Less Alcohol - October 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Here’s a long post from me - since I know there are some new participants and maybe trying to figure out how to navigate a world of moderation rather than excess and I haven’t posted in a while.

My approach is “mindful moderation”. Prior to starting in this group in January I was a daily drinker, and I didn’t think an excessive drinker at the time, but when I reflected I realized I was definitely drinking more than I should. And it was just too easy for 1 to turn into 2 to turn into 3 glasses of wine, whether it was a weeknight or weekend. The point when I realized I needed to go from being a lurker on this thread to an active participant on a journey to less alcohol was a night in mid-Jan when I was at a party with some parents from school with my husband and I just kept pouring drinks for myself - probably consumed more than a bottle on my own, and ended up the next morning with a headache, a fuzzy memory, and those all too familiar feelings of regret - what did I do, did I embarrass myself, why did I let myself go too far, no one else seems to have these problems. So I decided to take action.

At first I just said “I’m going to drink less, try not to drink so often” but I wasn’t very specific. And I was somewhat successful with the help of the supportive folks in this group back in January. It was a struggle on some days and I had internal debates between my drinking brain and my sober brain. I was tracking my drinking days, my AF days and my drinks (still am) on a tally sheet next to my bed. I wasn’t drinking every day but it definitely felt like a struggle for a lot of them.

Then something clicked for me, I think around March, and I started taking the same approach as I did with tracking my food when I first joined MFP about 5 years ago. I don’t have to cut out all the things I enjoy, I just can’t have as much as I want or as often as I want - I need to be mindful, work it in, and listen to my body cues as well as social cues. I started paying more attention to how others behaved in social drinking situations, realizing that I had always been the one pouring another glass, opening another bottle - that my friends were content to sit around a table talking, with one or two drinks for the whole evening, and that an open bottle of wine can be re-corked and not consumed. I started noticing that I could drink just one glass with my meal and look forward to tea before bed instead of more wine. That on nights when there wasn’t a social event or a special family meal that I was perfectly content with water for dinner, tea before bed and using the calories on dessert, or saving them up for weekend fun like donuts for breakfast and a big Sunday dinner too. I’ve had more tea and more desserts in the last 10 months than I’ve had in years!

Once the alcohol became just another thing that I worked into my regular approach to health, weight management and moderation, it became pretty simple. I’m definitely still drinking more than those who are really committed to going AF but I feel in control of the choices and the consumption and am mindfully moderating instead of mindlessly drinking.

The reason I decided to post today after a hiatus is that I was over at the same house with some of the same friends last night, after a school event (trunk or treat). In years past I would have put some baileys in my coffee cup for the event, and then continued with wine once we got home.

Last night - we did have a Mom gathering planned and joked about needing our flasks for the event and then hurrying up to get the kids situated with a movie so we could “wine and whine” with tasty food planned as well. So in preparation I thought - well, I do know I want to have some wine with the moms later, so it’s silly to pretend I need a drink to get through a school function - plus not the most responsible thing! I didn’t bring my baileys, and I made yummy appetizers and brought one nice bottle of wine to share after we got together. Over the course of the evening we consumed a total of 4 bottles of wine amongst 8 women. I was the first one to get a water glass and practiced one of my tricks to drink a full glass of water in between every wine refill. I realized I didn’t have to pour a full glass, it’s ok to just pour a half glass and then decide if you want more (sometimes I did, and then I didn’t). It was more about the socializing and we had some great empowering discussions about the challenges of being career focused and Mom focused in a way too busy life - and the answer wasn’t “drink more wine to get by” even though that’s what I had previously believed was necessary. We laughed and ate great food, and drank a little wine, no one drank a lot. I stayed after to help clean up, having stopped drinking more than an hour earlier, put a cork in an open bottle and left it for the hostess to enjoy later.

I texted my husband to say “on my way” before I left the friends house and he said “you sure you’re ok to drive do you want an Uber” and I could say with complete confidence that I was totally good. Came home, had a tea, logged my food and drinks, and though it was a late night I feel really good this morning AND I remember all the great conversations, the laughter, the empowering strong women, the yummy food, and the lovely 2.5 glasses of wine I had.

