Told to Gain Weight

Options
pkweier
pkweier Posts: 349 Member
edited October 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
My work provide a InBody test by Crossfit so thought why not let's see my numbers. I weight in like I always do every morning, went for test I was 1 pound thinner according to them. She said I was doing great my body fat percent was 20.2 my BMI is 20.7 my Basal Metabolic rate is 1345 which she explained to me what I burn if I was in a coma. This is what I find interesting MFP only gives me 1445 to maintain. The next thing she said shocked me told me I could stay to gain 5-10 pounds as I was so thin. I proceeded to bring out my pictures of me before I started my journey told her no way that was going to happen because if I start I might not stopped. She agreed stay right where I am at and not to lose more,

Now my issue I'm having trying to get her words out of my head to gain. I have been fighting to get those words out of my head all week. I don't want it to give me a reason to eat.

Pam

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are healthy. You have the opportunity to get healthier.

Since you are in maintenance (bravo!) your next project might be to have a balanced view about food.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    In addition to what tavistock mentioned, given this was in the context of a CrossFit setting that initial advice was likely with the pespective of often evaluating athletes who may have more muscle mass than you do. However, that’s purely spectulative given the details.
  • pkweier
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

The woman is right, based off BMI you could stand to gain a few pounds and still be in the healthy weight range... doesn't mean you need to though.

Do you maintain on net 1445?

I'm 5'5 and I maintain around that number I do log all of my meals sometimes I pop a piece of cheese or candy in my mouth which I don't log.

• pkweier
    Options
    I would not say you are so thin you need to gain. You are at a perfectly healthy BMI. Don't listen to her. Just keep doing what you are doing. Most people have a skewed perception of healthy since it's abnormal now to be a healthy weight. (since 70 percent are overweight obese)

You are above the underweight cutoff by a good 2.5 points, so no need to worry or think you have to gain weight. (Unless you want to be at the high end of normal BMI)

Out of curiosity was she bigger than you?

She was a little bigger then me although I would say not by much

• pkweier
    Options
    Pam, you sound like you are perfect right where you are. Do you feel good? Your stats are healthy. Sometimes people say things without thinking and obviously after she found out you had lost so much weight she "walked it back". You are one of the folks on maintenance I respect and look up to. I agree sometimes when folks say things it IS hard to get it out of your head. But you did not lose 200 pounds listening to all the rail birds. We are here for you! Hang in and it will fade quickly,

Thank you for your kind words. So many people I admire for keeping it together you are one of them

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    pkweier wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You are not near underweight so you don't need to gain. But what are your goals? If you have a certain physique in mind or to compete, perhaps she was making the recommendation to bulk. In your case, I wouldn't gain unless you were ready though. Your bodyfat percent should be taken into account as well. I'm not sure how accurate that test was, but once you are 20% and below (ex. arms, back, abs, legs start to show definition) it is a good time to bulk if you wanted.

Maybe look into maintenance for now and work on fitness and body composition goals.

I'm happy where I'm at

Then stay where you are!

Second this! I have your exact same stats and I feel it's a perfectly good place to be. I do agree that I could get by with gaining an additional 5-10lbs in muscle if I wanted to (and I might), but there is absolutely no need if you are happy. You are not too thin.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    My work provide a InBody test by Crossfit so thought why not let's see my numbers. I weight in like I always do every morning, went for test I was 1 pound thinner according to them. She said I was doing great my body fat percent was 20.2 my BMI is 20.7 my Basal Metabolic rate is 1345 which she explained to me what I burn if I was in a coma. This is what I find interesting MFP only gives me 1445 to maintain. The next thing she said shocked me told me I could stay to gain 5-10 pounds as I was so thin. I proceeded to bring out my pictures of me before I started my journey told her no way that was going to happen because if I start I might not stopped. She agreed stay right where I am at and not to lose more,

Now my issue I'm having trying to get her words out of my head to gain. I have been fighting to get those words out of my head all week. I don't want it to give me a reason to eat.

Pam

People look very different at the same bmi. The low bmi range does look too thin ( bony) to me on some people but some people pull it off fine. I would go by how you feel and if you are able to do what you want to do with your life.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options

The woman is right, based off BMI you could stand to gain a few pounds and still be in the healthy weight range... doesn't mean you need to though.

I'm 5'5 and I maintain around that number I do log all of my meals sometimes I pop a piece of cheese or candy in my mouth which I don't log.

You didn't say what your weight actually is..
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

You didn't say what your weight actually is..

OP said 5'5 and maintaining with 1445 cals, I'd guess around 125.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great feedback and suggestions here!!!!
  • pkweier
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. I'm ,5'5 weigh 125 My family also think I could gain a little weight back they see me as bony. I have been in maintenance since September 2017 at that time I was 155 lost 30 more pounds since then. I appreciate all your help and feedback.