Options

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    vanmep wrote: »
    What are the concerns your SO is expressing? Is it related only to the weight loss or is he noticing behaviours related to your weight that are worrying him?

Just the weight loss & lack of current fitness ability.

My only problematic behaviours are binging & overeating, especially when emotions are involved. Comfort eating is a definite issue. I also have a hard time stopping if there’s highly palatable food in the room. It’s like this low frequency buzz where it’s hard to focus on anything else.

But that’s me saying that not my SO. I don’t think my SO sees much of that, it’s something I deal with mostly on my own. A lot of my weight loss process has been not engaging in these behaviours - my SO can pace themself with junk foods and I absolutely cannot. I will eat it until it’s gone even if I make myself sick in the process.

So I’m not like issue free, but no issues the way you’re suggesting here.

Okay, but what does your SO actually SAY about your weight loss? Can you give us a sample conversation that includes both of your typical points?

I’m a binge-er, too, and I lost my weight when I stopped. That’s actually reassuring to some of the people who’ve asked me about it, because I can tell them I’ve stopped overeating, rather than that I “dieted.” And I’m not about to eat more than my body needs just to make others feel comfortable; that would be silly.

We haven’t actually talked about it a ton tbh. The most common thing is a compliment “you look good”/“that shirt looks good on you” or “you’ve done a really great job with weight loss” etc. The comment was like “you should probably stop and focus on building strength” & “especially because you lost weight so quickly”. I do wonder if my SO maybe thinks you can’t build strength in a deficit and maybe that’s the question I’d need to talk with them over. To my knowledge you can but it can be harder/slower.

I’ve really appreciated the help on this thread. I guess wondering if a longer maintenance break would be important or a slow weight loss might be a good idea - while including strength as an important goal. It’s something I’ve wanted to work on and haven’t felt like I’ve had the time/energy yet so that could also be part of it.

Edit: I just saw you also want to know what my SO said about my weight before I started losing & it was pretty much nothing. It’s only a topic of discussion because it’s a change.

Aha! It sounds, honestly, like there’s a disconnect here between what they’re saying and what you’re hearing. During rapid weight loss, muscle loss is common as well. “You should stop and build strength since you lost weight so fast” doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with you weighing too little or being too skinny in their opinion. It more likely means exactly what they said: you lost a lot of weight quickly and probably lost a lot of muscle along with it, which it sounds like you didn’t have in abundance before. Now that you’ve been maintaining for a bit anyway, it makes good sense to try to build muscle. If you want to go back to losing right away, just incorporate strength training to keep what you have.

Yeah that makes sense!! Do you (or anyone else) think it’s important to have a longer maintenance break when I start working on strength or is going back to losing 0.5-1lb/week okay?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have lost weight quickly, allowing it down to 0.5lbs to 1lb per week max is a good idea.

Your current maintenance break has probably been a good thing.

Have you been strength training as you've lost weight? If not, then definitely start now!

Thank you!

I was planning on aiming for 1lb, but maybe aiming for .5lb might be a good idea. It’s almost maintenance and should keep things from continuing dramatically, while still being on the right track. Sort of a good compromise.

Nope, while my physio includes some strength work - fire hydrants and single leg bridge pose - I haven’t really done any dedicated strength training. I would really like to start except I feel absolutely out of my depth. If I had the money I’d try one of those single consultation personal training things to get me started, but I don’t. I’ve tried to read some, on Reddit & here, I’ve looked at Nerd Fitness bodyweight routine but I feel like I can’t do certain pieces either due to injury (no twisting motions or lunges or jumping for my knee) or just flat out weakness (push ups - no knee push ups either because knee). Reddit bodyweight fitness has a complex plan that looks good & like it has stuff in place to modify it, but I can’t figure out the pieces myself. I worry I might be overthinking this stuff and I should just start something, but I don’t know what to do, lmao.

You're getting a gym membership in January? That should come with at least one session with a trainer. That's enough time to put together a routine for you. Let them know about your knee upfront.

I've taken several small group classes with trainers at various gyms and found them very helpful, and very cheap, if not free. At the last one, I told the trainer ahead of time that I was coming and had knee issues, and she was ready with modifications for me, which I appreciated very much.

I've been dealing with knee issues for almost 9 years and encourage you to not be like me and push it :(

I'm currently back to just walking and yoga for lower body and strength training upper body only.
  • kiela64
    edited October 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I agree that you have lost weight quickly, allowing it down to 0.5lbs to 1lb per week max is a good idea.

Have you been strength training as you've lost weight? If not, then definitely start now!

Thank you!

