Saggy Skin!!

Options
I have successfully changed what I eat. I used to run a deli some years ago. We served burgers, fries, deli meats and many desserts. I would run around all day. I never noticed the weight creep on until we sold the store. I'm guessing as soon as I became sedentary it was more noticeable. At my heaviest weight I topped out at 165lbs. I am 5ft 3 inches. I had quite a fat/floppy stomach, an expansive butt and my legs and arms were really big. So to try and make changes, I started eating a lot more veggies, fruits, lean meats. I have a Bowflex and a treadmill so I do an hour on the treadmill and about 30 minutes on the Bowflex about 5 days a week. Calories range between 1600-1800 a day. My current weight is 118lbs. Now I'm finding my arms and legs have skin sagging. When I just stand in front of a mirror the skin just hangs down. It's really noticeable so much so my husband says I look ill. I have increased my calories over the last few weeks, but I'm still losing weight. I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease back in 2004 and was hospitalized last month (for appendectomy ) I do have to take medication everyday. The side effects mention anemia, anorexia, headaches and muscle weakness. I guess I just want advice. Has anybody else gone through this? Honestly I thought I was doing the right thing by losing unwanted pounds. Now I'm regretting the steps I've taken. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Replies

• corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have successfully changed what I eat. I used to run a deli some years ago. We served burgers, fries, deli meats and many desserts. I would run around all day. I never noticed the weight creep on until we sold the store. I'm guessing as soon as I became sedentary it was more noticeable. At my heaviest weight I topped out at 165lbs. I am 5ft 3 inches. I had quite a fat/floppy stomach, an expansive butt and my legs and arms were really big. So to try and make changes, I started eating a lot more veggies, fruits, lean meats. I have a Bowflex and a treadmill so I do an hour on the treadmill and about 30 minutes on the Bowflex about 5 days a week. Calories range between 1600-1800 a day. My current weight is 118lbs. Now I'm finding my arms and legs have skin sagging. When I just stand in front of a mirror the skin just hangs down. It's really noticeable so much so my husband says I look ill. I have increased my calories over the last few weeks, but I'm still losing weight. I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease back in 2004 and was hospitalized last month (for appendectomy ) I do have to take medication everyday. The side effects mention anemia, anorexia, headaches and muscle weakness. I guess I just want advice. Has anybody else gone through this? Honestly I thought I was doing the right thing by losing unwanted pounds. Now I'm regretting the steps I've taken. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Congrats on the weight loss! Unfortunately excess skin is what that is. When some (most) lose a lot of weight they will have skin that hangs. Gaining weight stretches your skin out, and it's extremely hard if not impossible to shrink excess skin naturally.

Plastic Surgery is the only way I know of. Excess skin is a big think that I'm dreading when I lose more. But a little excess skin is healthier than excess fat. So while cosmetically I know it isn't good but you've done the best part which is adapting a new healthy lifestyle.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to lose the weight? Skin recovers more slowly. It may take a year or two to catch up. It may never catch up. There are surgical options, but I'd give it at least a year before going that route. Some have lost a lot more and the loose skin is just part of it. Personally I'd rather be healthy with loose skin than continue being unhealthy.

As for the comment about you looking sick, is that about the loose skin? Or something else? If you've lost quickly, you may look unwell due to nutritional deficiencies (could also be related to Crohn's). As you focus on maintenance, focus on getting a variety of nutrient dense foods and enough calories. That should help. It may also be worth a trip to the doctor for a general health screening.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It took quite a while to lose the weight. At first I didn't lose any for about 6 months. I was not weighing food, and not exercising so as soon as I started being accountable, then the weight came off. I would say a year and a half to lose the weight.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Options
    I go to my doctors every 3 months. For repeat prescriptions and have blood work done every 6 months. My husband is right, I don't look healthy. I enjoy the foods I eat a lot more now, then when I was eating junk food. I don't know maybe I just gotta live with being this way. I'm not a spring chicken anymore
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Did you do any progressive resistance exercise (lifting weights, calisthenics, TRX, etc.) as you lost weight? If not, you will have lost a good amount of muscle and that can cause you to look frail and ill. My suggestion would be to follow a good full body lifting program 2-3 times per week in order to get stronger and build muscle.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Options
    My muscles are not existent. I look anorexic to be honest, which was not a look I was anticipating. I do try weights but have extreme difficulty as I am so weak
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My muscles are not existent. I look anorexic to be honest, which was not a look I was anticipating. I do try weights but have extreme difficulty as I am so weak

That sounds like it could be the issue then. It takes some time, but will build. Just be aware that the scale tends to bounce around a bit more.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Options
    Yes not too worried about putting on a few pounds. I just don't want to look like I'm ill. It gets a bit upsetting when my husband tells me I don't look well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Keep it up and it will get easier :) It's common to be weak when you start out. The only people who aren't are people who have built/maintained strength through their normal everyday life. Modern life doesn't require many of us to do that. If you are having extreme difficulty working with a weight, reduce the weight a bit. Lifting is supposed to be challenging but not nigh on impossible.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,980 Member
    Options

Might want to hire a personal trainer for a few sessions or see if your doctor will give you a referral for physical therapy.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    As said above, it can take time for the skin to tighten up. How much is dependant on genetics, how much weight you lost, and how long you were overweight.

I only lost 30lbs but for the first few months of maintenance my face looked haggard and my body looked as though it was wearing skin one size too big.
    Everything tightened up (bit of wobble in the belly still) and my face adjusted to its new slimmer shape without looking haggard.

If you take a read of the list posted below there are a number of beginner strength training routines that you can choose from.

If they all look a bit daunting try the Nerdfitness body weight routine (listed) or look up the HasFit beginner routine on YouTube (not listed).

Don't expect to be able to do them as written from the get go; make it your goal to be able to do them as written. All the exercises can be simplified, and done in your own time. If you have problems with high impact, skip things like jumping jacks and march in place doing the arm movements.

If you want to start with doing a gym class so you have some guidance, and lifting isn't where you want to be yet, look at Pilates, core fitness, yoga, or aqua fit. They will help condition your muscles and prep you for more challenging things.

I started with the classes, went to the bodyweight and HasFit programmes, then started lifting much heavier things. No way I, starting at 54yo, could have done the latter without prepping with the former first. It took a good couple of years to get to a barbell, but I am happy with my progress. You may well progress much faster.

Cheers, h.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Options
    I have lost nearly 50lbs over a year and a half. How long being overweight?? Well probably after I had my daughter which was 37 years ago. I wasn't huge just a bit "floppy". I was a young mother. I went on the usual fad diets after childbirth which never lasted for more then a couple of weeks. When I was in the restaurant business I would eat on the run. Working days were 14-16 hours long, and were 6 day weeks. I think when we sold our stores I got lazy. I loved the idea of being at home semi retired. That's when realization set in. I was an ever increasing balloon!!! I need to do something as it isn't a nice feeling having my husband worry about me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing weight and don't want to, keep gradually increasing calories.

Also, I think you should talk with your doctor about these concerns, if you haven't: It might be good to check in on whether you're experiencing drug side effects, whether you might be able to get a referral to a registered dietitian to make sure you're getting the appropriate nutrition for your health condition, and that sort of thing. If you're looking and feeling unwell, that's something to discuss with your doctor.

Hugs!