Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I tried it this morning....loved it! I didn't even use a tablespoon of pb, so it was only 1 carb. I wonder if I could make a chocolate MIM now!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I tried it this morning....loved it! I didn't even use a tablespoon of pb, so it was only 1 carb. I wonder if I could make a chocolate MIM now!
    Those are my favorites. I just use a tablespoon of cocoa powder instead of the cinnamon. They even have the same carb count. :smile:
  • martinah4
    Options
    I have wanted to try cream cheese in the shepherds pie for awhile now...sounds great!

Question...I plan to drop by the super market today and wanted to know where one might find this flaxmeal for the MiM'S

I buy my flaxseed at the local chain grocery store. The brand is Red Mill (or something like that). I've also seen it in the baking aisle at Wal-mart.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Hello All!

I've been under 20g of net carbs for the past few days. Yesterday I only had 16.6. Is this bad? Do I HAVE to get to the 20g mark? Or is it ok to stay under?

Also, I'm using fatsecret.com to track my food (you can customize it for Atkins) and I am eating a lot of fat. I average about 60% a day of fat, with carbs being about 15% and protein as 25%. Is this ok? The high percentage of fat scares me. I'm not scared of fat, just scared of dangerous amounts of fat.

I've been under before, and that's ok, so long as you're eating most of those as veggies. It took me a while to believe that fat is really good for you, not bad like the conventional wisdom says. Every time I get a little nervous, I go watch the movie Fathead, and it reminds me it's ok to eat fat!
  • Suzieqt81
    Suzieqt81 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yep I found the needed flaxmeal and at Walmart...figures...going to make one now only...now I dont know whether to do a cocoa MiM or cinnamon...oh my the choices I must make...
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Hello All!

I've been under 20g of net carbs for the past few days. Yesterday I only had 16.6. Is this bad? Do I HAVE to get to the 20g mark? Or is it ok to stay under?

Also, I'm using fatsecret.com to track my food (you can customize it for Atkins) and I am eating a lot of fat. I average about 60% a day of fat, with carbs being about 15% and protein as 25%. Is this ok? The high percentage of fat scares me. I'm not scared of fat, just scared of dangerous amounts of fat.

There is no minimum daily requirement for carbs. If you are eating 20 grams of carbs per day, which is 80 calories, and carbs are 15% of your total calories, that would mean you're only eating a total of 533 calories per day. Are you sure you are eating 15% of your calories as carbs?

IMO, there is nothing wrong with a high percentage of fat as long as you avoid trans fat and try to get as much 'good' fat as possible. I try to eat 70% of calories as fat if I can but that is hard to do so I'm generally where you are at around 60 to 65%.
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just started 3 weeks ago and have lost 10 lbs so far. I tried the 1200 calorie thing and it just didn't work for me. With atkins it's so gratifying to see results on the scale so soon. I recently left a message for someone who said she was starving on her hcg diet and was miserable. I mentioned the atkins diet and how you actually get to eat. It's a shame that I didn't feel comfortable enough to just respond to her post. I didn't want to hear all of the negative comments about how atkins is bad for us. Anyhow, good luck to everyone!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I hear ya JT... "low carb" isn't very popular on MFP.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new to MFP, but not to Atkins. I followed the Atkins program for several years back when I started in 2000. I lost 145 pounds, got diagnosed with Celiac diease, got mad at the diagnosis and started eating whatever I felt like that was gluten-free.

I gained back 45 of the 145 I lost but I have kept 100 off for 11 years now. I was recently diagnosed as having a risk for diabetes, so my PCP sent me to a dietician who put me on a low carb diet. I'm back doing Atkins again. Since July 30th I'm down 17 pounds. I cheated badly the past 2 weeks while I was on vacation and gained 2 but lost it quickly when I started again.

I do eat some fruit a day and I try to keep my gross carbs to less than 50. I haven't been counting net since this site only counts gross.

I eat scrambled eggs with bell peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms and a small amount of tomato with cheese every morning. I add either bacon, sausage or ham as a side. Lunch is normally some kind of grilled protein with a salad or a salad with deli meat. Dinner is a grilled protein and veggies of some kind. I have fruit with breakfast and sometimes with lunch. I snack on cheese sticks, deli meat, and I'm trying to learn to like hard boiled eggs. I don't snack much though.

