DNA kit to test best diet and exercise

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    After working in the industry, I think DNA testing across wide swaths of people will end up being a very good thing in time, but even the Ancestry ones won't be of much help to most people because what they *think* they will find out is really not what the results will disclose. Ancestry is either extremely micro (as in, immediate family) or extremely macro (as in, 100,000 years ago your ancestors lived here - pointing to an entire continent.) Not really what people think they will get at all.

In time these shared databases with computer number-crunching will be really helpful for disease prevention and for diagnostic purposes.

We're not there yet. Not enough population data has been collected.

I did a test, just a general ID test because why not? I don't think my insurance company is going to use it against me. My tin foil hat is on someone else's head. If I get a disease, they still have to pay. It is only a problem if/when there are health insurance exclusion clauses (pre-existing conditions exclusions) - which I don't think are legal right now. If I have a marker I may or may not get that illness before I fall off a cliff hiking.

You touch on my thoughts. I have little issue with a DNA testing company selling my info anonymously for research (if they ask my permission first). I have HUGE issues with all the crap insurance companies pass around to deny medical coverage or rate your policies.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If it was cheap and you could get some useful information other than what exercise or diet you should be doing then maybe yes for entertainment value. I have strong doubts unless they ask a lot of qualifying questions upfront like weight, height, build and fitness level. Of course if they ask all of that what is the test revealing?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    jesselee10 wrote: »
    I just purchased a DNA kit that will test what diet and exercise program is best for my body. Has anyone done one of these and did the results make a difference when followed?

Heard of it.

Determines if you have slightly more fast or slow twitch fibers for the exercise side of things.

Diet attempts to see if allergies or sensitivities to things. This is less known for what genes might show other things.

In either case - it's giving advice for what you might consider the minors that allow the 15% improvement when you've already done the majors taking care of the 85% of stuff that will show improvement.

Like if a pro athlete and to find a certain type of workout can get you that last little bit of improvement easier rather than harder.

Now, I guess if a teenager wondering if you should go for sprints or endurance length race training and events - might be interesting.
    But I'm pretty sure a good coach can look at equal training and determine the same type of preference.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jesselee10 wrote: »
    Well I am pretty fit already just trying to loose the extra 5-10% body fat. I have seen high end fitness people do this test and results would indicate if individual would be better on a higher carb diet va high protein, high fat, etc and exercise based on individual. I already do lots of weight training but interested to see if adding liss cardio or hitt would be better for my body type.

For those talking about selling my dna to government I did think of that but with all the stuff out there now with smart phones I think that is more worrisome. The only thing that could be crazy is if they can telepathically alter my being with the dna they have😬

The more science fiction you read/watch, the scarier it becomes, right??? :lol: