Restricting diet and no excercise

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Ive never set foot in a gym, im 50 and have the physique of a bodybuilder, my weight is up n down , i diet, to keep active i walk, i dont run my knee wont allow it now.
    My job is driving a lot, i shouldnt look like i do, work that one out ! :D

That is called "genetics".
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Being inactive has negative effects on health. Being obese and inactive has even more negative effects on health. I would encourage people to be active (not necessarily gym, I haven't used a gym since I was a teen), but I wouldn't criticize their attempts to stay at a stable healthy weight regardless of their activity. What I often see is the opposite, though. It's currently trendy to be fit and "diet" is a taboo word.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Often, our goals aren't things that actually serve us and our health. We can have the tendency to control something that gives us quick visual changes but won't help us be better or more capable people in the long run.

We have to do the hard things to learn, challenge ourselves, and grow. The obsession with constantly becoming or maintaining smallness as an end to itself is problematic when you think of the fact that the human body is amazingly good at coping and we should do things to encourage our bodies to remain healthy in that interesting state of flux as we grow and age.

Specifically, I'm talking about developing muscle mass as you grow older to help with independence and capability (there are a few articles out there talking about how we should prioritize that more), which...you can only do through weight training (even if it's body weight stuff) and eating enough to sustain that development.