low carb diet questions

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    tanyanie11 wrote: »
    how many carbs do you eat a day? and how much protein and fat? are you losing weight? has it been hard? do you exercise? how much do you weigh and how long have you been on a diet? how much have you lost already? how many calories do you usually burn per day?

i'm curious haha

Number of carbs: on average about 155 g (35% of my total)
    Protein: 155 g (35% of my total)
    Fat: 60 g (30% of my total

I am losing about 1.75 lb per week as an average since August

No, it has been easy

Yes, I exercise. I swim laps and take a water aerobics class 3 x a week

I average a burn between 2600-2700 calories per day. Obviously workout days I burn more, non workout days I burn less.

I am also T2Dm and maintain an A1c of between 5.0 and 5.5.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    how many carbs do you eat a day?
    • a lot
    and how much protein and fat?
    • a lot
    are you losing weight?
    • maintaining
    has it been hard?
    • no really the eating part, but getting into the habit of daily exercise was pretty hard
    do you exercise?
    • 7 days a week
    how much do you weigh?
    how long have you been on a diet?
    • never really went on a diet per say, but i did monitor my intake to learn how to eat better
    how much have you lost already?
    • 50 to 60 lbs.
    how many calories do you usually burn per day?
    • 500 to 1000 active calories (exercise), plus my regular calories about 2000. So about 2500 to 3500 total.
    i'm curious haha

As far as the subject line "Low Carb Diet" goes, if you exercise, you need more carbs because that is mainly what you burn when exercising.

I eat less than 50gm carbs /day usually under 30gm/day. Do chores on my hobby farm, run a household with 2 children and some dogs(oldest kid has moved off to college), manage to perform my job well every day, am improving weekly on the lifting I am doing again, can run a sub 8min mile, can easily hike 4mph for 15 plus miles in hilly terrain with a 40lb pack. None of these are amazing feats but all are possible with lowered carbohydrate intake. Promise.

He isn't saying you can't, but if you are at an elite level or very high performinh level than carbs will increase performance, especially when its explosive. There are a few excepts, but its a fraction of a fraction of athletes. That is fact.

I see it all the time with the people i train and train with. When they carb refeed after being on a keto diet, all of their lifts increase. And not by a few lbs. I have seen deadlifts increase as much as 30 lbs. Carbs increase ATP availability which increase energy out put.

Now when you hage severe IR or another medical issue, then increasing carbs is a terrible ideal and not a noteworthy N=1 expirement. That person would feel terrible.

OP, i lost weight and kept it off for 6 years at 300g of carbs. My current lifts are 345 lb DL, 285 Squat, 215 Bench and 145 OHP. I only do 10-15 min of cardio since its cold. When it was warm, i was doing 2 hrs of tennis. But when i was keto cycling, it kills my heavy lifts and my tennis stamina. That might be from not being fat adapted since i carb refeedes weekly.

The biggest key is protein. It should be 1.5-2.2g/kg od weight. Fats and carbs are personal preference.

Not saying it couldn't happen with lifters but most of the success stories I read about athletes who increase performance on keto are typically runners or endurance type people. Even so they will often have a nip of carbs during the event.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    • a lot
    • a lot
    are you losing weight?
    • maintaining
    has it been hard?
    • no really the eating part, but getting into the habit of daily exercise was pretty hard
    do you exercise?
    • 7 days a week
    how much do you weigh?
    • never really went on a diet per say, but i did monitor my intake to learn how to eat better
    • 50 to 60 lbs.
    • 500 to 1000 active calories (exercise), plus my regular calories about 2000. So about 2500 to 3500 total.
    i'm curious haha

As far as the subject line "Low Carb Diet" goes, if you exercise, you need more carbs because that is mainly what you burn when exercising.

I eat less than 50gm carbs /day usually under 30gm/day. Do chores on my hobby farm, run a household with 2 children and some dogs(oldest kid has moved off to college), manage to perform my job well every day, am improving weekly on the lifting I am doing again, can run a sub 8min mile, can easily hike 4mph for 15 plus miles in hilly terrain with a 40lb pack. None of these are amazing feats but all are possible with lowered carbohydrate intake. Promise.

He isn't saying you can't, but if you are at an elite level or very high performinh level than carbs will increase performance, especially when its explosive. There are a few excepts, but its a fraction of a fraction of athletes. That is fact.

I see it all the time with the people i train and train with. When they carb refeed after being on a keto diet, all of their lifts increase. And not by a few lbs. I have seen deadlifts increase as much as 30 lbs. Carbs increase ATP availability which increase energy out put.

Now when you hage severe IR or another medical issue, then increasing carbs is a terrible ideal and not a noteworthy N=1 expirement. That person would feel terrible.

OP, i lost weight and kept it off for 6 years at 300g of carbs. My current lifts are 345 lb DL, 285 Squat, 215 Bench and 145 OHP. I only do 10-15 min of cardio since its cold. When it was warm, i was doing 2 hrs of tennis. But when i was keto cycling, it kills my heavy lifts and my tennis stamina. That might be from not being fat adapted since i carb refeedes weekly.

The biggest key is protein. It should be 1.5-2.2g/kg od weight. Fats and carbs are personal preference.

Not saying it couldn't happen with lifters but most of the success stories I read about athletes who increase performance on keto are typically runners or endurance type people. Even so they will often have a nip of carbs during the event.

