Less Alcohol - October 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Old habits are coming back. I had 3 glasses of wine last night. THREE!!!!!!

Shooting for AF Friday!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking. It has been very helpful to know I am not the only one with this issue.

I had surgery in late September and had a liver complication from medication, so I have not been allowed to drink while it is healing. It was quite eye-opening. I would have said I drank socially, but suddenly, in the evenings, I became aware that I had been drinking quite a bit, having wine maybe four or five nights a week. Most of the time, I could stop at a small glass or two, but often enough, I would drink three, four, or the whole bottle. And drinking always makes eating seem like a good idea. It's no wonder I have gained weight this year despite always trying to lose.

I am not quite at a full sober October as I broke down and had a couple of ounces on Monday, but I went for 24 days without and am definitely going to be having a lot less or maybe none in future.

Being somewhat introverted, wine relaxes me and helps me commit to social events. Since I work alone, I do try to get out and interact. I am concerned that I won't be as fun, interesting, tolerable, or even tolerant with others. And I am going to lose a few friends if I stop drinking, because wine is what connects us. I also frequently visit local craft breweries with my husband and 21-year-old son; it is one of the few things our son will do with us. I hope I can find something else to bring us together.

in 12 step meetings, it is not uncommon to hear someone say, "i'm just here to listen"
    that's ok. :smile:
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Great job, Frank!

Hugs, Beka!

Oh, Lisa, you just described my experience/emotions perfectly. I have a problem with moderation, because even if I manage to stop myself at one, it’s never enough. I always want another and another....

I am starting to see real benefits in my sleep. I have been sleeping a solid seven hours the past few nights and waking up refreshed. It is amazing.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I apologize to anyone I've "woo'd" on here...I thought it meant Woo-Hoo! Let me see if I can find those and undo them....
  • frankshort2333
    frankshort2333 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great job, Frank!

Hugs, Beka!

Oh, Lisa, you just described my experience/emotions perfectly. I have a problem with moderation, because even if I manage to stop myself at one, it’s never enough. I always want another and another....

I am starting to see real benefits in my sleep. I have been sleeping a solid seven hours the past few nights and waking up refreshed. It is amazing.

Rachelle, thanks. You describe my problem exactly.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon...officially on my three day get away. For my most favorite holiday HALLOWEEN.

@RunRachelleRun welcome to our little group. I was a lurker" for several weeks back in January before I first posted. I felt a connection with so many and then knew I was not alone either.

Awesome job Frank!

@Becka3695 new day new start. Don't beat yourself up over it😊

Here is your WOO HOO Lisa!!

@ngk2000 your rocking that AF with 6 days.

I just wanted to mention that I to went through the back and forth emotions of totaly sober or moderation. I think I had to get through that roller coaster to establish to myself that yes I can like anything else in my life control it. There was a time I would buy a bag of Doritos and just sit and eat the entire big bag within a matter of an hour. Same with ice cream...buy it and it was gone. Now I buy small bags or the sample size. I am not saying this is how everyones situation is, yet it works for me.i also went through the phase where I thought I needed sweets because I was giving up alcohol. That only proved the give me a tooth ache and gain weight.

Wishing everyone a successful day and weekend.
  • mainelylisa
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    Good afternoon...officially on my three day get away. For my most favorite holiday HALLOWEEN.

Hope you have a wicked great time!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    Old habits are coming back. I had 3 glasses of wine last night. THREE!!!!!!

Shooting for AF Friday!

Hi Beka...it happens. Right now I've decided for me it's easier to abstain that try to moderate. Moderation is exhausting. I ate dinner with a girlfriend last night and we sat at the bar. She had a giant beautiful martini glass of a cocktail and everyone around was drinking wine--the glasses seemed to twinkle and I think even had halos over them, lol. I was lusting somewhat as I sipped my cranberry & soda, but then I focused on how good the food was, and how well I'll sleep and how non-sucky and non-bloated I'll feel in the morning, and how I know I'll lose weight if I cut out alcohol. I also thought about...ok if I had one, I'd want another...and another. Then when will I have the satisfaction that "....mmmm that was good. I'm done." NEVER. Or unless I somewhat passed out. Oh, and my check would have been twice what it was. These small tactics help me sometimes.

It's all a mind game, really.

@mainelylisa That pretty much sums it up! Good post.

Now, after 8 months or more, I realise that the quick flash of "A drink looks good" is just a memory glitch, and I quickly follow it up with the more peaceful and rational feelings of all the Zen benefits being alcohol-free has given me.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My original aim was to have 29/31 alcohol free days between 24th Sep and 24th Oct. I ended up with 31 AF days (out of 34) between 21st Sept and 24th Oct so pleased with that overall despite having one more drinking day than I had planned to allow myself.

Thursday night (25th) I drank way more than I should - my idea of drinking in moderation disappeared on first day so really need to think about how I manage that in future. Yesterday I had one drink with lunch, and whilst I was very tempted to have more in the evening I resisted. Tonight I'm out for what I already know will be a big one. I'm not even going to try to curb my drinking tonight (which I know I probably should) but instead focus on trying to remember to have some water every once in a while instead. Hopefully that'll stop tomorrow being completely wasted!

Next week I'll have a proper think about how to go about successfully moderating my intake on days I drink as it's very much all or nothing for me (which applies to a lot of what I do!). I know a number of you have successfully done this so I'll be reading your posts for inspiration. Hope you all have good weekends, x
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    ngk2000 wrote: »
    Today is Day Eight AF.

peace and happiness back atcha...you're doing great !!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ngk2000 wrote: »
    Today is Day Eight AF.

Woo hoo!! Over a week!!
  • frankshort2333
    frankshort2333 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »

Hope you have a wicked great time!

Hope it was a great weekend.
  • mainelylisa
    Options
    Good morning and afternoon! Day 8 AF here. I've eaten more cookies last week than I have in almost an entire year, and I lost 3 pounds. What's my secret?
    1. No hangover
    2. Cookie for workout energy (and a kind of pre-earned reward)
    3. Hard (for me) workout
    4. Save 300-600 calories from wine
    5. Sleep well (for me)--assuming lots of bizarre dreams is "good" sleep--I'll save for another post
    6. Repeat.

When I drink, I usually drink enough (2+) to have bad hangovers. When I have bad hangovers, I don't work out. And eat fattening food to...soak up the poison during the day, and then wine o'clock rolls around...so guess it's not really that much of a secret.

Hope everyone can find their secret recipe and that special reward for hard work. Have a great Monday (or at least not a sucky one--it IS Monday, after all. :) )
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Marvelous Monday to you all.

Big congrats for @ngk2000 tallying in at over a WEEK AF!!! That is awesome.

Also to @xpander76 for an entire MONTH of AF. You really put sober October on the map.

@dkabambe these are really normal back and forth motions you are experiencing. As @mainelylisa said "IT IS ALL A MIND GAME, REALLY". You will find your niche soon.

@mainelylisa those are some awesome stats and facts your tossing out. I want your cookie diet please. LOL No really.....fantastic job.

Nice to go away like I did. But also nice to get back home. Halloween weekend was a blast. I took with me a bottle of prosecco that was a gift. And returned home with it empty. And without even a split second of regret. My planned 3 day was a success, no out of control behavior and I can recall every moment. Now back to AF. until my next planned adventure. Maybe around Thanksgiving sometime.

3 more days of October. I am very happy for everyone that has taken this ride with us on here.
    Next stop.... NOVEMBER.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10703931/less-alcohol-november-2018-one-day-at-a-time#latest