Less Alcohol - October 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Allie1618
    Allie1618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I’m finding that I have little trouble with moderation in social situations. Last night I went to a winery with friends, where there was a big cookout and tons of open bottles. I was able to sample about 4 wines and stop after that. About 6 oz total I think. I then filled my wine glass with plain orange juice and was good to go. Fear of embarrassment perhaps? Whatever, it’s working!

My hard times are really at home after work. My job can be very intense at times with deadlines and a drink has always signaled the end of the work day, time to switch mental gears. I think I will try making a special AF drink on weeknights. I need some ideas!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Allie1618 wrote: »
    I’m finding that I have little trouble with moderation in social situations. Last night I went to a winery with friends, where there was a big cookout and tons of open bottles. I was able to sample about 4 wines and stop after that. About 6 oz total I think. I then filled my wine glass with plain orange juice and was good to go. Fear of embarrassment perhaps? Whatever, it’s working!

My hard times are really at home after work. My job can be very intense at times with deadlines and a drink has always signaled the end of the work day, time to switch mental gears. I think I will try making a special AF drink on weeknights. I need some ideas!

AF drinks?

I love to browse the juice aisle and get ideas there.

I buy different juices or juice mixes there (whatever takes my fancy), and then use about 200 ml in a tall glass with some sparkling mineral water, ice, and a dash of bitters.
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well....it's hard to track wine when it's coming out of a box, lol. Unfortunately, the best measuring device is how crappy I feel--I think about 20 ounces worth. I feel like I need to throw myself into something at night so I don't throw wine into me. I just haven't found that something yet. Has anyone taken up a new hobby at night to partially replace the hobby of drinking?

I like to settle down with a book.
    I always found myself rereading chapters, since I was reading them with an alcoholic beverage in hand.
    Now, tea is my drink of choice with my books, and I can recall what I've read the next day!
  • KKHKISHZKH
    KKHKISHZKH Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I drank more than I had planned to last week. I had a vegan baileys midweek, half a bottle of wine on friday, half a bottle of wine and a double gin on saturday, and 2 bottles of beer yesterday. (The beer was in memory of my Uncle who died recently. It would have been his 60th birthday yesterday, and Stella Artois was his favourite tipple). So although I was nowhere near binge drinking, I feel it has still crept back up, and I actually feel quite rough today. I don't think I'll drink at all this week to make up for it. I'll probably have a couple of glasses of prosecco on sunday though, as it's my birthday.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Saturday was bad.... I was clean again sunday and re-started my detox again today. One day at a time, right??
  • ngk2000
    ngk2000 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday-only day two.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Allie1618 wrote: »

AF drinks?

I love to browse the juice aisle and get ideas there.

I buy different juices or juice mixes there (whatever takes my fancy), and then use about 200 ml in a tall glass with some sparkling mineral water, ice, and a dash of bitters.

we have a few bars that make some excellent mocktails beyond the arnold palmer and shirley temple. their thought is some people don't drink and some people are designated drivers and they deserve good quality drinks as well. pinterest has some great recipes too.
  • Allie1618
    Allie1618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas! I have lemonade in the freezer, and some La Croix. Bet I can make a nice mocktail.
  • aceofswords
    aceofswords Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am trying to commit to being AF during the week (unless I am out with friends, then limit to 2) and limit to 2 per night on Fridays/Saturdays. I know I feel better when I make the decision not to drink on week nights but those tend to be the days I feel I need a glass of wine most!
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    GREAT FOR YOU !! Still looking forward to jumping off the wagon and managing the consumption.
  • ngk2000
    Options
    DANGIT!!
    I want a glass of Chianti RIGHT NOW. If my cellar weren't purposely empty, I'd be pouring into what my late husband called an Italian wine glass...how many juice glasses have I emptied over the years ?? Ask me now, and I'll say "Not enough". This cup of lukewarm vanilla chai tea is definitely not cutting it.
    Tomorrow is the yearly appointment with my doctor, and I do look forward to recording my recent 20 pound weight loss. Finishing the rest of my pot of tea.
    Day 127 AF is not a happy one. :s

Wishes for peace and happiness.
  • ngk2000
    Options
    Day Three.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    @mainelylisa I am so sorry you had such a bad experience the other day that start good and ended badly. My heart goes out to you...I have been in your shoes pretty much with the same senerio. It happens so quickly it seems and then the next thing your asking yourself is how did this get out of control?
    I hope today is much better for you.