The average person doesn't know what healthy is

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited October 2018
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I've had people ask me why I think I need to lose wieght when I'm at like 27% bf. I've heard people who would medically classify as obese say they are fairly healthy and a little overweight. I've had people tell me I'm weird for weighing out a steak, and call it obsessive to track what you put into your body, or be weirded out by things like almond milk, natural peanut butter, Himalayan pink salt, or calling my choice to 93% lean ground beef ridiculous etc etc., the list goes on.

This got me thinking - is the average American person really so unhealthy that anything remotely healthy seems foreign and weird?

I'm not weirded out by foods, but almond milk, natural peanut butter, Himalayan pink salt, etc are not on my normal shopping list. I don't see why those particular foods have any more health 'virtue' than dairy milk, regular peanut butter, kosher salt, etc.

Just as I believe demonizing foods is an unhealthy approach, giving individual foods a 'health halo' is unhealthy too. An approach that includes a variety of foods that fit one's calorie needs and budget, and does so without creating arbitrary categories for virtue and vice, is preferable to whatever is fad of the moment.

The US could stand to improve education about food and exercise, and how energy balance is key to maintaining a healthy weight. Perhaps if we could do that we'd be less susceptible to fad diets and random lists of Top Ten Foods to Never Eat Again type nonsense.

A spiteful unikitty could only dream....

Himalayan pink salt just tastes better. That's all there is to it. It doesn't make you healthy, it doesn't impart ancient wisdom, it doesn't come with a trip to the Himalayas to hike. But it tastes better, and that's enough for me.

I'm totally on board with it tasting better, especially when used finishing a dish where a little stands out. But when seasoning food about to be cooked where it won't be noticeable I'd opt for plain old kosher salt.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I've had people ask me why I think I need to lose wieght when I'm at like 27% bf. I've heard people who would medically classify as obese say they are fairly healthy and a little overweight. I've had people tell me I'm weird for weighing out a steak, and call it obsessive to track what you put into your body, or be weirded out by things like almond milk, natural peanut butter, Himalayan pink salt, or calling my choice to 93% lean ground beef ridiculous etc etc., the list goes on.

This got me thinking - is the average American person really so unhealthy that anything remotely healthy seems foreign and weird?

I'm not weirded out by foods, but almond milk, natural peanut butter, Himalayan pink salt, etc are not on my normal shopping list. I don't see why those particular foods have any more health 'virtue' than dairy milk, regular peanut butter, kosher salt, etc.

Just as I believe demonizing foods is an unhealthy approach, giving individual foods a 'health halo' is unhealthy too. An approach that includes a variety of foods that fit one's calorie needs and budget, and does so without creating arbitrary categories for virtue and vice, is preferable to whatever is fad of the moment.

The US could stand to improve education about food and exercise, and how energy balance is key to maintaining a healthy weight. Perhaps if we could do that we'd be less susceptible to fad diets and random lists of Top Ten Foods to Never Eat Again type nonsense.

Himalayan pink salt just tastes better. That's all there is to it. It doesn't make you healthy, it doesn't impart ancient wisdom, it doesn't come with a trip to the Himalayas to hike. But it tastes better, and that's enough for me.

I'm totally on board with it tasting better, especially when used finishing a dish where a little stands out. But when seasoning food about to be cooked where it won't be noticeable I'd opt for plain old kosher salt.

Samsies! I read that table salt is the only place we get iodine in our diets, so don't give it up completely.
  • I suppose there was a bit of confusion - I wasn't necessarily saying almond milk natural peanut butter or Himalayan pink salt are "healthy", just that they are foods I choose to use to hit my goals, and that the people around me look at them weird and call them "health foods". Of course there's nothing wrong with cows milk, regular pb and standard salt.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    There is a good deal of misinformation about what can be considered "healthy."

On an unrelated note, what are the health benefits of pink salt over and above regular table salt?
  • There is a good deal of misinformation about what can be considered "healthy."

On an unrelated note, what are the health benefits of pink salt over and above regular table salt?

None that I'm aware of it just tastes better IMO
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

You couldn’t pay me to drink almond milk, and I’d say I am pretty healthy.

I'm with you on the almond milk: Has calories (even unsweetened), not much protein, not much fat, a little potassium and calcium, and doesn't (to me) even taste good. It's a "but why?" food to me - others are welcome to all of it.

I prefer the nutty taste that almond milk gives my porridge but for custard or milk on its own, give me regular cows milk thanks!
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

It also looks pretty in your salt grinder. That's very important. Would be cool if it came with a trip to the Himalayas though...

My love of Himalayan pink salt is 100% aesthetic. It adds such a nice splash of color to my kitchen counter.