Keto or Mediterranean

Options

Replies

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    SONKISSED1, While both are sort of fad-ish, I'd agree with your Doctor and suggest Mediterranean over Keto. I am still not convinced Keto is safe based on the way it works. Mediterranean at least is based on a normal regional diet. Keto is basically like Atkins, IMHO. Others may argue otherwise. Just my opinion.
  • bigbandjohn
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    SONKISSED1 wrote: »
    Help! I need to make a wise and healthy decision between the two. I spoke with my doctor who did not say anything bad about Keto, but just that she leaned towards Mediterranean. I have to lose weight in order to keep Type 2 Diabetes under control. Thanks.

Neither. Calorie deficit will yield weight loss. Its that simple.

Correct. I do think Mediterranean is a dietary style, but if it isn't coupled with calorie/portion control, it will fail, i.e. eating large portions of tortalini alfredo everyday (a Mediterranean dish technically) isn't going to help at all.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not a fan of diets, I did follow "The Sonoma Diet" for a month and lost 38 lbs (with no exercising). I actually ate quadruple the fat that I normally ate, but it was healthier fats (EVOO, avocado). It's basically a Mediterranean diet, although I consider it more of a lifestyle change (lifelong vs temporary fix).

No. You lost weight because of calorie deficit NOT because of this "sonoma diet" or "drinking healthy oils".

38lbs in a month?? did i read that right
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    SONKISSED1 wrote: »
    Help! I need to make a wise and healthy decision between the two. I spoke with my doctor who did not say anything bad about Keto, but just that she leaned towards Mediterranean. I have to lose weight in order to keep Type 2 Diabetes under control. Thanks.

How do you prefer eating? Do not make decisions that are not sustainable wrong run. Mediterranean and Keto are suitable for people with very different taste in food, so start from there.
  • bigbandjohn
    Options
    Well said imbr0gli0!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Keto has been around since 1920s and is similar to what you find with inuti and maasai cultures. Mediterranean is very plant and seafood heavy. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive as it would be very easy to eat mediterranean and still stay at a level of carbs low enough to induce ketosis.

Both diets have been used successfully to treat T2D, so it really comes down to what you like the most and what you find the easiest to follow. If you like eating a lot of meats and dairy then you will probably like keto better. If you tend toward a more vegetarian or pescatarian eating style, then medierranean will likely be an easier transition.

I use keto to treat my migraines, and it's very easy for me...keep carbs low, plenty of protein and low-carb veggies, portion control on anything high carb like rice or potatoes or sweets. I've been on it for just over a year now and it has been like magic for keeping migraines away.
  • IM_in_training
    IM_in_training Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not a fan of diets, I did follow "The Sonoma Diet" for a month and lost 38 lbs (with no exercising). I actually ate quadruple the fat that I normally ate, but it was healthier fats (EVOO, avocado). It's basically a Mediterranean diet, although I consider it more of a lifestyle change (lifelong vs temporary fix).

No. You lost weight because of calorie deficit NOT because of this "sonoma diet" or "drinking healthy oils".

38lbs in a month?? did i read that right

Yep, 38 lbs in a month.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For me, the choice would be Mediterranean. This isn't because it is a better diet but because I like the food choices that make up a Mediterranean diet. Either one will work for you to lose weight as long as you are eating less calories than you burn. Don't suddenly put yourself on a diet that requires too much thinking or restricting. Choose something you can do consistently forever. Successful weight loss (and keeping it off) happens when you eat foods you like, in proper proportions. Also, start walking...move. Exercise is almost as important as regulating your weight for beating prediabetes.