Maple Syrup For Fuel

Options

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    margbarco wrote: »
    Mrs. Butterworth is pancake syrup an offense against the gods, not real Maple syrup.

Fixed that for you.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    Regarding real maple syrup, I heard grade B is better than grade A. I can't find grade B. Do y'all eat it all?

@hroderick, your comment made me curious, so I did a little digging. We used to get Grade B maple syrup all the time - it is more robust and richer than Grade A.

Apparently maple syrup grading has changed in the last couple of years, so all maple syrup sold for eating is now a variety of "Grade A".

Here's an article about it: https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/grade-b-maple-syrup-buying-guide-article

And here's an infographic from another site:
    ex1tqq65ki8v.jpg

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    fish9283 wrote: »
    Maple syrup for athletes is a thing. They sell individual packets for runners and cyclists. Google it.
    Mrs. Buttersworth isn't maple syrup. It is artificially flavored maple sugar water.

Not even sugar (although there is a little molasses in it for flavor):

Mrs Butterworth's Original ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Molasses, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Polysorbate 60.

Fructose is sugar.....

OP anything with simple sugars in them will do the same. I make my own energy "gel" for longer runs that consists of 3 parts honey & one part molasses (lots of potassium) a pinch of salt and just enough water to thin it enough to take in an gel flask. Way cheaper than buying energy gels and probably better than straight syrup (electrolytes)

Fructose is a sugar (monosaccharide to be specific). Sugar is sucrose which is also a sugar (disaccharide). Food labels can only use the term "sugar" as an ingredient if it is sucrose. There is no sugar in Mrs. Butterworth.

At the risk of being pedantic the term sugar refers to monosaccharides as well disaccharides unless you're limiting your definition to that white granular stuff that we put in our coffee.

The sugar family includes sucrose, fructose, lactose to name but a few.

I'd love to see a manufacturer try to claim a product containing HFCS as being "sugar free" which would fit your definition.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Not maple syrup, but I've used slightly diluted honey, mixed with a bit of molasses, as fuel during a road marathon and a 50K. I've since trained my body to burn more fat, and I prefer real food during ultras so I don't use it any longer. But yeah, if you need or want a sugar for fuel it should work.

I remember as a small child watching a neighborhood girl drink syrup straight from the bottle. I was impressed. She could do that, punt footballs, and whistle loudly. <3
    @JeromeBarry1 this would be a better story if you told us that you ended up marrying the girl. ;)

People getting triggered for calling Mrs. Butterworth maple syrup, LOL!!!

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I know runners who make their own fuel packs with honey. Maple syrup seems like a viable option, too.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Played golf today and got finished later than expected. Got home and had to run 3.5 miles before it got dark so I didn’t have much time to eat a snack (breakfast before golf, no lunch). So I opened the fridge and thought, Mrs Buttersworth. So I had about a TBS of syrup, drank some water and went on my merry way. Best pace I’ve had since my last race. Anyone else have experience using syrup? It tasted great and I feel a super sugar high still (I’m about one hour post digestion).

....... you're Canadian, aren't you?

Oy! No Canadian would ever refer to that swill as "Maple Syrup". Those poor southerners who have never tasted real maple syrup are forgiven for their confusion.

But to the original question: Most race/workout fuel is a syrup (from some sugar or starch source)(if liquid/gel form) or a gelatinized(or similar process) syrup (if chewables) with some electrolytes added.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yup totally a thing. good for you finding out on your own. if you want to use it as is, go for it. otherwise, there are prepackaged running fuels that use syrup (maple) as the base.
    i've also used honey or molasses. or peanut butter
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I prefer chewable-type fuel and keep a 90-count box of fruit snacks (Betty Crocker "Scooby Snacks") in my car. (basically jellied corn syrup).

(I'm a Buffalonian.. so not quite Canadian).
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    pgu9yfiuop8t.png

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Played golf today and got finished later than expected. Got home and had to run 3.5 miles before it got dark so I didn’t have much time to eat a snack (breakfast before golf, no lunch). So I opened the fridge and thought, Mrs Buttersworth. So I had about a TBS of syrup, drank some water and went on my merry way. Best pace I’ve had since my last race. Anyone else have experience using syrup? It tasted great and I feel a super sugar high still (I’m about one hour post digestion).

AliNouveau wrote: »
    Maple syrup for athletes is a thing. They sell individual packets for runners and cyclists. Google it.
    Mrs. Buttersworth isn't maple syrup. It is artificially flavored maple sugar water.

Thank you for posting this as a Canadian I was offended.