And even then, 99% of them have inferior to carb based althetes.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I actually carb cycle. So I have high carb days (300g+), moderate carb days (200g) and lower carb days (100g). This is an easy way for me to control my calorie intake and be able to have higher carbs when I need them (on lifting days and weekends.. so for both workout performance and adherence).
    My protein and fat stay around the same, protein is higher around 130-160g, fat is around 75-95g.

I am losing some vanity lbs after a bulk (so a deliberate gaining cycle where I gained 15lbs) which has been going on for about 5 months. No.. not hard. I am very easy going about the whole thing. Slow and steady, barely feels like I am actually dieting. I lift weights 4-5x per week, cardio twice a week (intense intervals and steady state), also yoga some days.

I've lost about 11lbs so far (this cycle). I am pretty much wrapping it up at this point. I don't track my calorie burns so I have no idea how much I burn, but I would say more than average since I am active day to day plus I exercise a lot.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    • a lot
    • a lot
    are you losing weight?
    • maintaining
    has it been hard?
    do you exercise?
    • 7 days a week
    how much do you weigh?
    • 50 to 60 lbs.
    i'm curious haha

99% of low carb endurance athletes, even when using some carbs during an endurance event, are inferior to carb based athletes? That's a guestimate right? You'd have to do some math to account for the fewer number of low carb athletes compared to higher carb, and the fact that LCHF is still a relatively new idea to a group that traditionally does carb loading and Gu. I've never seen that figured out. ;)

Its probably being generous actually, since there is like what, one guy who has performed at the top of his sport while being low carb.

And heck, even most of the keto/lchf athletes carb load before races.

And like you always say, keto and low carb have been around for a long time. They have also been in sports for a long time. Its really only the evidence based research that is newer.

...and the empirical evidence that there are very, very few keto athletes performing at the top of their sport of choice - endurance or otherwise.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    how many carbs do you eat a day? and how much protein and fat? are you losing weight? has it been hard? do you exercise? how much do you weigh and how long have you been on a diet? how much have you lost already? how many calories do you usually burn per day?

i'm curious haha

I'm a type 2 diabetic controlled by diet and exercise. I eat low-ish carb but not keto, about 150g net carbs on a typical day. I try to get 120g or more protein, and don't worry about fat as long as I'm within my calorie limit. I'm currently down 125 lbs, maintaining at normal weight - 150 lbs - for five months now. I lost the weight over a year and a half. It wasn't hard as far as restricting calories, but I also did a lot of exercise to maintain my deficit which was hard, particularly at first when my endurance levels were low and my muscles were constantly sore. I try to get at least 400 calories worth of exercise a day, sometimes considerably more on long run days. I run, lift, cycle, dance, walk, and do Zumba. I'm hoping to lose a little more down to 137, which is theoretically ideal weight for me, so I have my maintenance calories set to the calories for that weight, which makes them 1650. I eat back most of my exercise calories, and so far my casual logging plus my not eating back all my exercise has balanced out to keep me within a couple pounds of 150.

Right now I'm training for a half marathon and not focusing on losing more weight. If I decide to get serious about getting down to 137 I will need to tighten up my logging.

Unless you have a medical condition which is benefitted by low carb, or just really prefer that way of eating, there's no reason you have to eat low carb to lose weight. Personally I have fewer cravings for sweet foods when I don't eat hyper-sweet foods, but not everyone is like that. There's also the matter of what fits in best with your social life. Choose a diet which will work for you long term, because you can't just lose weight then go right back to your old way of eating unless you want to regain the weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    • a lot
    • a lot
    are you losing weight?
    • maintaining
    has it been hard?
    do you exercise?
    • 7 days a week
    how much do you weigh?
    • 50 to 60 lbs.
    i'm curious haha

99% of low carb endurance athletes, even when using some carbs during an endurance event, are inferior to carb based athletes? That's a guestimate right? You'd have to do some math to account for the fewer number of low carb athletes compared to higher carb, and the fact that LCHF is still a relatively new idea to a group that traditionally does carb loading and Gu. I've never seen that figured out. ;)

Its probably being generous actually, since there is like what, one guy who has performed at the top of his sport while being low carb.

And like you always say, keto and low carb have been around for a long time. They have also been in sports for a long time. Its really only the evidence based research that is newer.

What I meant was if you look at the total number of low carbers compared to the pool of higher carbers, I doubt that 99% is correct.

But who knows. It may be. Time will tell.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    • a lot
    • a lot
    are you losing weight?
    • maintaining
    has it been hard?
    do you exercise?
    • 7 days a week
    how much do you weigh?
    • 50 to 60 lbs.
    i'm curious haha

What I meant was if you look at the total number of low carbers compared to the pool of higher carbers, I doubt that 99% is correct.

But who knows. It may be. Time will tell.

Your elite athletes normally come with sports scientists that are the top in their field. There would be a reason why they are not doing low carb and that would be because science has shown time and again that this is not a suitable diet for peak performance. They would be doing everything possible to give their athletes the winning edge.

There is no way that your knowledge would be superior to theirs.

Incentive to perform, make more money/make a living would also lead me to believe the vast majority of elite athletes wouldn't think twice about optimizing diet to match performance (pro-carbohydrate).