My every night dessert is one of the little plastic cups of sugar-free Jell-O with spray whipped cream. Sometimes I eat two if I'm craving sweets.
  • chelscc
    chelscc Posts: 29
    Options
    JT I did the HCG for 45 days and not worth it! I lost 30 lbs but gained it back within the month. I have always liked atkins and I shouldn't strayed.

Question- I've been doing a lot of cardio and today I've been crazy hungry. I added the atkins bar in today and upped my calories from 1200 to 1500. Does this pass or is it always going to be like that when I burn a lot of calories? I've never had this problem before
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I eat scrambled eggs with bell peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms and a small amount of tomato with cheese every morning. I add either bacon, sausage or ham as a side.

Ugh... sounds horrible! Don't cha just hate diet food!?
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I know - isn't it awful (LOL). I mean eating steak for dinner is SUCH a hardship.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I do eat some fruit a day and I try to keep my gross carbs to less than 50. I haven't been counting net since this site only counts gross.

My every night dessert is one of the little plastic cups of sugar-free Jell-O with spray whipped cream. Sometimes I eat two if I'm craving sweets.
    Net is easy. If you eat something with sugar alcohols, just make sure to use (or make) an entry which has the sugar alcohols already subtracted from the total carbs but leave the fiber carbs in. Then, when looking at your carb count for the day, subtract your fiber grams from your carb grams and voila! you have net carbs.

As an example, say your sugar free Jello had 3 total carbs, 1 from fiber, 1 from sugar alcohol. The entry for that jello would have 2 total carbs and 1 fiber carb. When you looked at your diary entry, you'd be counting one net carb.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    JT I did the HCG for 45 days and not worth it! I lost 30 lbs but gained it back within the month. I have always liked atkins and I shouldn't strayed.

Question- I've been doing a lot of cardio and today I've been crazy hungry. I added the atkins bar in today and upped my calories from 1200 to 1500. Does this pass or is it always going to be like that when I burn a lot of calories? I've never had this problem before
    Eat back your exercise calories. You really shouldn't be trying to eat only 1200 calories while eating low carb and you should always be trying to net at least 1200 (calories eaten - calories burned = net calories).
  • mrsmclarke
    Options
    I have done Atkins in the past but it wasn't explained the same as it is now. I would consider it again but on my food budget and my non veggie eating husband it would be difficult. My sister-in-law has been doing Atkins for 100 days and has lost 74 pounds.. My fear, with anything is gaining it all back.
  • chelscc
    Options
    I have done Atkins in the past but it wasn't explained the same as it is now. I would consider it again but on my food budget and my non veggie eating husband it would be difficult. My sister-in-law has been doing Atkins for 100 days and has lost 74 pounds.. My fear, with anything is gaining it all back.

Me and my fiance spend $400 a month both doing it for a family of 4. I don't know what yall budget is but we eat steak, fish, everything on that much. Sam's club!
  • chelscc
    Options

Me and my fiance spend $400 a month both doing it for a family of 4. I don't know what yall budget is but we eat steak, fish, everything on that much. Sam's club!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    My husband eats veggies, thankfully, but my problem is that he usually expects some kind of starch with dinner. My compromise is to make both, with extra veggies. I eat a very small portion of the starch (or I get asked if there's something wrong with it!) and load up on the veggies. You could do something similar and tell your husband that the veggies are for you, he doesn't have to eat them.

The only reason people gain back the weight after losing it is that they go back to eating the way they used to when they have reached their goal or quit. If you continue to watch either calories or carbs, you'll keep it off. Atkins is set up for you to continue to add in carbs while you're losing weight then to eat relatively low carb for the rest of your life. If you do this, you won't gain back the weight.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My quick vent for the day:

Really? WHY do people have to hate on low carb eating lifestyles? Does it really affect you? NO. Do you even know what you are talking about? PROBABLY NOT. So please just STFU, because all of my eye rolling at your ignorance is starting to hurt my forehead.

kthnxbai.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    My quick vent for the day:

Really? WHY do people have to hate on low carb eating lifestyles? Does it really affect you? NO. Do you even know what you are talking about? PROBABLY NOT. So please just STFU, because all of my eye rolling at your ignorance is starting to hurt my forehead.

kthnxbai.
    I was cheering for you as I read your post. I have to tell you and everyone one else on this thread how much I love you all. This is definitely my favorite thread here.