Is there value in only lifting weights for certain body areas without doing others?

Options
2»

Replies

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    I guess I may be using the wrong terminology and creating confusion. I do use hand weights and do squats and lunges with those, but I always see people here talking about using barbells and using very heavy weights. So, I should be good with the hand weights? Another question while I am asking questions LOL: how do I build up to be able to do an old fashioned "chin-up"? I know my arms are getting stronger, but I tried again this morning to do a chin-up and I still couldn't do one. If it matters, I am not over weight - I weigh 110 lbs. Thanks to everyone for attempting to clue me in :)

The important thing is that you lift a little heavier every time. That's how you get stronger. Add five pounds to the weights you squat with every week. Before long, the heaviest weight you thought you could lift will be your warm-up weight. Work your way up to the bar, and then up past that. You're not on a time limit. Fitness is forever; take as long as you need.

In terms of chin-ups, I wish I could help. Indeed, I wish I could do a chin-up. I can rack-pull 365 pounds but chin-ups defeat me. It just takes time and effort and a lot of practice. Try putting a chin-up bar over your bedroom door and doing negatives every time you go through it (that means jumping up to where your chin is over the bar and then lowering yourself slowly back down). That should help.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Never in a million years did I think I would be lifting weights AND competing in powerlifting comps at my age and I'll be 60 next year! I started out working with a trainer using machines and dumbbells when I was 56. I'm probably one of the most uncoordinated people ever too lol. I progressed to deadlifts, then squats and bench. You don't need spotters for deadlifting and squats only require spotters if you go heavy AND there are no safeties on the rack. The gym I go to has adjustable safeties so I rarely use spotters and I squat 250 lbs. Bench would definitely require a spotter when you are starting out.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is relative. Whatever is heavy to you is "lifting heavy."

I trained consistently for about a year before I could do a pull-up. I used the assisted pull-up machine, banded pull-ups, and negatives to train.

exactly this.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Try putting a chin-up bar over your bedroom door and doing negatives every time you go through it (that means jumping up to where your chin is over the bar and then lowering yourself slowly back down). That should help.

I love that idea! Never heard of negative chin-ups. Thank you!

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I love this thread, very inspirational!

GO Linda!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Try putting a chin-up bar over your bedroom door and doing negatives every time you go through it (that means jumping up to where your chin is over the bar and then lowering yourself slowly back down). That should help.

I love that idea! Never heard of negative chin-ups. Thank you!

Speaking as an older, shorter, very injury averse person, I avoid jumping into a chin up negative. The impact at the grab is a little hard to control. I like to step up on something (small stepstool, block) that gets me to the right start height, grip the bar, and step off my support into a controlled negative.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks to each of you who took the time to respond and share your tips and encouragement. It is very much appreciated :)