How Many Days Do You Exercise?

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I tried to do something active 7 days a week. Sometimes my "workouts" are just a nice long walk, a yoga class, or raking leaves/doing yard work for a couple of hours.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week, but most of my workouts are 90 minutes long (martial arts training). sometimes rest and muscle recovery is a good thing.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I run 7 days/week. It’s literally as much for my mental health as my physical.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    5-7 lifting 5 days a week (one body part per day).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!

A LOT OF HARD CORE PEOPLE.

I LIKE IT!!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I walk every day.
    Sometimes I do other things.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 3 days minimum, but really try for 5. I usually run at least a mile on the treadmill each day I workout, but usually 2 to 3 miles, and try to lift at least 3 of those days. But I dont always accomplish it, I work full time M-F, and pick up shifts occasionally on weekends at my 2nd job. I also have 4 kids and my husband is currently away, so getting workouts in every day is difficult.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just an observation: On a thread like this, we tend to get people chiming in who do a lot of exercise, which makes it seem like daily or near-daily is the general norm. But there's some (self-) selection bias: People who aren't very interested in exercise, or who feel guilty about what they do being "too little" . . . are less likely to speak up.

IMO, not as an expert, is that people who are just starting out in exercise after not being active at all, are best served by gradually increasing exercise frequency, duration, and intensity, as opposed to jumping right into an aggressive schedule all at once. Fitness is something you build, over time.

So, there's nothing wrong with starting out with moderate activity 2-3 times a week, or every other day, keeping it fun and energizing, then increasing from there (if desired) as fitness improves and that routine gets easier - just keep gradually increasing the challenge (doing that ought to make it more fun, ideally). Even high level athletes tend to have rest days (maybe light activity, not intense) as part of a periodized training program.

For a lot of people, especially as a brand new exerciser, going all out from day one just reinforces the idea that being active is exhausting and miserable. In reality, being active ought to be and is energizing and fun. Ramping up from a manageble initial routine is one way to make that a reality.

Starting out at a more moderate exercise frequency, duration and intensity, then building up, may not be dramatic bragging fodder, but it's a good way for a beginner to make progress and build confidence. I'd guarantee that in a few months or a year, you'll be surprising your former self at what you can do.

It's the kind of approach that took me from sedentary, inactive recovering cancer/chemotherapy patient to competing in rowing races, in around 18 months or so, when I was in my mid-40s.

Good observation.

On that same note, people who get into the habit of doing some type of activity every day regardless of fitness level and/or intensity level are more likely to make it a habit they can stick with.

Yes, they should start slow and easy, but once it becomes a daily habit, it becomes hard not to do it.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just an observation: On a thread like this, we tend to get people chiming in who do a lot of exercise, which makes it seem like daily or near-daily is the general norm. But there's some (self-) selection bias: People who aren't very interested in exercise, or who feel guilty about what they do being "too little" . . . are less likely to speak up.

IMO, not as an expert, is that people who are just starting out in exercise after not being active at all, are best served by gradually increasing exercise frequency, duration, and intensity, as opposed to jumping right into an aggressive schedule all at once. Fitness is something you build, over time.

So, there's nothing wrong with starting out with moderate activity 2-3 times a week, or every other day, keeping it fun and energizing, then increasing from there (if desired) as fitness improves and that routine gets easier - just keep gradually increasing the challenge (doing that ought to make it more fun, ideally). Even high level athletes tend to have rest days (maybe light activity, not intense) as part of a periodized training program.

For a lot of people, especially as a brand new exerciser, going all out from day one just reinforces the idea that being active is exhausting and miserable. In reality, being active ought to be and is energizing and fun. Ramping up from a manageble initial routine is one way to make that a reality.

Starting out at a more moderate exercise frequency, duration and intensity, then building up, may not be dramatic bragging fodder, but it's a good way for a beginner to make progress and build confidence. I'd guarantee that in a few months or a year, you'll be surprising your former self at what you can do.

It's the kind of approach that took me from sedentary, inactive recovering cancer/chemotherapy patient to competing in rowing races, in around 18 months or so, when I was in my mid-40s.

Well said!!

It takes time to build up exercise capacity. And for experienced people pursuing high level performance,(especially in endurance stuff) a periodized training program is very effective.

Finally, most (if not all) of the high performing athletes I know have a structured "off season" or at least a few low volume weeks to allow for both physical recovery and to provide a mental break from the training mindset.

Anybody who is going full tilt boogie all the time without including some form of periodization either: a) doesn't have the slightest idea what they're doing, and/or b) is more interested in appearing "hardcore" than training appropriately and avoiding injury.

All of this.

I *could* workout every day, but it wouldn't make it a good idea. I've got a history of stress fractures, and other fractures, and I'm not interested in working my body to the bone simply because I can or because some dude on the internet thinks it's a good idea.

I firmly have seasons -- I have half marathons in February, May, and fall that I train fairly intensely for. I relish my rest break in summer, when I get to do stuff like hiking on the weekends instead, or lift without worrying about carrying the water weight from starting a lifting routine again. I'll get my next mini-break in early December, and after having done four races in the course of two months, I am eagerly looking forward to it.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Anybody who is going full tilt boogie all the time without including some form of periodization either: a) doesn't have the slightest idea what they're doing, and/or b) is more interested in appearing "hardcore" than training appropriately and avoiding injury.

Yep! And injury is a frequent result.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Really depends on the time of year for me. In the first half of the off season from racing, I'll be at the gym 5 days a week plus some kind of activity at least one day on the weekend such as a bicycle ride. Focus on lifting with some light cardio.

The last couple month just before the season kicks off (so January timeframe) I'll ramp up to pretty intense workouts 5 days a week plus a weekend activity.

During race season, the gym visits are prone to tapering off until they full disappear the last couple months - just sheer exhaustion on my part with long weekends, short nights and no down time. Dragging my butt out of bed just to get to work on time by the end of the season.

Every year I say I'm going to keep up the workouts all summer long, but it just never happens. September and October they pretty much disappear other than really light workouts such as going for a walk, and even those are minimal and hit or miss. Obviously still riding and racing throughout this time, so it's not like I'm a couch potato - just loading and unloading for the track is a small workout, and riding at pace is a HARD workout - but Mon-Thurs/Fri, walking ends up being about the most I do.
  • Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do weight training and I also use an elliptical. Currently my schedule is 6 days on.. one day off, and im using the elliptical on alternate days. It amounts to 3 days with the weights and 3 on the elliptical. I've just dropped 50 lbs, so im moving into dietary maintenance mode, and planning on dropping back a little on cardio and upping my weight training.
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Recently, I have started back up again at the gym. And I used to go hard for a week and then quit.
    This month I have commited myself to going 3 times a week MINIMUM, and if I go more that's awesome.
    I have done 1 week going 3x, the rest of the weeks I did 4x. MY goal next month is to go at least 4x, and hopefully 5, and work my way up.
    Mostly cardio for me..but I tried to do my muscles at least 2x.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    7. I run 5 days a week. Sun, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. Fridays are long runs. Wednesday and Saturdays are weight training days as well as some biking and/or walking. But I don’t have a car so I walk daily to the subway, store, other errands and my job keeps me active and moving also. I get about 130K steps per week, and I’m running about 25 miles. I don’t bike as much in the fall because of the debris on the road.