The importance of an untracked meal and rest days

Options
2»

Replies

• audrianna4969
    audrianna4969 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was also told by another trainer to stick to my TDEE for at least one month before adjusting it. They told me that my TDEE already takes my activity level into account when it’s calculated so I shouldn’t input my exercise for the day into MFP.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I am aware that I need to eat more calories. This post was meant to encourage others who may be struggling with similar things. It wasn’t so much to ask others what I’m doing wrong. I have a trainer and a nutritionist who I’m working with. I do appreciate the feedback though. It just feels a little harsh

I was thinking the same thing while reading the comments. I'm glad you "did you" and took a mental break. Keep up the good work.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You probably were over trained and maybe undernourished. Sounds like you didn't give any rest and maybe didn't have enough carbs. I have no idea what you are doing but that is where I would look. Not logging has nothing to do with it. Rest and proper nutrition has everything to do with it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I was also told by another trainer to stick to my TDEE for at least one month before adjusting it. They told me that my TDEE already takes my activity level into account when it’s calculated so I shouldn’t input my exercise for the day into MFP.

You should use one or the other (TDEE or NEAT). If you don't have a good handle on your TDEE then the MFP system has the advantage to make sure you are eating enough.

You do need time to make sure you have the correct TDEE but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go higher as soon as possible if it is obviously not enough.

Keep in mind that 2300 may not be enough calories either. It may seem high to you but to others in your situation, which we don't really know without your stats, it may still seem too low.
  • audrianna4969
    Options
    I am aware that I need to eat more calories. This post was meant to encourage others who may be struggling with similar things. It wasn’t so much to ask others what I’m doing wrong. I have a trainer and a nutritionist who I’m working with. I do appreciate the feedback though. It just feels a little harsh

I was thinking the same thing while reading the comments. I'm glad you "did you" and took a mental break. Keep up the good work.

Thank you!
  • audrianna4969
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am not sure that it is good that the only way you can eat more calories is by ignoring them in your log.

A few Sundays ago I ate all of my maintenance calories plus 50 percent more. I didn't stop tracking because I am fine with having days like that on occasion. I am actually more relaxed knowing just how far I went because I really wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of a diet that is almost 9 months old now.

You seem to be too uptight and you pushed yourself to a breaking point. This is a good time to learn from a mistake and relax. The lesson here is not to have untracked meals but to go easier on yourself in all aspects of your journey.

This!

I don't sweat it if I go over. I pay more attention to my weekly net average then the daily numbers. You gotta keep the big picture in mind!

That’s actually great advice. I never thought of looking at it that way. I don’t think I’ve ever looked at my weekly average. I know there are definitely days when I go under because I’m just not that hungry or I don’t eat as much earlier in the day. The days when I eat most of my calories early on are usually the days that I go over so I really should take a look to see what my weekly average is.
  • audrianna4969
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    You probably were over trained and maybe undernourished. Sounds like you didn't give any rest and maybe didn't have enough carbs. I have no idea what you are doing but that is where I would look. Not logging has nothing to do with it. Rest and proper nutrition has everything to do with it.

Yes you are probably right but as another person just said, I personally needed a mental break. Let me reiterate that... I as in me personally, really needed a break last night from tracking everything because if I’m being honest, I’ve been a little obbsessed and I realize that now. I think a lot of people are taking this post the wrong way. I’m not saying that you should stop tracking your goals, or give up. I’m not saying to go overboard and start binge eating. I’m literally just trying to say that it’s ok to give yourself a break from all the numbers and just eat what you want without worrying about it’s caloric value or it fitting your macros. I more so just wanted to highlight that fact that sometimes you need to forgive yourself when you mess up and give yourself some self love. For me, self love looks like not tracking my macros for one meal. Last night I still ate the same meal that I planned for myself but I had a little extra and added some things that I would have other wise left out.
    I would not have made this post if I didn’t realize that I’ve been over working myself. I know I have been, I’m going to take it back a notch and adjust so that it doesn’t happen again.

I don't think people are taking it as wrong as you might think. I pushed back a little on the no logging thing but then I was kind of right because you admitted you were obsessed and that was the easiest way for you to relax. If that works for you that is great.

You are absolutely right that people at different times may need a mental break. Many people, myself included, routinely recommend diet breaks for people and that is one of the reasons. I mentioned to you in my first reply that I took a day myself just a few weeks ago I just handled mine differently because I logged it.

It kind of sucks for you that you came here to give advice and instead a group of people decided to care enough to give you some. That is what can happen on a public forum. If you were here more you would realize that many people come through here with bad advice received from a trainer. I have been given bad advice from a doctor twice very recently because even they have little training in nutrition.

Just about anything someone can or is experiencing someone here has gone through it. Admittedly there are also those here that will give you terrible advice based on old and new quackery but then this is the internet.