I was just thinking that no self respecting Canadian would ever consider using Mrs. Butterworth as maple syrup. :p

People are just messing with you OP. Seriously though, good for you! I don't usually consume maple syrup, but sometimes I put some extra honey in my tea if I need a boost. The sugar helps.😊

I am vaguely offended that, to be a self-respecting anything, you have to eat legitimate maple syrup. Could there possibly exist a Canadian who doesn't like pancakes or waffles? A southerner who doesn't have time for non-instant grits? A Kentuckian who is fine with just whiskey, not bourbon?

I think self-respecting Americans shouldn't wear the flag on their butts, but people more outwardly patriotic than I think it's a fine practice.

Anyway, Canadians, lighten up about the syrup. There are better, stronger things that can define you (like Rush).
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Anyway, Canadians, lighten up about the syrup. There are better, stronger things that can define you (like Rush).

and nanaimo bars with a side of poutine or butter tarts!?
    (used to be we could brag about Shreddies and Salt & Vinegar chips too but amazon changed that LOL)

Oh the joys of being Canuk and not loving smoked salmon or fresh lobster (downright un-canadian of me!)

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

That's the "coffee infused" brand that I've tried. Its pretty good stuff!
    @deannalfisher - This will have to be your "go to" fuel in 2019, considering your choice of IM race venue! :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

That's the "coffee infused" brand that I've tried. Its pretty good stuff!
    @deannalfisher - This will have to be your "go to" fuel in 2019, considering your choice of IM race venue! :)

lol! amazon apparntly only has the coffee one - but i've toyed with trying it - i tend to use tailwind with a mix of base salt/aminos/hydro - but i'm always on the lookout for new options
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,305 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

I was just thinking that no self respecting Canadian would ever consider using Mrs. Butterworth as maple syrup. :p

People are just messing with you OP. Seriously though, good for you! I don't usually consume maple syrup, but sometimes I put some extra honey in my tea if I need a boost. The sugar helps.😊

I am vaguely offended that, to be a self-respecting anything, you have to eat legitimate maple syrup. Could there possibly exist a Canadian who doesn't like pancakes or waffles? A southerner who doesn't have time for non-instant grits? A Kentuckian who is fine with just whiskey, not bourbon?

I think self-respecting Americans shouldn't wear the flag on their butts, but people more outwardly patriotic than I think it's a fine practice.

I think the main point is that you can eat anything you wish, but calling Mrs Butterworth "maple syrup" is an offense against any form of accuracy. Even the label makes no such ridiculous claim:

fpfcfwzzqaq9.jpg

Not any maple syrup per se in it:

wocqcss4mc12.jpeg

Yum? Hmmm.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Butterworth isn't actually maple syrup. It's maple-flavored corn syrup. However, it is straight up sugar/carbohydrates so it's quite possible it buzzed you enough to give you a faster pace during your run. You won't know for sure without repeatable results.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

I have learned at many sugar shacks maply syrup has lots of calcium. I mens you have to have a litre or more but it's kinda healthy.

Seriously though I'd assume the sugar gave you a boost of energy. And why did you HAVE to run? Was your life threatened if you didn't?

From the bottom of my heart, I apologize for offending you for calling something marketing as syrup "Maple Syrup". I will try to be much more informed on products before making any more hastily written posts on this page.

well.... you sure apologize like a Canadian.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    That buttersworth stuff is a waste of good pancakes, if you’re going to eat a flap jack do it right! Hell bring the pancakes on the run too!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    That sounds so horrific lol. No I would not drink maple syrup (or fake syrup) but sometimes I eat sour gummy worms.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Not even sugar (although there is a little molasses in it for flavor):

Mrs Butterworth's Original ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Molasses, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Polysorbate 60.

Fructose is sugar.....

OP anything with simple sugars in them will do the same. I make my own energy "gel" for longer runs that consists of 3 parts honey & one part molasses (lots of potassium) a pinch of salt and just enough water to thin it enough to take in an gel flask. Way cheaper than buying energy gels and probably better than straight syrup (electrolytes)

Fructose is a sugar (monosaccharide to be specific). Sugar is sucrose which is also a sugar (disaccharide). Food labels can only use the term "sugar" as an ingredient if it is sucrose. There is no sugar in Mrs. Butterworth.

At the risk of being pedantic the term sugar refers to monosaccharides as well disaccharides unless you're limiting your definition to that white granular stuff that we put in our coffee.

The sugar family includes sucrose, fructose, lactose to name but a few.

I'd love to see a manufacturer try to claim a product containing HFCS as being "sugar free" which would fit your definition.

I am the one being pedantic. Sugars (aka saccharides) need to be listed on the nutrition label as a group. On the ingredient label only sucrose can be labeled as "sugar" since the common usage definition of sugar is granulated sucrose. Ingredient labels and nutrition labels have different regulations.