How to increase Cardio/Endurance on two bad knees...........

Options
I'm looking for a program that will help me build my cardio & endurance despite two bad knees.
So walking and running are not an option. :(
Biking definitely is or perhaps something else ??
I'm looking for a defined, set program..... Tuesday do this.... Wednesday do that.
I used to run marathons so I understand the principal of building up, rest weeks, etc.
And I absolutely thrive on a schedule....
I just don't know how to do it other ways than running.
Note: When osteoarthritis in both knees stopped me from running I kind of lost myself for awhile.... gained alot of weight and am pretty much starting from scratch here.
I'm scheduled for a TKR next year and need to be ready for it.
I have lost 50 lbs from April and have another 75 or so to go.
Any and all help greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    swimming was my first thought too.

if you dont know already: glucosamin will help you with osteoarthritis
  • tanny20171
    tanny20171 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I'm looking for a program that will help me build my cardio & endurance despite two bad knees.
    So walking and running are not an option. :(
    Biking definitely is or perhaps something else ??
    I'm looking for a defined, set program..... Tuesday do this.... Wednesday do that.
    I used to run marathons so I understand the principal of building up, rest weeks, etc.
    And I absolutely thrive on a schedule....
    I just don't know how to do it other ways than running.
    Note: When osteoarthritis in both knees stopped me from running I kind of lost myself for awhile.... gained alot of weight and am pretty much starting from scratch here.
    I'm scheduled for a TKR next year and need to be ready for it.
    I have lost 50 lbs from April and have another 75 or so to go.
    Any and all help greatly appreciated. :)

I'm certainly no expert but I know swimming is meant to be non weight bearing and safe for people with joint problems?

Well done by the way for your weight loss that is amazing!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a swimming and biking mix would get the endurance results you are after. Find a cycling and a swimming program you like. Besides outdoor group rides, there are some good spin bike classes around as well as bike trainer programs for home use if weather is an issue. A mix of cycling with a swim program at your local pool should give you a 5/6 day schedule that builds plenty of cardio endurance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My knees are a mess but cycling works really well for me.
    After the last two major injuries my prognosis was a TKR by age 50, I'm now 57 and still going strong and as fit as a flea.
    A mile running causes more knee issues for me than 100 miles cycling!

For a defined program the British Heart Foundation have some good programs for getting people from their current status up to a certain mileage.
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/training-zone/cycling-training-zone

• jerms9
    jerms9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have no knee cartiledge in my right knee and not much left in the left knee. Supplements haven't done jack for me, of course YMIM. Swimming and biking. Actually just started spin classes. Was worried spin would be too hard on my knees and haven't had any issues yet. Granted I'm mostly sitting my butt in the saddle for most class but delightfully surprised at how spinning is going knee pain wise for me.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb -- Was that supposed to be "rowing"? That's what I was going to suggest. Rowing would be a workout too, I guess. ;)

The Concept2 rowing machine website has an excellent rowing log. It also has fun challenges to participate in. If you have access to a newer machine (PM5) and a smart phone, you can Bluetooth download and then upload your workouts to the log. Also, if you Google "rowing Pete Plan" you'll find a nicely scheduled rowing plan that will increase difficulty in an appropriate way.

Rowing on the water in a club is fun too. :)
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis (bone-on-bone) in both knees. Will need to have them both replaced soon. Rowing is my favorite for a good combination of cardio and strength training (full body, one set, 2500 reps B) ). I've worked my way up to 15,000 meters (about an hour and a half a day) without further damage to my knees. I also used the stationary bike when I first got back to the gym and working out. It was good, but didn't give me the full-body workout I wanted. Swimming would be another good option for low knee impact full-body work with cardio. I'd say give each of them a try and see which of them gets you best motivated to keep at it for the long haul. Could end up being a combination of two or all three of them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    @lorrpb -- Was that supposed to be "rowing"? That's what I was going to suggest. Rowing would be a workout too, I guess. ;)

The Concept2 rowing machine website has an excellent rowing log. It also has fun challenges to participate in. If you have access to a newer machine (PM5) and a smart phone, you can Bluetooth download and then upload your workouts to the log. Also, if you Google "rowing Pete Plan" you'll find a nicely scheduled rowing plan that will increase difficulty in an appropriate way.

Rowing on the water in a club is fun too. :)

Rowing yes!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!! I was considering rowing - its great to hear the positive responses on it... especially those with knee issues also. :)
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    One more vote for rowing. Easy on the joints but physically challenging.
  • beckyr06
    beckyr06 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues as well, and am not a runner, but used to walk 5 miles daily, including up some major hills. Can't do that anymore on pavement, I feel too much pain about 10 minutes in, but I have found that hiking (on actual ground) doesn't cause the same problems for me. I feel "worked" in the knee joints but not to extreme.

My main exercises this summer have been alternating biking and swimming, and my knees haven't felt this good in years. Not perfect, mind you, but much better.

Best wishes to you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!! I was considering rowing - its great to hear the positive responses on it... especially those with knee issues also. :)

I row mostly as x-training but would also highly recommend it if there are reasons that you can't run any more. Concpt2's website has great information on it and if you join their on-line community there are lots of challenges etc during the year (we actually have a virtual team here at MFP for some of these events called MFP Friends.....the more the merrier!)
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

I row mostly as x-training but would also highly recommend it if there are reasons that you can't run any more. Concpt2's website has great information on it and if you join their on-line community there are lots of challenges etc during the year (we actually have a virtual team here at MFP for some of these events called MFP Friends.....the more the merrier!)

Do you have to have a Concept2 rower to participate?
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Looking for friends with serious knee issues and pre & post TKR friends.
  • joyinjesus1
    joyinjesus1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your knees bother you I'm was going thru same thing but I'm thinking about swimming right now I lift alot weights which helps
  • joyinjesus1
    joyinjesus1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Looking for friends with serious knee issues and pre & post TKR friends.

I've been taking elasti joint it's a powder you can take up to two times a day
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You have done so well already! Keep on, keeping on!

I would recommend using a recumbent bike, rowing machine, and weights for upper body.
    I have had knee issues since I had an accident in 1967.
    Now I use a recumbent bike every time I go to the gym, which is usually 3 times a week.
    I also use a rowing machine and use weights, mostly for upper body.
    I also was lucky to get a free session with a trainer when I first joined. He showed me some exercises that helped my knee and that was when I was about 25 pounds heavier than now. I don't do them any more though because my knee is better.

I actually avoid lifting weights that puts extra weight on my knees though, because I feel tightness in my "bad" knee when I try to carry heavy things.