Calories!!!!

Options
Here I am trying to keep my net carbs to 20g per day, medium protein and high fat. The site flags up telling me I have not eaten enough as my calories are too low! It is frustrating that this site is fixated on calories when my macros seem good for my aim. There does not seem to be anywhere to enter the type of eating pattern you are using i.e. Vegetarian low carb (my sort!), Atkins, etc. That would be useful and then perhaps it would not nag me about the amount of calories I eat :-)

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,647 Member
    Options
    Your goals here are expressed (and the calories added up) as TOTAL grams of carbs, not as net carbs.

@nvmomketo might have some direction for you in terms of suitable keto goals and or good groups to join.

My personal understanding as a non keto person is that many people can remain in ketosis while consuming ~50g of TOTAL carbs--but it is not something I've looked into...

However I will note for you that other than achieving water weight changes through glycogen manipulation, actual fat loss during keto or any other diet will depend on your Caloric balance. And yes, for many people a low carb lifestyle will make it easier to stick to the appropriate caloric balance.

You may also want to consider fish if that would be appropriate for you, and definitely varieties of full fat yogurt in addition to eggs, cheese, and protein powder.
  • gillgolfgal
    gillgolfgal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I list fibre and deduct that from gross carbs to get my net. I do eat fish - that helps. I eat double cream and butter, just doesn't add to many calories though! Thanks for response.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your goals here are expressed (and the calories added up) as TOTAL grams of carbs, not as net carbs.

@nvmomketo might have some direction for you in terms of suitable keto goals and or good groups to join.

My personal understanding as a non keto person is that many people can remain in ketosis while consuming ~50g of TOTAL carbs--but it is not something I've looked into...

However I will note for you that other than achieving water weight changes through glycogen manipulation, actual fat loss during keto or any other diet will depend on your Caloric balance. And yes, for many people a low carb lifestyle will make it easier to stick to the appropriate caloric balance.

You may also want to consider fish if that would be appropriate for you, and definitely varieties of full fat yogurt in addition to eggs, cheese, and protein powder.

Yep, most keto'ers set their total carb goal somewhere under 20-50g a day. It varies. Inactive people who are petite and have insulin resistance may need to stay below 20g of carbs. More active people may be able to go much higher than 50 g if they time their carbs around exercise.

You can change your MFP food dairy settings in My Home and Goals. You can also adjust what information is shown in Settings.

Most seem to use 5-10% for carbs, 20-35% for protein (it is wise to try to go above 20% while losing), and the rest is fat. Whatever your calorie goal is will determine how much you eat in each macro. Roughly. It is best to get enough protein (often at least 70g) and then get more fat or protein if you need more calories. Nuts, avocados, olives, cheeses, and eggs add fats and protein.

The Low Carber Daily has a great list of resources in it's Launch Pad stickie. The Keto group also has a lot of helpful info.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I already eat lots and a varied amount of vegetables. I could up my eggs and cheese consumption that would add calories and as I don't eat meat I am aware I need to keep my protein levels up so I sometimes add protein powder if I feel I am under. The advice differs from site to site as to how many net carbs are necessary to remain in ketosis, I opted for 20g net carbs but what is the advice from this group?

Like nvmomketo said, I aim for 5-10% of my calories from net carbs, and I have no trouble remaining in ketosis on that amount. Subtract fiber grams from carbohydrate grams and multiply the result by four; compare that number to your total calories and adjust as necessary throughout the day.

That way you don’t have to eat in a dramatically different way on active days from the way you eat on inactive ones. If you have a hard ceiling of 20 carbs and have to fill 2000 calories, your options are much more limited than if you’re only eating 1200 calories that day. A percentage system allows you to eat more or less of the same basic stuff.

Avocado, coconut oil, coconut milk, pesto, peanut butter, eggs, macadamia/pecan/Brazil nuts, and heavy cream should all be in your regular rotation. Keto is a lot harder without meat, although seafood will help. Favor carb-y foods that include a lot of fiber, and look for any opportunity to add extra calories from fat. The last couple of nights I’ve just scooped a few spoonfuls of ricotta cheese on top of my dinner. There’s always a way. 🙂