Sweetener - which is the best tasting?

Options
Sorry if there’s already a thread on this one 😬, but I have trouble with sweeteners, I always find they make food taste even worse? Like that awful aftertaste?

What brands do u guys use?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Are you referring to artificial sweeteners? They are all nasty IMO.
    • For tea, I just tapered down to 1/2 teaspoon sugar per teacup (14 oz).
    • For coffee, instead of sugar I add chocolate protein powder that has some stevia in it.
    • I'm ok with stevia in certain conditions, like Whole Food's Chocolate Whey protein powder and the Celestial Seasonings tea that adds it.
    • I've tried other protein powders with stevia that I didn't like - I think Whole Food's vanilla PP.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I also prefer sugar; just getting used to less of it.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use stevia for hot drinks, etc. But for baking, depending on what I bake, I use splenda for baking or splenda regular
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I use stevia, can’t use it in coffee though because I don’t like the taste I use skinny girl syrups instead.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I use liquid sucralose. I haven’t noticed an aftertaste with it. I also have some teas that include monk fruit. I’ve never liked stevia at all.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I also use liquid sucralose. It's truly a zero calorie sweetener. I get it from Amazon. Other artificial sweeteners have an aftertaste to me.

You might feel differently, though. This is one of those things where tastes really vary.
  • longbranch92
    longbranch92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use Erythritol. It’s a natural sweetener that looks and tastes like granulated sugar. It’s expensive so I use it sparingly.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I use Erythritol. It’s a natural sweetener that looks and tastes like granulated sugar. It’s expensive so I use it sparingly.

This⬆ or monkfruit or Swerve. Really depends what the stores have stocked.

I haven't really been drinking coffee lately or eating/ baking, so I haven't really needed that added sweetener.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    sugar!
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I also use liquid sucralose. It's truly a zero calorie sweetener. I get it from Amazon. Other artificial sweeteners have an aftertaste to me.

You might feel differently, though. This is one of those things where tastes really vary.

Count me in on the liquid sucralose bandwagon. I also order mine on Amazon because the stuff available at the supermarket (liquid Splenda) is pretty expensive.
  • dmz1983
    dmz1983 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I try to vary my sweetners. I use almost exclusively sugar free varieties. I use stevia from Whole Leaf-packets. I also like the chocolate and the english toffee liquid versions for coffee. By the afternoon, I switch over to Splenda. Splenda tastes good and is wonderful for baking. I think I am one of the few that has a hard time with Stevia being a major diuretic as well as lowering my blood pressure too low. That's why I switch over in the afternoon or I'm up all night peeing!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I LOVE truvia and found it is the best tasting with least aftertaste. I also love plain stevia powder from any brand. I have found the pure stevia powder tastes the same, but it is an acquired taste and very strong. Truvia, however, is very similar to sugar especially if you are just going to be using a little bit.

I hate equal and find splenda just okay. I use way too many artificial sweeteners... (1/4c or more a day) so I usually order stevia powder in bulk.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Sugar, lol. Seriously, I don't like artificial sweeteners at all (or I should say '0 calorie sweeteners because I don't like stevia or monkfruit etc either).
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Sugar--just less of it (though I do drink Diet Coke on a rare occasion).
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like spenda
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Splenda and Stevia are my choices. I still use some sugar.

I put them in coffee, Greek yogurt and oatmeal almost daily. That saves me about 100 calories a day.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach the taste of stevia. I use sugar, saccharin or sucralose. Also erythriol when baking, but sparingly (due to the cost).
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The only thing I use sweetener in is sweet tea, and I use Splenda.