are eating, but aren't we all here to lend each other support? Not only encouragement but also some advice from our own experiences? Is there not a way to approach him/her in a constructive way? I don't know, maybe not. I think if you don't want to say something to him/her, then you should delete him because you clearly don't have the same goals in mind in your weight-loss, which I do find important when you're looking for "friends" to support and who can support you.
  • parisianskies002
    Options
    Yeah, but imagine what they're doing to their arteries? Clogging it with saturated fat - thinking of that definitely put me off Maccie D's!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Why is it bothering you so much? It's their decision what is put into their mouth, as is yours. I'll admit, I usually eat out for lunch while @ work, but I make the best decisions I can while under those circumstances and my choices have paid off in my nearly 65lb loss.
    I don't mean to sound rude, but you're being way too critical of this person. Why not just be happy for their success? I'm sure someone could pick apart your diary and tell you how you could improve, but what kind of person would that be?

jealousy I suppose.

It's not your food or your body, unless they ask, who cares. But clearly something is working if they're dropping 22lbs. Everyone is different. Which doesn't make what I say right or wrong.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    I have a pal who eats McDonalds EVERY day (or every other day, w/e) and has lost 22 lbs. Misses meals, etc... It is totally frustrating and discouraging as someone who is trying to eat heathier and lose weight. Should I drop them?

Are you guys cutthroat when it comes to diaries you can see?
    My family and friends are religious..................I'm not. I wouldn't drop them because I disagree with their "spiritual" lifestyle. If your friend isn't trying to force you to eat McDonald's, then why give him up?
    And eating healthier doesn't ensure you'll be healthier. Health has more to do with your genetics. That's why people who have a history of cancer in their family are more prone to it regardless of how fit and "healthy" they are.
    While it's important to be a reasonable weight for your gender, height and physique, to reduce any health issues, I believe that people who only eat "healthy" are very critical of people who don't.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Crap. I want Mcdonalds now.

Well lets hope he is taking multi vitamins. I think eating mcdonalds everyday is better than the HGC drop diet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I eat McDonalds. Usually an Egg McMuffin (300 calories) or a hamburger and an ice cream cone (400 calories).
    I eat Egg McMuffin every Sunday morning. It's part of my McDonald's weekly run.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i guess this is where I say I have 2 teenage sons that work there and bring home food all the time, though I've asked them to cut back, so since starting MFP, I've only eaten there once, and that was today, my oldest brought me an egg mcmuffin and a hashbrown to work, so there was lunch, and then my youngest brought me 4 chicken nuggets, so I incorporated that into my supper and still came in at 1299 cals for the day. Maybe not the best choices, but if I deprive myself, then I will one day explode and pig out for days and days before I snap out of it and have alot of guilt and catch up work to do. (yes, speaking from experience!)
    This. Statistics show that people that really crave something and totally deny themselves from it, usually will gorge on it once they cave in. It's the great yo yo diet effect. I'm more than sure that everyone here on MFP has gone through it, myself included.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just tell them their chicken is purple and they color it white(true story) turned me right off that crap. I found this out yesterday soo gross!
    People are naive. McDonald's did a promotion where they featured "colored" chicken nuggets for a short time. One was purple..............it was the Grimace. It was a short promo.
    Please don't spout off misinformation.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Why do you care? I eat McDonalds all the time... they have many options that are not that bad....

Hamburger - 250 cal
    Cheeseburger - 300 cal
    Grilled chicken sandwich - 360 cal
    Grilled honey mustard snack wrap - 260 cal
    6 McNuggets - 280 cal
    Bacon ranch grilled salad - 260 cal
    Caesar grilled chicken salad - 220 cal
    Egg mcmuffin - 300 cal
    Sausage mcmuffin - 270 cal

All of these options under 400 calories... So I can see how someone can eat there everyday and still lose weight.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    No, I am not cut throat with people. I wouldn't look at her jounal if it made me upset :) Maybe you can influence her by the healthy choices YOU are making and be sort of a guiding light?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Crap. I want Mcdonalds now.

Well lets hope he is taking multi vitamins. I think eating mcdonalds everyday is better than the HGC drop diet.
    Agree. As long as you get your essentials in and doctor doesn't see any issues with blood lipid profiles and cholesterol, you can eat foods you like.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why do you care? I eat McDonalds all the time... they have many options that are not that bad....

Hamburger - 250 cal
    Cheeseburger - 300 cal
    Grilled chicken sandwich - 360 cal
    Grilled honey mustard snack wrap - 260 cal
    6 McNuggets - 280 cal
    Bacon ranch grilled salad - 260 cal
    Caesar grilled chicken salad - 220 cal
    Egg mcmuffin - 300 cal
    Sausage mcmuffin - 270 cal

All of these options under 400 calories... So I can see how someone can eat there everyday and still lose weight.
    With ya on this. What you will get from the health police here is that it's processed food and full of hormones, sodium, etc.
    My peeve with it is that they claim "eating that will make you unhealthy" when in fact many sponsored World Athletes eat it. Michael Phelps is notorious for the junk he eats. The BEST swimmer in the world. How many here would say he's unhealthy?
  • alexisrebecca
    alexisrebecca Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just let them eat whatever they want, personally i'd rather eat poo than Mc Donalds lol...either way, just make sure that what you put in your body is good and you will see the benefits, not just weight loss but skin, hair etc :) good luck on your journey x
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I actually enjoy McDonald's. I wish I could eat it, but the stuff I love is a big no-no with my food lifestyle. Really, I can't understand why this would bother you, or anyone.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you work some where that doesn't allow outside food all you have to do is tell them that you have a medical condition that doesn't allow you to eat that particular food.

And if they require a doctors note i'm sure your doctor wouldn't mind writing one up to spare your health.

I work at pizza hut and there is literally nothing that I consider remotely edible there. We are not suppose to bring in outside food. But my managers know that there is no way I will ever eat that crap and that they can't require me to work 10+ hours without eating. And the company that owns our particular store is based in canada and have a ton of other stores and more important things to care about.