How Many Days Do You Exercise?

Options
I exercise 7 days a week, and do at least 1 recorded (Garmin device) activity per day. This includes recovery activities. My least intense activity would be a 1.5 to 3 mile power walk, and my most intense activity would be a 10+ mile trail run (running and power walking) where i am in zone 4 and 5 for most of the activity.

I also ride my bike and kayak in the warm months, and do a little strength & flexibility training.

So far this year i have only had 2 days that i did not do at least 1 activity, but many days i do more than 1 activity, and so far this year i have done 371 activities.

I'm 61, so not bad for an OldAssDude. :)

How many days do you exercise?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    5-7 usually, but it also depends on my schedule. With my commute I have a 10 hour work day on Mon/Wed/Thur and 8 hours on Tuesday and Friday. I also have an 8 and 6 year old at home and they play soccer, so I have practices and games and also homework most nights so there are times when things are just too hectic to get much in. 3 days is typically my minimum...5 days is my average, and 7 days would be a very good week.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    6 - 4 w cardio and weights and 2 more with just cardio.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    5-6. 3x strength and 2-3x running and usually a hike or something on the weekend. I also ride bikes with my toddler most nights. It's not much of a workout though riding with a 2 year old :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    4-6x. At least 3-4x lifting, then most weeks I get some cardio in if I can.
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I’m inspired that you excersise 7 days a week which makes me want to push myself to do that. Currently I do 4 days, but last year I was doing 6 days (but I was feeling better than ever). I guess I can start doing 45 minute at home workouts to get myself started.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I exercise 7 days a week, and do at least 1 recorded (Garmin device) activity per day. This includes recovery activities. My least intense activity would be a 1.5 to 3 mile power walk, and my most intense activity would be a 10+ mile trail run (running and power walking) where i am in zone 4 and 5 for most of the activity.

I also ride my bike and kayak in the warm months, and do a little strength & flexibility training.

So far this year i have only had 2 days that i did not do at least 1 activity, but many days i do more than 1 activity, and so far this year i have done 371 activities.

4-6/week.

Cycling, Indoor Cycling, some HIIT, and some resistance training.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Most days. I need to go out to a tiny little mountain town and pick up some (bike) wheels I had warranty service on. It's a long drive and the days are getting real short. Good chance I won't do anything else that day, I'm bringing the bike with me to ride over a high pass the next day, so I can't just hike off and leave an expensive bike in the car or someone will break my window and take it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I run 6-7 days a week. I don't count walking as exercise personally, just more like general activity, but I usually walk 2-5 miles daily. I do body weight resistance training 5 days a week.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Every single day. My dog needs a walk twice a day, so he usually gets a couple hours of my time. On top of that I run 4 days a week and roller blade 1. Now that its getting cooler out i'm going to also start throwing some hiking in there too!
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Everyday :D
    Walking 1+ hour during my lunch break
    Running 4x per week
    Full body strength training x4 per week
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    4 days. Lift for 45-50 followed by 20 min of cardio.
    Used to be 6 with the extra 2 days being spin classes, but I’m 6 months pregnant and too tired for all that lol
  • mikeofeconomy
    mikeofeconomy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Impressive. I've actually been thinking a lot about this, so your insight would be helpful. I've been doing the 2-4 times/week for a few months (after a long break of letting myself go.) One of the things I've learned in the past 3 years is that for something to become a habit, it must be done daily, especially in the habit formation stage. I've done this successfully with my guitar practice, and am nearly there with my diet. Would love to try to make training a habit, but I'm 63 and a bit worried about over training since I've made that mistake before too. How do you manage your recovery time from strength training/weight lifting? Do you do cardio and strength in separate sessions on the same day?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Four to six. I lift every week 3-4 times (three when in deficit, four when maintaining or bulking). I fill the rest with running, yoga, and Pilates as the mood grabs me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Impressive. I've actually been thinking a lot about this, so your insight would be helpful. I've been doing the 2-4 times/week for a few months (after a long break of letting myself go.) One of the things I've learned in the past 3 years is that for something to become a habit, it must be done daily, especially in the habit formation stage. I've done this successfully with my guitar practice, and am nearly there with my diet. Would love to try to make training a habit, but I'm 63 and a bit worried about over training since I've made that mistake before too. How do you manage your recovery time from strength training/weight lifting? Do you do cardio and strength in separate sessions on the same day?

Start slow, especially with weight lifting. (It generally takes a month before you even begin to build muscle, first your connective tissue needed to strengthen, etc.) Start at a light weight and give yourself plenty of time between sessions to recover. Pay attention to how long you feel like you need.

I lift 3x a week, at lunch. I ride a bike most afternoons or evenings. I take it real easy on the bike on days when I squatted.

Forget "no pain no gain." There's a lot of benefit to exercising at a moderate intensity.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I aim for 5 days a week. 3 days of strength training and 2 cardio days. I try to stay active on the weekends but no workouts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I only do cardio on the same day on Thursday and Saturday...on Thursday I have been doing a 30 minute interval ride on my indoor trainer early in the morning and I lift in the evening. On Saturdays I lift in the morning and usually do a trail ride on my CX bike later in the afternoon. Otherwise, I do my cardio on non lifting days. I mostly road cycle or trail ride and I don't find that it impedes recovery from lifting at all. Something higher impact like running might be a different story.

Most of my riding is at a moderate conversational paced effort. I can ride 6-7 days per week and lift 3 days per week without issue most of the time if I wanted to, but my schedule doesn't usually allow for it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Usually 6 days a week in on-water rowing season, 4 days rowing, 2 days spinning, plus a little random walking, biking and other stuff. Some days have twofers, but that's not routine. I'm a definite believer in taking at least one real rest day per week, although sometimes it's active rest (mild exercise, like a walk or easy bike ride, for example).

I'm a little more lacadaisical in the Winter, and put relatively more time into some of my sedentary hobbies. I still spin twice a week in Winter, machine row typically at least one day and up to 6 days, swim a bit, weight train when I can talk myself into it, and generally mix things up.

I'm 62, 63 next month, and have been at about this activity level for around 15-16 years, most of that while I remained obese. I've been at a healthy weight for about 3 years now.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    3 - 4 days. I lean towards being incredibly lazy so I actually couldn't physically make myself do more.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

I workout everyday, including my active recovery days, because it is my sanity and my life. I have my main workout (speed & coordination, conditioning & recovery focused at the moment), then I have my support disciplines (strength & resistance, stamina & endurance, flexibility, stability & balance).
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

I mainly do cardio, and i have been trying to make myself do more muscular training. When i do do muscular training i focus mainly on total upper body (and only enough to get by) because my legs get more than enough from all the running and power walking. Recovery is normally a 1.5 to 3.8 mile power walk.

It's funny because power walking used to be my intense workout. :)