Keto Friends

Hello all,
I’m a mother of four who’s doing Keto, and would like some more friends to share recipes, info and motivation with.

Replies

• Rvxna
    Rvxna Posts: 3 Member
    Hey my name is Raina, I’m new to Keto as well. I love to cook, we can share our progress and recipes!
  • colette2019
    colette2019 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm a mother of 4 I just started keto, and I'm going under my calories or over my carbs I have no clue how to do this...... and I dont get enought fat
  • jen_take_2
    jen_take_2 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! My husband and I are starting Keto full force on Sunday. We’re doing “Keto-lite” this week to get more familiar with the food and how changing our diets will impact our daily lives and our kiddos.

So far I’ve adjusted to no complex carbs ok and have increased my water intake like mad!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Josefontao wrote: »
    I'm a mother of 4 I just started keto, and I'm going under my calories or over my carbs I have no clue how to do this...... and I dont get enought fat

Hmmm. Eat less carbs and more fats. Get fats from avocados, mct oil, olive oil, cheese, dark chocolate, bacon, eggs, meats, chicken with the skin. Stop eating carbs. Look at the ingredients of what you eat. If it has more than 6 carbs or sugars per serving, don’t eat it, or eat half a serving instead. It is very important that you increase your leafy greens intake to keep your electrolytes in check. I’m talking at least 5 cups of leafy greens per day (spinach, kale, lettuce, etc).
    To be in keto, 70% of your calories should come from fat and you shouldn’t eat more than 25 grams of carbs per day. It’s hard to eat such little carbs but it’s doable.
    Don’t count carbs from vegetables.
    Excessive protein will also take you out of keto.
    Consider doing intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast or dinner). If you eat enough fats, you will not get hungry and it becomes very easy to skip a meal. The skipped meal creates a calorie deficit and will be even easier to lose weight.
    I’ve lost 30lb in keto in 2.5 months. I’ve reached my target weight and have started increasing carbs so I don’t keep loosing weight.
    Fats don’t make you fat, carbs make you fat.
    I can’t overemphasized how important it is to eat lots and lots of leafy greens while doing keto.

Both the bold are false. In order to get into ketosis, you just need to restrict carbs. Body builders do it with 300g of protein and there is no evidence to back that protein will kick you out of ketosis. The argument is that protein converts to sugar (glucose), which is true, but so do fatty acids via glucenogenesis. All you need to do to get in ketosis is be somewhere between 20-50g, depending on your activity level (heck, if you are a long distance person, you can be in ketosis at over 100-200g of carbs).

And if carbs make you fat, then the longest living and healthy populations in the world wouldn't be 70-80% carbs (i.e., blue zones). And it doesn't even consider the fact that carbs rarely convert to fat, as demonstrated by de novo lipogenesis studies.

OP, if you want more friends, I would check out: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I have been keto for just over a year, it's magic for treating my migraines.

Keto is pretty easy - eat your protein as a minimum, eat your carbs as a maximum, don't worry about limiting your fat, but if you are trying to lose weight then you don't need to worry about hitting that as a minimum because you have plenty of fat already attached to you for your body to use. Get plenty of salt to offset the water loss and keep minerals in balance.

If you are trying to lose weight, then keep your calories within goal for weight loss.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Hmmm. Eat less carbs and more fats. Get fats from avocados, mct oil, olive oil, cheese, dark chocolate, bacon, eggs, meats, chicken with the skin. Stop eating carbs. Look at the ingredients of what you eat. If it has more than 6 carbs or sugars per serving, don’t eat it, or eat half a serving instead. It is very important that you increase your leafy greens intake to keep your electrolytes in check. I’m talking at least 5 cups of leafy greens per day (spinach, kale, lettuce, etc).
    To be in keto, 70% of your calories should come from fat and you shouldn’t eat more than 25 grams of carbs per day. It’s hard to eat such little carbs but it’s doable.
    Consider doing intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast or dinner). If you eat enough fats, you will not get hungry and it becomes very easy to skip a meal. The skipped meal creates a calorie deficit and will be even easier to lose weight.
    I’ve lost 30lb in keto in 2.5 months. I’ve reached my target weight and have started increasing carbs so I don’t keep loosing weight.
    I can’t overemphasized how important it is to eat lots and lots of leafy greens while doing keto.

Both the bold are false. In order to get into ketosis, you just need to restrict carbs. Body builders do it with 300g of protein and there is no evidence to back that protein will kick you out of ketosis. The argument is that protein converts to sugar (glucose), which is true, but so do fatty acids via glucenogenesis. All you need to do to get in ketosis is be somewhere between 20-50g, depending on your activity level (heck, if you are a long distance person, you can be in ketosis at over 100-200g of carbs).

And if carbs make you fat, then the longest living and healthy populations in the world wouldn't be 70-80% carbs (i.e., blue zones). And it doesn't even consider the fact that carbs rarely convert to fat, as demonstrated by de novo lipogenesis studies.

OP, if you want more friends, I would check out: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

I second all of this. My carbs are usually in the 60s (net in the 30s or 40s) and I’m in ketosis just fine. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be. Aim for up to 10% of your calories from net carbs (carb grams minus fiber grams, times 4, then compare the result to your calorie total so far). My diary is open and if I logged it, it was keto.

Eat in a deficit to lose weight; eat keto if it helps you to sustain a deficit. It certainly has for me, but it’s just a different way of eating, not a magic bullet.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member

To add to what was said up-thread, this is only true if you keep your calories in check for the meals that you do eat. I made it to 280 lbs eating 2 meals a day for most of my life...