Workouts ruined by children

Options

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    try during naptime
    or early morning before they wake up or after they go to bed

yeah like this^ this was and still is about the only way it works for me -- or when they are at school!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I workout during my sons nap time, or when he is eating. Also putting him in his high chair for craft time has helped me. I am not too certain about the 6 year old though. Maybe start a star chart and if he plays alone while you work out for the week he'll get a surprise. He's 6 so a quarter or so will do lol. Good luck!
  • Ann623
    Ann623 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think you should allow them to watch TV just while you workout (make it educational) or try during nap time....Good luck, I have a 1 yr old and a 6 yr old......So I completely understand
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have a rule that if they fight and I wasn't in the room, everybody gets a time-out. If they bug me for any non-emergency thing while I'm working out, they get a time-out. If they come out of time-out before they're allowed and I have to stop working out again, I take away a privilege for the morning.

I have a kind of no-tolerance policy for that kind of thing though. My kids get plenty of attention through the day, they can give me half an hour to work out. I make sure they have full drink cups and a ready snack, and then do my thing. Most of the time they do that stuff it's because they just can't stand that I'm giving attention to something other than them, and they're old enough to get over it for 30 minutes.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My grandkids live with me. They've always worked out with me. My grandson uses 3lb dumbells to do shoulder presses. And I bench press him. He weighs 40 pounds and likes it when I lay on my back and put one hand on his butt and one behind his neck. He holds his body straight and I press him 20 reps per set. That's his favorite. Both kids (grandaughter almost three, grandson 4) like to do whatever body weight exercises I do. They can do squats, planks, that kind of thing. I just let them work with me. It is teaching them to exercise and when they get bored with it, they find something to do.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    My 3 y.o. is exactly the same way. I must get up before he does in order to workout. Even so, sometimes he'll wake up early, come in crying and say, "Mommy, I want to cuddle" or "Mommy, hold me." I'm torn because I want to finish the workout, but it's such a heartrending plea. Usually, I get a little angry because Daddy is laying in bed and could intervene.

Lol, sounds like my husband!
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well given I do have a gym membership with childcare 8-8 I donthave this problem as much except I do my ab routine at home, some mornings we leave 4 am so I can get my workout in, I really cant ever after work, just so tired, but I put my son in the daycare,with yours you could put a child wokrout video on for them to do so they feel like mom
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This is why I wake up at 5am. Even 6 will result in a child interrupting.
  • kynichol21
    Options
    I always try to get my workout in during nap time.
  • chelscc
    chelscc Posts: 29
    Options
    The only problem I have is my girls, 3 & 4, get in my way. I'm scared I'm going to hurt them but they love trying to do it with me!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a dad, I get up while everyone is asleep and get my workout in before everyone wakes up. I've found it's the only way to ensure I get my workouts in. Plus if you go to the gym that early, chances are the waits for the gym equipment is pretty much non-existent.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Can you afford a Mother's Day Out Program? When mine were little they went to one, it was four hours a day, four days a week. It was helpful to have that block of time to get things done. Plus they got to socialize, play and learn things.

If not, I'd suggest doing it when they sleep. :) Or some movie time won't kill them. I agree with others that's it great to get your kids active but being realistic, anything you're doing with a couple of little ones in tow is probably not the kind of serious work out you're after.
  • l_heras
    l_heras Posts: 65
    Options
    i have a 2 1/2 year old... he has his own 3 lb weight and he "exercises like mommy" while i do my 30 day shred... i tell him to watch the screen and make sure mommy looks just like the ladies... he loves the punching part and jumps up and down while i do the "jump rope part"... he walks in and out of the room bc he gets bored with it but because he doesn't feel like i'm saying "NO you can't be in here" hes almost LESS interested in what i'm doing. i dont know how well that will work with older ones and multiples, but good luck!

I have a 3 year old and I do the same. We both get our mats ready (although she just brings her rug from her room) and she does the workouts with me. She gets bored throughout the 20 min, so she'll come in/out of the room. I also give her "jobs" to do, so she feels included in the workout. She'll help me put the DVD in, we'll go get our water together and when we're done she helps me put everything away. She's far back enough from me when I'm doing it that I'm not scared of bumping in to her and hurting her. HTH :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    As soon as either of them run in with the complaint, send them both to timeout. It'll take a few days to get the routine, but soon they should both get that "go to timeout NOW" means do it now (or there will be unpleasant consequences). I set up timeout spots that aren't in the kids rooms, and each has their own set spot, so they know exactly where to go.

It shouldn't take long for them to figure out that bugging you during a workout isn't a good idea. But also keep your workout to about 30 minutes. At this age, it's about as long as you can expect them to govern themselves. You can go back later for another session, if you need.

That's a bit shan, punishing them just for bothering you during a work out :S

Thanks for saying that. I totally agree, and thought it quite hilarious that someone who is pregant and doesn't have kids yet (I am guessing) is throwing out advice. Just wait... Hahhahahahahahaha.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    sorry but this is the best advice i can think of, IGNORE THEM! They are 3 and 6 and will not kill each other while you work out. just keep them in the same area as you and you should be fine. But maybe even try to engage them in exercise as well. my 2yr old niece LOVES to exercise with me. she even asks me can we do exercise. you'll always have distractions no matter the goal in life. :)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Dr. Horrible Sing-a-long Blog. Kiddos cannot resist the NPH.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to go to the gym or go for a long walk early in the morning. They (ages 6, 3, and 1) are still asleep, as is my hubby. I'm back from the gym by 7:15 am, work out is done for the day . I've tried working out at home but, for me, it just doesn't work. I could do it once they're asleep at night, but I'd rather do morning.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As soon as either of them run in with the complaint, send them both to timeout. It'll take a few days to get the routine, but soon they should both get that "go to timeout NOW" means do it now (or there will be unpleasant consequences). I set up timeout spots that aren't in the kids rooms, and each has their own set spot, so they know exactly where to go.

It shouldn't take long for them to figure out that bugging you during a workout isn't a good idea. But also keep your workout to about 30 minutes. At this age, it's about as long as you can expect them to govern themselves. You can go back later for another session, if you need.

Thanks for saying that. I totally agree, and thought it quite hilarious that someone who is pregant and doesn't have kids yet (I am guessing) is throwing out advice. Just wait... Hahhahahahahahaha.

She has 2 kids, and is a good mom. If you don't like the advice, don't take it.
  • Dkenny74
    Dkenny74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What ever they are fighting over gets put away for a dew days.
    It wont take them too long to learn how to work it out.
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options

She has 2 kids, and is a good mom. If you don't like the advice, don't take it.

I am a parent to seven kids, if any of them bother me for any reason its grounds to be punished, what I say it what I mean and I mean for them to do what I say, if the kids are told to behave and play for 30 minutes that shouldnt be that difficult for them to do, disobeying their mothers orders is ground for timeout, again ironic from someone that hasnt dealt with disobediant children and a timeout is not a cruel punishment, lord knows its not what my punishments were as a kid.