Mean girls

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I definitely remember the bag lady stage. It's hard to spend money on new things when you know you're just going to have to buy everything again.

I spent (and still do spend) a lot of time at thrift/consignment stores so I can still feel good at my current size while I work toward smaller sizes. Maybe think about investing a little in a few pieces at your current size.

And you're right, comments about your weight loss are rarely actually about YOU--they are usually a reflection of the commenter. Sometimes people just don't know how to acknowledge something that they know have changed. I know when I see someone who has lost weight, I don't even know the best way to acknowledge it. I typically go with something like, "You look so awesome!"
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I don't know what your job is, but from reading your post it sounds like it could just be that it was odd for you to be wearing business casual instead of your normal scrubs. Don't let what you think those girls were thinking about dictate what you do or what you wear, because in all likelihood, it's all in your head. If it's more appropriate for you to wear scrubs to work, maybe you should go buy a couple that actually fit.

ETA I just read your update and it does sound like maybe that girl was a little jealous. I still don't think you should wear oversized scrubs because of that. Wear what you are comfortable in. I would not be comfortable in clothes that fit me 47 lbs ago
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Geesh..... life is too short to let what you think others are thinking bother you.... You've done amazing !

And it was probably just a shock to them...... seriously, peoples memories are short .... give it a week or two or three and life goes on and they will have forgotten the "old" you. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the great responses, guys!
    To answer some questions: we are allowed to wear business casual or scrubs (I work the front desk at an animal hospital). All of the girls at the front wear either things from time to time- yesterday was my first time switching it up. The hospital is privately owned and does not provide an allowance for scrubs. I haven’t purchased any new scrubs during the time that I’ve been losing weight (down 47 lbs since March) and I don’t plan on making that investment until I reach my goal (only 13 lbs left before goal).
    I do believe that some of the weird treatment was due to my weight loss- one person even said “I can’t even see you when you turn sideways” but it was said in a weird tone, not friendly and supportive. Some of the girls are a little heavy.
    With all that being said, I think the main thing I got from all of your responses was this: I shouldn’t assume their behavior was about me. Maybe they were having a hard day and I took the treatment personally. I’m just in new territory and feeling a little uncomfortable.
    I think I’ll go back to the bag lady look for a little while, just until I reach my goal and can afford new scrubs (wearing business casual was probably too bold of a reveal, lol).
    I’ll kill ‘em all with kindness and I’m sure in the end it’ll all work out. Thanks for all the support as I tread these new and unfamiliar waters ☺️

That's a better plan: No need to change your behavior based on what you think others are thinking (which tends to set one up for emotional whiplash! ;) ).

I especially like your "kill 'em with kindness", take-the-high-road plan: It's the best revenge, and tends to confuse the mean people (who'll be wondering what you're thinking ;) . . . bless their hearts.).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the great responses, guys!
    To answer some questions: we are allowed to wear business casual or scrubs (I work the front desk at an animal hospital). All of the girls at the front wear either things from time to time- yesterday was my first time switching it up. The hospital is privately owned and does not provide an allowance for scrubs. I haven’t purchased any new scrubs during the time that I’ve been losing weight (down 47 lbs since March) and I don’t plan on making that investment until I reach my goal (only 13 lbs left before goal).
    I do believe that some of the weird treatment was due to my weight loss- one person even said “I can’t even see you when you turn sideways” but it was said in a weird tone, not friendly and supportive. Some of the girls are a little heavy.
    With all that being said, I think the main thing I got from all of your responses was this: I shouldn’t assume their behavior was about me. Maybe they were having a hard day and I took the treatment personally. I’m just in new territory and feeling a little uncomfortable.
    I think I’ll go back to the bag lady look for a little while, just until I reach my goal and can afford new scrubs (wearing business casual was probably too bold of a reveal, lol).
    I’ll kill ‘em all with kindness and I’m sure in the end it’ll all work out. Thanks for all the support as I tread these new and unfamiliar waters ☺️

You should wear clothes you feel good in that fit you and let others work out their own feelings. If they continue to make comments about your body you can just tell them to stop and that they are being inappropriate and unprofessional.

You could buy some scrubs that will probably fit you now and at your goal. I don't imagine your size in scrubs will be that vastly different after another 13 lbs.
    You could get your clothes altered. You could check a thrift store for clothes.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Do not let their stank attitudes dictate how you dress/act. Let them look you up and down. Just look them directly in the eyes and give them your biggest smile and say "Yeah.. I know I look good. And walk that healthy *kitten* away giving them a good view of what their jealous selves wish they could have.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Could be a bit of social gravity in vitro. Humans are pattern seeking and get stressed when something changes without notification.

I agree with the consensus - kill 'em with kindness. If someone asks just tell them you're trying something new and needed a change. Don't waste time trying to assume what other people may be thinking.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I would buy some smaller scrubs and let the haters hate!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Just like in high school mean girls suck. Be proud of what you've accomplished. Get yourself some well fitting scrubs and wear those instead of business casual if that makes you feel better. Never let someone else's attitude or opinion affect yours. You are worth more than that. Be proud of what you've done!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Another here who thinks you should get a set or two to fit you now. Maybe one pair of pants and 2 coordinating tops. You only have 13 more pounds to go which isn't even a full size for most people. When you reach your goal, you will gave some slightly more comfy scrubs to wear on days when you want to be comfy or you need to wear a t-shirt underneath for extra warmth along with your nice fitting ones.

Another vote for buying scrubs that fit you. Thrift shop?