I don’t think it sucks for me. This is an open discussion. I’m not trying to give advice, I’m simply stating my opinion about something. I would just rather take health advice from people who know my ENTIRE situation and see me multiple times a week and understand my goals. Maybe they’re wrong but I would rather listen to them over someone who has only read my stats and one post. I have never burned out like that before. I wanted to write about it because I realized that I was doing something wrong and part of that was pushing myself too hard. I’m not nessesarily looking for answers from anyone. I just wanted to give my input. I do appreciate your concern though so thank you. Obviously you’ve been doing this for a long time so I’m sure you’re very knowledgeable. I would love to chat more about this with you but If you’re going to tell me to ignore what my trainer and nutritionist are telling me, I think it’s only fair that you should also know where I stand in terms of my gold and where I’m coming from. One burn out session doesn’t tell the whole story. Please don’t take this the wrong way though. I really do appreciate your concern.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options

Yes you are probably right but as another person just said, I personally needed a mental break. Let me reiterate that... I as in me personally, really needed a break last night from tracking everything because if I’m being honest, I’ve been a little obbsessed and I realize that now. I think a lot of people are taking this post the wrong way. I’m not saying that you should stop tracking your goals, or give up. I’m not saying to go overboard and start binge eating. I’m literally just trying to say that it’s ok to give yourself a break from all the numbers and just eat what you want without worrying about it’s caloric value or it fitting your macros. I more so just wanted to highlight that fact that sometimes you need to forgive yourself when you mess up and give yourself some self love. For me, self love looks like not tracking my macros for one meal. Last night I still ate the same meal that I planned for myself but I had a little extra and added some things that I would have other wise left out.
    I would not have made this post if I didn’t realize that I’ve been over working myself. I know I have been, I’m going to take it back a notch and adjust so that it doesn’t happen again.

I don't think people are taking it as wrong as you might think. I pushed back a little on the no logging thing but then I was kind of right because you admitted you were obsessed and that was the easiest way for you to relax. If that works for you that is great.

You are absolutely right that people at different times may need a mental break. Many people, myself included, routinely recommend diet breaks for people and that is one of the reasons. I mentioned to you in my first reply that I took a day myself just a few weeks ago I just handled mine differently because I logged it.

It kind of sucks for you that you came here to give advice and instead a group of people decided to care enough to give you some. That is what can happen on a public forum. If you were here more you would realize that many people come through here with bad advice received from a trainer. I have been given bad advice from a doctor twice very recently because even they have little training in nutrition.

Just about anything someone can or is experiencing someone here has gone through it. Admittedly there are also those here that will give you terrible advice based on old and new quackery but then this is the internet.

I don’t think it sucks for me. This is an open discussion. I’m not trying to give advice, I’m simply stating my opinion about something. I would just rather take health advice from people who know my ENTIRE situation and see me multiple times a week and understand my goals. Maybe they’re wrong but I would rather listen to them over someone who has only read my stats and one post. I have never burned out like that before. I wanted to write about it because I realized that I was doing something wrong and part of that was pushing myself too hard. I’m not nessesarily looking for answers from anyone. I just wanted to give my input. I do appreciate your concern though so thank you. Obviously you’ve been doing this for a long time so I’m sure you’re very knowledgeable. I would love to chat more about this with you but If you’re going to tell me to ignore what my trainer and nutritionist are telling me, I think it’s only fair that you should also know where I stand in terms of my gold and where I’m coming from. One burn out session doesn’t tell the whole story. Please don’t take this the wrong way though. I really do appreciate your concern.

😊👍
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I've just read this whole thread. I totally agree with you. You were just stating something that happen to you and what you did. I know there had been a time i burned out too. I wanted to work out like my usual and eat well within my calories set but my body was telling me something else. So I listen to it that one day. I rested, had more to eat then usual, also had more ice cream then i would have eaten oh what a day!! and by the way i also didn't log it because i just didn't feel like it. Then the next day felt relaxed and I was able to go back to my normal routine. I think i just needed a me day. :wink:
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My other half trains professional athletes, even they have two full rest days a week. Rest is more important than people think.
  • chromilo
    chromilo Posts: 33 Member
    Options

^^^ this

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I see what you’re saying and don’t get me wrong, I do go over my calories sometime . Not by much but it does happen. My whole point is that sometimes it feels good not know. I’ve literally tracked everything since early July. Even when I do go over, I still usually track it but I think it’s perfectly fine to have one meal every once in a while that you don’t track. It might make you feel better to know how much you go over but I’m the kind of person who will dwell on the numbers.

But if you feel OK for a week or two, are you going to think it's because you raised your calories 100 to 200 calories a day, and ignore the fact that your average might actually be another 150 calories or more a day (I'm only guessing on an amount, because you don't have the data to know what you're averaging because you threw out all that data by not logging)? Then keep at it with that new level, forgoing rest days, until you hit a wall again four or five weeks down the road? I don't know what your exact goals are, but I'm having a hard time imagining any that this approach is likely to serve well.

Edited to correct egregious grammatical error. :blush:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I like my breaks to be logged and controlled. When I'm in a deficit I have a fake exercise entry called "Maintenance Day" which is just enough calories to bring me up to maintenance. That way, if I'm feeling tapped out, I can take a little diet break without having to reset my goals or see those red numbers like I did something wrong. If I want more food, that is a choice I make, not an accident or a mistake!

Definitely take your rest days! Sounds like you learned the hard way, but at least you figured out to give yourself a break without having an overuse injury.