What do you do if you’re spouse likes junk food?

Options
124»

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me again how blessed I am. My husband never does any shopping, he is a sweet eater though. He likes ice cream or a sweet of some kind every single night. I buy kinds I won't eat 90% of the time, but I would never think of denying him what he likes. My downfall is always Coke and potato chips, I don't buy them unless it's a special occasion and then I only buy enough to do for the day. I can't imagine living with all of the restrictions some people place on themselves and others for their losses.

Qft. It certainly seems that some make this a whole lot harder than it needs to be.

My husband also used to love coca cola and chips. He would honestly drink 5 cans per day! One day he made a bet that he wouldn't drink it for a week. He switched to diet. He hated the taste at first but kept on with it. After the week was up, he found out that he actually adjusted to the taste and liked it. He hasn't had regular soda since and stayed with diet soda. Not that there's anything wrong with having a soda and chips. I also enjoy regular soda and chips and usually get it for the weekend.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one at my house too. We try to compromise. I buy my husband ice-cream flavors I don't find as tempting and only buy 1 half gallon so if I were to eat any, it wouldn't last him the week. I can't have chips in the house. I buy vanilla dipped Madeline cookies for him which don't tempt me in the least (vanilla- yuck!) but we can't keep Oreos or chocolate chip around for my sake. Also my husband often stops at Starbucks and doesn't mention it or won't ask me if I want anything but will just say he'll be right back. We don't get to control others choices, but when they're willing to compromise for our sake life is a lot nicer. It's not about controlling what they eat. It's about finding a place where everyone gets taken care of on their own terms.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My husbands "treat" is jalopenos and salsa.. not that tempting for a whimp like me! However, that being said I am the one that buys and brings all the sweets into the house. I am constantly baking cookies, cobblers, cakes, etc. and right now we have like 4 bags full of candy in the pantry, halloween cookies, ice cream you name it. None of this tempts my spouse, he will eat a serving if he feels like it and then puts it up. I also only eat a serving and then it goes up. I don't really understand why someone would throw out good food.... such a waste. Just practice a little self control... It makes treats so much more special.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My husband can control himself around all kind of foods. I had more trouble. I am developing my self-control though! I stash his treats in a bin at the top of the pantry, and he knows that he can go in there whenever he has a sweet tooth. The bin kinda acts as a mental barrier for me lol. I try to focus on eating three good meals per day and then allow myself a small dessert after dinner, usually 100-200cals.

My go-to dessert lately: two graham crackers with some frozen cool whip in the middle, like a small ice cream sandwich, half a cup of vanilla ice cream with some sprinkles, a square or two of chocolate with a tiny bit of peanut butter on top and a few strawberries on the side.

That hits the spots and gives me something to look forward to all day. I also like that I am practicing good habits to maintain my weight once I reach my goal weight!

My biggest thing was that I used to binge on crap all day to make myself feel better (which didn't work). Now I eat good meals throughout the day to ACTUALLY feel better, and have a treat after dinner as a reward and to enjoy myself a little. No more comfort eating for me!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUFFER AND BE DEPRIVED TO LOSE WEIGHT.
    In my case that was true until I got to the last little bit. Then it was suffering and deprivation lol. Anyhow, good luck to the OP. Having temptation all around, particularly after one has shared how difficult it is and the partner says (rightly, maybe, but uncompassionately) "not my problem" is hard.

• mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I was first working on kicking the sugar habit, I bought the junk food for my boyfriend. That allowed me to buy things that I didn't like but he would eat.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,779 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi folks,

A friendly reminder to please stay on topic and not turn topics like this into a debate about sugar addiction. OP never said she was addicted, just that it was hard to resist temptation when her spouse brings home junk food. ;)

If you want to debate sugar addiction, the debate section is here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/nutrition-debate

We have rolled out new community guidelines, so please take a moment to review them here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your cooperation.

With respect,
    Sugar
    MFP Moderator
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    This is an easy issue for me since I'm used to doing without due to having celiac disease. The family gets treats that have gluten, and I simply CAN'T have them.

There are some items the kids like, such as M&M's which I dip into every now and then, but overall, they're not really crazy about candy so they're not around that much.