It seemed fitting to share the difference between one of the nights that started my experience here, and the same environment and outcome 10 months later. Some may feel like this mindful moderation thing is more work than just abstaining, but for me it works well. I no longer feel like I’m trying that hard, I don’t have the internal debates, don’t look ahead to when my next drink will be, don’t feel guilty if I decide that on a Tuesday night I do want one glass of wine even though it wasn’t my plan, I just adapt the plan.

Sorry for the long post... I’ve been reading along in this thread and the sober squad and I’m so glad that so many are doing well, no matter your approach toward achieving your goals.

Heading out for a day filled with kid activities and planning for a pumpkin beer and some chili later tonight now that fall weather is here. Happy Saturday all!

@WinoGelato awesome mindful moderation!! 🎉🍁🙌🏻
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've lately been having a dash of bitters in my glass of juice and mineral water in the evening because I want to use up the bottle (it's taking ages!).

Let's not debate whether that makes me a drinker or a non-drinker. :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    Good morning group.
    Welcome to our new posters. Always wonderful to have more followers.

@WinoGelato thank you for saying what so many of us have experienced along with you during this year. You bring such great insight with your posts. I am so happy your doing so well.

@orphia you will never get a debate from us. 🤗 I had a cake recipe that always called for bitters, not real sure how it changed the flavor. And after 30 years I still have that bottle to. Lol

@Beka3695 we all go through a craving of some sort now and then. We are human. Hope you handled it well.

Saturday night I had an unplanned glass of prosecco while out. It was no big deal. But I would have rather been offered it earlier in the evening instead of an hour before sleep. Still I did sleep well thank goodness.

October is half way over for those who are counting. Have a successful day and week.

• KKHKISHZKH
    KKHKISHZKH Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the drinking in moderation is going well this month. I'm having couple of drinks on fridays and saturdays and nothing midweek. I'm finding I'm getting a similar buzz now from a couple of glasses to what I used to get from an entire bottle! I've also noticed though that I appear to have developed a sweet tooth since I stopped drinking so much. Hmm :/
  • KKHKISHZKH
    KKHKISHZKH Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the drinking in moderation is going well this month. I'm having couple of drinks on fridays and saturdays and nothing midweek. I'm finding I'm getting a similar buzz now from a couple of glasses to what I used to get from an entire bottle! I've also noticed though that I appear to have developed a sweet tooth since I stopped drinking so much. Hmm :/
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    I did well Saturday
    Sunday was another story... I binged!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Major fail Wednesday night - Sadly I'd already given up on the idea by the time I got to the pub and ended up having way too much. Repercussions lasted into yesterday with feeling terrible and not able to stomach a proper meal (nor having the energy to prepare one) and therefore snacking all day!

Anyway, reset today. Decided going to give moderation rather than AF a proper go - quality over quantity. Going to try to limit my drinking to two nights a week, and then try to limit my drinking on those nights too. My problem is it's I don't have an off switch once I get past drink #3. I will definitely drink more water whilst I'm out so as not to feel so bad the following day! Next Saturday may be an exception as know that'll be a big drinking night (annual Halloween pub crawl!).

Hope you all have a good day and weekend, x
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    Checking in as well. Been an AF week, the only cave I had was spontaneous snaking one night and I blame it on watching late night football. Lol.

I wanted to say to @dkabambe there is a saying- You take the first drink, that drink takes a drink and then the next drink takes you. I hope you are feeling better. Hangovers absolutely suck. I know, I have had my unfortunate share in the past.

We are all pretty close to the end of this month. Keep strong.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Well....it's hard to track wine when it's coming out of a box, lol. Unfortunately, the best measuring device is how crappy I feel--I think about 20 ounces worth. I feel like I need to throw myself into something at night so I don't throw wine into me. I just haven't found that something yet. Has anyone taken up a new hobby at night to partially replace the hobby of drinking?
  • Allie1618
    Allie1618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just saw this post and it’s so helpful to read through all your comments. I need to cut back and moderate better. I’m a work in progress :)