I was planning on aiming for 1lb, but maybe aiming for .5lb might be a good idea. It’s almost maintenance and should keep things from continuing dramatically, while still being on the right track. Sort of a good compromise.

Nope, while my physio includes some strength work - fire hydrants and single leg bridge pose - I haven’t really done any dedicated strength training. I would really like to start except I feel absolutely out of my depth. If I had the money I’d try one of those single consultation personal training things to get me started, but I don’t. I’ve tried to read some, on Reddit & here, I’ve looked at Nerd Fitness bodyweight routine but I feel like I can’t do certain pieces either due to injury (no twisting motions or lunges or jumping for my knee) or just flat out weakness (push ups - no knee push ups either because knee). Reddit bodyweight fitness has a complex plan that looks good & like it has stuff in place to modify it, but I can’t figure out the pieces myself. I worry I might be overthinking this stuff and I should just start something, but I don’t know what to do, lmao.

You're getting a gym membership in January? That should come with at least one session with a trainer. That's enough time to put together a routine for you. Let them know about your knee upfront.

I've taken several small group classes with trainers at various gyms and found them very helpful, and very cheap, if not free. At the last one, I told the trainer ahead of time that I was coming and had knee issues, and she was ready with modifications for me, which I appreciated very much.

I've been dealing with knee issues for almost 9 years and encourage you to not be like me and push it :(

I'm currently back to just walking and yoga for lower body and strength training upper body only.

It sadly does not come with any personal training. It's part of my school tuition. Which means it's over an hour away from where I live, but still better than nothing. There are free group fitness classes though, and I did try one that turned out to not be terrible - a Barre/Core class. Although the Zumba was terrible, all twisting and jumping and impossible to follow despite being for "beginners" :neutral:

I've always been too intimidated to try the pool (highly recommended by my physiotherapist to swim more) and the weight machines. There are a lot of weight machines that I can't identify, and a lot of Very Fit people my age that want to use them. It gets very busy & it's all in a circle, so people are sitting across from you on the cardio machines staring you down... I need to challenge myself to try but tbh I don't know how it'll go... If I could try now when I'm not doing classes and have a ton of free time while I'm recovering I think I could get over it, but once classes start and I start freaking out about that I honestly just don't know.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Thank you!

It sadly does not come with any personal training. It's part of my school tuition. Which means it's over an hour away from where I live, but still better than nothing. There are free group fitness classes though, and I did try one that turned out to not be terrible - a Barre/Core class. Although the Zumba was terrible, all twisting and jumping and impossible to follow despite being for "beginners" :neutral:

I've always been too intimidated to try the pool (highly recommended by my physiotherapist to swim more) and the weight machines. There are a lot of weight machines that I can't identify, and a lot of Very Fit people my age that want to use them. It gets very busy & it's all in a circle, so people are sitting across from you on the cardio machines staring you down... I need to challenge myself to try but tbh I don't know how it'll go... If I could try now when I'm not doing classes and have a ton of free time while I'm recovering I think I could get over it, but once classes start and I start freaking out about that I honestly just don't know.

I hate busy gyms and always go at off peak times, which may not be the times I'd prefer to go, but are the times I can stand to go.
  • kiela64
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    We can safely lose weight faster the more we have of it. So on it's own, a loss of 2.5 pounds a week when you were weighing 210 doesn't sound to me like it was unsafe. It makes sense to slow it down now that you have lost as much weight as you have. I still think at your weight you could lose a pound a week safely.

So my question for you would be are you exhibiting any unsafe eating behaviors? Are you eating consistently less than 1200 net calories (calories after exercise is accounted for)? Do you exhibit any behaviors that show evidence of an eating disorder? As long as the answers to these questions are no, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good idea for you to continue on your journey.

I obviously don't know what your SO is thinking, but I think sometimes people get worried that if their partner loses a bunch of weight, that they will leave them because now they can "date someone better" because they are skinnier. My wife jokingly says to me "you're not allowed to get skinny and leave me," but I do believe it's a real concern for some people. So if your SO is feeling insecure about the state of your relationship, that could be one of the reasons why.

I wasn't 210, and when I was losing at that rate over 2lb/week it was from about 190-180. Definitely not a good idea now & I truly wasn't trying to do that in the first place. I was aiming for 1-1.5lb/week and didn't really understand/trust that the trending app was accurate in that estimate until someone talked the math through with me. Now I know, yep I did that!

Definitely not. I think when I lost super fast I had a couple days a week under 1200 (and then usually one at 2000+ with date night), but I haven't had days that low in months. I can't even fathom it at this point tbh. I like food XD I've eaten 1300 so far today and I know I'm going to eat more because I'm still hungry.

I can't imagine my SO would be seriously concerned about that (SO lucky to have them in my life XD), but I could see that sort of primal fear being an undercurrent, thanks for the heads up! I hadn't considered it as a factor.
  • kiela64
    Options

Thank you!

I hate busy gyms and always go at off peak times, which may not be the times I'd prefer to go, but are the times I can stand to go.

Yeah... It would be good to figure out what non-peak times are other than like 6am/10pm. I can't do the super early mornings/late nights because I live an hour away and I'm reliant on transit.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, and nobody knows you and your body better than you and those close to you - also, I'm no expert - so take this "advice" with a degree of caution, but I'd just say that you might, like me, find that it gets harder to lose weight the closer you get to your goal.

I lost a little heart when my progress started slowing, and if I could have found a way to "reset" my expectations, I think I'd have been a lot happier.

If you and your SO feel that there haven't been any negatives in your approach so far, then I'd suggest continuing, but with it in mind that you might notice that further weight loss naturally occurs a little bit slower than it has to date.

Good luck.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thank you!

Yeah... It would be good to figure out what non-peak times are other than like 6am/10pm. I can't do the super early mornings/late nights because I live an hour away and I'm reliant on transit.

I would like to point out that January is going to be insanely busy no matter what time due to New Year's resolutioners. So you might find it crowded and overwhelming at first, but it will die down by March at the latest.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Thank you!

I would like to point out that January is going to be insanely busy no matter what time due to New Year's resolutioners. So you might find it crowded and overwhelming at first, but it will die down by March at the latest.

Great lmao that’s like the whole semester 😐
  • kshama2001
    Options

Thank you!

Is there a $10 a month Planet Fitness more convenient to you?

Also, YMCAs have scholarships which you may qualify for.
  • kiela64
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thank you!

The YMCA near me is under construction & has been for like 2 years now lol. Not really. I just checked and the closest Planet Fitnesss is an hour away also (I take transit, so even if something is technically close-ish the time can be double or even triple what a car would take because of detours and stuff).

There is a local small independent gym ~10min away that I've looked into, but it's like $100+tax per month at the new-member discount ($200/month after the first month, is this normal? lol I have sticker shock over looking this up!). And I'm not sure that it even has equipment, it might just be group fitness classes.

There is a community centre 20min away but that just has a pool. I might go there, it's just swimming. Still a start! This is a good reminder I need to call about the cost, I meant to do that last week, thanks!

The school gym is free when I do go, so I do really want to go there because I'm technically paying for it anyway. I just need to not be a scardey cat. But I totally am one.... lol.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not sure where you are but Planet Fitness is a great bargain! Tons of treadmills, bikes, elliptical machines, and weight machines. A few smaller free weights and classes. I know it's not for everyone but it works great for me. Your SO can have their opinion, but you and your doctor are the best people to make this decision. It is nice that he's concerned. My SO asked me to quit losing weight once because he liked me heavier. Now that we're a little older he is more concerned about my health than my *kitten*. He had to grow up a little :wink:
  • lunnon1984
    lunnon1984 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'll start with the stats, because this is what is convincing me I should still focus on weight loss as a goal. I'm 5'2, SW:205, CW: 160 GW: 130 (or normal/healthy BMI for my height). Currently I'm just at the point of no longer being obese. Just there. Top end of overweight BMI for my height. Like, barely not obese anymore. I think lots of people start here, and it doesn't seem like a good place to stop to me.

My SO's concerns are: I've lost weight quickly. I lost most of my weight in May, June, July, August. I lost in September too, but slower. I saw for some weeks in June & July, my weight trending app (Happy Scale) shows me losing at a rate of 2.5lbs - which is too fast. I worked on slowing down, and September had more weeks at 1.2/ and 0.8lb/week.

Currently I've been unintentionally maintaining for 2.5 weeks due to being off of work with a concussion that kinda shot my motivation, energy, & focus on everything (starting back to work slowly now). I don't think this is bad (very happy I didn't really gain), but I expressed that I would like to start back trying to tighten up my eating & logging. My SO thought I shouldn't, and should instead focus on fitness and specifically strength now I've lost ~45lbs.

I am definitely interested in working on these things. I've been out of the gym for a while unfortunately (currently no membership, but this will change in January). I've been extremely sedentary most of my life. I've never really worked out a consistent exercise routine for myself other than my physio exercises for my knee. But I don't think that I should maintain at this weight. I have knee issues that may improve with weight loss that takes pressure off of the joint.

I will say visually it's been a little dramatic. I'm currently the size I was in high school, and all of my mom's friends keep commenting on how slender I look. I felt a little startled by my reflection too for a while, but I feel like in the last couple weeks of maintenance my brain has caught up and I no longer feel so vain or creeped out by the difference. I think a short break at maintenance was good for me to catch up.

I think despite that, objectively I'm still overweight and at an unhealthy weight here, and my habits aren't currently so great w/re: eating. Although it would be improved with fitness & strength training for sure, I'm not sure maintenance is the right idea. Although it's appealing to me because I am definitely tired out from this process so far.

I would appreciate any more opinions because I'm sure everyone else is much more informed, either through personal experiences or reading. Thank you <3

Hi there! Firstly well done for loosing all that weight! But yes you may want to think about slowing it down a little. Definitely start weight training and maybe get yourself a personal trainer just to begin with so you know what you are doing in regards to the different exercises etc so you don't hurt yourself.
    I can understand your SO being concerned as you lost weight so quickly, try and aim for around 0.5 to 1lb a week so the weight comes off safely and correctly. Again, well done x
  • kiela64
    Options
    lunnon1984 wrote: »
    I'll start with the stats, because this is what is convincing me I should still focus on weight loss as a goal. I'm 5'2, SW:205, CW: 160 GW: 130 (or normal/healthy BMI for my height). Currently I'm just at the point of no longer being obese. Just there. Top end of overweight BMI for my height. Like, barely not obese anymore. I think lots of people start here, and it doesn't seem like a good place to stop to me.

My SO's concerns are: I've lost weight quickly. I lost most of my weight in May, June, July, August. I lost in September too, but slower. I saw for some weeks in June & July, my weight trending app (Happy Scale) shows me losing at a rate of 2.5lbs - which is too fast. I worked on slowing down, and September had more weeks at 1.2/ and 0.8lb/week.

Currently I've been unintentionally maintaining for 2.5 weeks due to being off of work with a concussion that kinda shot my motivation, energy, & focus on everything (starting back to work slowly now). I don't think this is bad (very happy I didn't really gain), but I expressed that I would like to start back trying to tighten up my eating & logging. My SO thought I shouldn't, and should instead focus on fitness and specifically strength now I've lost ~45lbs.

I am definitely interested in working on these things. I've been out of the gym for a while unfortunately (currently no membership, but this will change in January). I've been extremely sedentary most of my life. I've never really worked out a consistent exercise routine for myself other than my physio exercises for my knee. But I don't think that I should maintain at this weight. I have knee issues that may improve with weight loss that takes pressure off of the joint.

I will say visually it's been a little dramatic. I'm currently the size I was in high school, and all of my mom's friends keep commenting on how slender I look. I felt a little startled by my reflection too for a while, but I feel like in the last couple weeks of maintenance my brain has caught up and I no longer feel so vain or creeped out by the difference. I think a short break at maintenance was good for me to catch up.

I think despite that, objectively I'm still overweight and at an unhealthy weight here, and my habits aren't currently so great w/re: eating. Although it would be improved with fitness & strength training for sure, I'm not sure maintenance is the right idea. Although it's appealing to me because I am definitely tired out from this process so far.

I would appreciate any more opinions because I'm sure everyone else is much more informed, either through personal experiences or reading. Thank you <3

Hi there! Firstly well done for loosing all that weight! But yes you may want to think about slowing it down a little. Definitely start weight training and maybe get yourself a personal trainer just to begin with so you know what you are doing in regards to the different exercises etc so you don't hurt yourself.
    I can understand your SO being concerned as you lost weight so quickly, try and aim for around 0.5 to 1lb a week so the weight comes off safely and correctly. Again, well done x

Thank you, I would really love to try personal training but it is seriously priced out of my reach. I work part time for minimum wage and I'm in school so I'm trying to save as much as possible. But when I do get back to the gym maybe there is something where people can give me directions, I don't know.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Thank you!

The YMCA near me is under construction & has been for like 2 years now lol. Not really. I just checked and the closest Planet Fitnesss is an hour away also (I take transit, so even if something is technically close-ish the time can be double or even triple what a car would take because of detours and stuff).

There is a local small independent gym ~10min away that I've looked into, but it's like $100+tax per month at the new-member discount ($200/month after the first month, is this normal? lol I have sticker shock over looking this up!). And I'm not sure that it even has equipment, it might just be group fitness classes.

There is a community centre 20min away but that just has a pool. I might go there, it's just swimming. Still a start! This is a good reminder I need to call about the cost, I meant to do that last week, thanks!

The school gym is free when I do go, so I do really want to go there because I'm technically paying for it anyway. I just need to not be a scardey cat. But I totally am one.... lol.

No, $200/month is not normal, unless that is coming with personal training or massages or something. Maybe look for a Groupon for that place? They may jack the prices up if they get a lot of people in from Groupon.