Options

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    fish9283 wrote: »
    Maple syrup for athletes is a thing. They sell individual packets for runners and cyclists. Google it.
    Mrs. Buttersworth isn't maple syrup. It is artificially flavored maple sugar water.

Not even sugar (although there is a little molasses in it for flavor):

Mrs Butterworth's Original ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Molasses, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Polysorbate 60.

I mean, corn syrup is sugar though.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Maple syrup for athletes is a thing. They sell individual packets for runners and cyclists. Google it.
    Mrs. Buttersworth isn't maple syrup. It is artificially flavored maple sugar water.

Thank you for posting this as a Canadian I was offended.

I have learned at many sugar shacks maply syrup has lots of calcium. I mens you have to have a litre or more but it's kinda healthy.

Seriously though I'd assume the sugar gave you a boost of energy. And why did you HAVE to run? Was your life threatened if you didn't?

From the bottom of my heart, I apologize for offending you for calling something marketing as syrup "Maple Syrup". I will try to be much more informed on products before making any more hastily written posts on this page.

And yes, it absolutely was a life and death matter that I complete my run last night. As a runner I am offended you even ask. :wink:

On behalf of all Canadians, we'll excuse you. For this time. :wink:

Only once. It still stings a little.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Mrs Butterworth's Original ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Molasses, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Polysorbate 60.

I mean, corn syrup is sugar though.

Technically, corn syrup is made up of sugars (regular corn syrup is 100% glucose where HFCS is equal parts glucose and fructose). Sugar is also made up of sugars (sucrose). They are not the same thing but are in the same general chemical family.

The glucose (regular corn syrup) in Mrs. Butterworths is probably what hit the OP's system first for fast energy.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I feel like I’m reading a scene from SuperTroopers
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Interesting, didn’t know that was a thing. Does it have to be syrups?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Interesting, didn’t know that was a thing. Does it have to be syrups?

Syrup, energy gel, glucose tabs, etc all work similarly. They are sugars (especially glucose) in an easily absorbed form. Sucking on a hard candy doesn't work as fast.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Regarding real maple syrup, I heard grade B is better than grade A. I can't find grade B. Do y'all eat it all?
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I normally eat a Lender’s Bagel with Smucker’s fruit spread (sugar vs high fructose corn syrup) or I eat Motts Apple Sauce with some Wheat Thins. But the syrup was definitely a faster boost and I like running without anything voluminous in my stomach.
  • earlnabby
    edited October 2018
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    Regarding real maple syrup, I heard grade B is better than grade A. I can't find grade B. Do y'all eat it all?

Most find grade "B" to be for cooking only because it has a harsher flavor. It has gained notoriety as being the grade to use in a "Master Cleanse" but the reasoning of those woo peddlers for that is wrong. It is just made from the last sap of the season and has nothing to do with refining since no maple syrup is ever refined.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Butterworth is pancake syrup, not real Maple syrup.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    But in all seriousness here. I asked about whether or not other runners have had success using syrup as a source of fuel right before a run. I didn’t have time to make my normal pre-run snack as I was fighting against a setting sun and empty belly. I don’t care if you don’t like my choice of words regarding Mrs Buttersworth. I simply had a great run, best pace in 3 months and thought, hey let me ask if anyone else has had success using syrup instead of bread, oatmeal, PB, gels, etc. I can’t imagine how someone feels making a post truly confused about something and receiving these types of comments. It simply was a “Hey, anyone else eat syrup and found it worked well”.

It really doesn't matter what form the sugar comes in, your body treats various sugars without other macros present to slow down digestion pretty similarly, it quickly gets turned into glucose in your blood and used to fuel your run. I often fuel using Smarties candy, or frozen orange slices. As long as you can swallow it and it doesn't upset your stomach it's all good.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I steal the packets of honey from restaurants for this exact reason.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've used maple syrup both in the packet form(like a GU packet) and in a waffle (like honey stinger waffles). Found the waffles last summer at a race in Quebec. I really liked eating the maple filled waffles as a supplement to my normal liquid fuel while on the bike. I've also recently tried both plain maple syrup and coffee infused maple syrup packets for running. Found them at my local running store.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I normally eat a Lender’s Bagel with Smucker’s fruit spread (sugar vs high fructose corn syrup) or I eat Motts Apple Sauce with some Wheat Thins. But the syrup was definitely a faster boost and I like running without anything voluminous in my stomach.

I'm tempted to try this before a swim. Sometimes I know that I have to eat before I get into the pool, but there are times when I have had something that just doesn't sit well, but other things do. I totally get it, OP. And tbh, I just can't stand Mrs. B's... No criticism of you here ;). I think it's awesome that you got such a shot of energy from that. It beats caffeine which would have no calories. You've got me curious now...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I’ve had a couple teaspoons of pure maple syrup before a run or lifting. It acts quick, and tastes good.
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Played golf today and got finished later than expected. Got home and had to run 3.5 miles before it got dark so I didn’t have much time to eat a snack (breakfast before golf, no lunch). So I opened the fridge and thought, Mrs Buttersworth. So I had about a TBS of syrup, drank some water and went on my merry way. Best pace I’ve had since my last race. Anyone else have experience using syrup? It tasted great and I feel a super sugar high still (I’m about one hour post digestion).

....... you're Canadian, aren't you?

Canadians would hit Quebec maple syrup. ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Fructose is sugar.....

OP anything with simple sugars in them will do the same. I make my own energy "gel" for longer runs that consists of 3 parts honey & one part molasses (lots of potassium) a pinch of salt and just enough water to thin it enough to take in an gel flask. Way cheaper than buying energy gels and probably better than straight syrup (electrolytes)
  • clynds
    clynds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nature's power gel!
  • earlnabby
    edited October 2018
    Options

Fructose is sugar.....

OP anything with simple sugars in them will do the same. I make my own energy "gel" for longer runs that consists of 3 parts honey & one part molasses (lots of potassium) a pinch of salt and just enough water to thin it enough to take in an gel flask. Way cheaper than buying energy gels and probably better than straight syrup (electrolytes)

Fructose is a sugar (monosaccharide to be specific). Sugar is sucrose which is also a sugar (disaccharide). Food labels can only use the term "sugar" as an ingredient if it is sucrose. There is no sugar in Mrs. Butterworth.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    All this discussion about maple syrup is making me want cornbread for breakfast.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    x76p0vrwsr40.jpg