Tips to maintain without daily tracking for the rest of my life, please?

124»

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    i wish i didnt have to log or exercise or weigh but it is what it is. I like being thinner and fitting in those clothes, no better feeling. I probably wouldnot have to log if I ate low carb but it is pretty restrictive, miss those beans and fruits.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Since I’m always a little hungry or very hungry I have to log, if I didn’t I would gain the 75 lbs back. My hormones think I’m starving and constantly encourage me to eat to gain that weight back. Some days it’s not that hard to eat only my maintenance calories and other days it’s very, very hard. The only thing I can do is look at the calories I’ve eaten and then decide if I can give in to the hungry a little or not.
  • DvoycY
    DvoycY Posts: 38 Member
    Hate to be ignorant but I am not sure how does the medication cause "real" weight gain. In my understanding, it is the calories which cause weight gain (through increasing the body fat due to the excess surplus); otherwise it is just water weight/being bloated (like after the cheat-day - due to carbs/salt/etc.). If so, this is not a real weight but rather some excess on top that can be safely ignored for tracking purposes.
  • DvoycY
    DvoycY Posts: 38 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    @DvoycY our weight is controlled mainly by our hormones inside of our bodies because if we are fully healthy and eating the nutrition that our body needs we should get full and stop eating. They are what drive us to over, correctly or under eat calories. Medication may or may not mess with our hormones causing us to gain real weight (not just water weight).

Calories count but we need to find why we may be over eating them. A stop gap measure can be counting the calories that we eat until we figure out why our fuel gauge never registers FULL. Often it can be we are eating calories but the nutrition the brain is looking for is not in them so it tells us to keep eating hoping it will be fed what it needs to have the best possible health.

So much bro science in that one. Our weight is controlled by how many calories we consume. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as hormones go;

Increases in the hormone insulin diminish blood glucose. If your blood glucose level drops, your brain, which automatically monitors your blood chemistry, will trigger hunger. This will cause the hypothalamus to secrete orexin and the stomach to release ghrelin, a hunger-arousing hormone. Leptin is a protein hormone secreted by fat cells and when it is abundant, causes the brain to increase metabolism and decrease appetite. Also, Pyy is an appetite hormone released by the digestive tract which again, signals the brain that you are full. These hormones don't always work as they should so many of us miss the I am full signal, or confuse the I am thirsty signal with an I am hungry signal. Some also fail to pay attention to those signals, or don't realise that you have 20-30 minutes for the body to register that you have had enough to eat. This is why there is a recommendation to slow down and chew carefully and wait 20 minutes or so to determine if you really are still hungry.

Hormones that control appetite, even if they aren't working as they should or you aren't paying attention to them don't cause you to gain weight. They only influence your satiety. The only thing that causes weight gain is eating more calories than you burn. These hormones also work against us when we are trying to lose weight because our bodies will fight to keep us at the weight we are. Hence, why so many have success with calorie counting. When some people count calories they relearn how to listen to their bodies and can maintain weight within continuing to do so. Others have no such luck. It has nothing to do with our brains looking for certain nutrition from certain food, just our brains telling us we need more food.

Like it's been said, the majority of the diet is bad (processed carbs, bad fats, little complete protein) - which causes people to overeat. On top of that, liquid calories, excess salt, alcohol - other reasons to overeat. As well as social pressures, fat acceptance, etc.

Not everyone can follow an intuitive eating approach - I was on a deficit for the last 10 months but when I let myself eat as much as I want I tend to have these 5K+ cheat days, meaning that CICO and tracking should be used. However there are no excuses really - just run a 500 daily deficit, eat plenty of vegetables and drink plenty of water. Caffeine and chewing gums help to suppress hunger. Finally, comfort eating is a big issue and lack of self long-term accountability.
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    DvoycY wrote: »
    Hate to be ignorant but I am not sure how does the medication cause "real" weight gain. In my understanding, it is the calories which cause weight gain (through increasing the body fat due to the excess surplus); otherwise it is just water weight/being bloated (like after the cheat-day - due to carbs/salt/etc.). If so, this is not a real weight but rather some excess on top that can be safely ignored for tracking purposes.

You'd be surprised...I never believed it either until my GP recommended swapping contraceptive pill for implant. I gained approx 3 stones in a month, and I was not eating any more or any differently than before. Until this day my metabolism is not the same, not even close to what it used to be, and it's been years since I took the implant out....

me too.............in a matter of 2 months I gained 20kgs..even when I took it out, it messed up something internally which I am slowly recouperating.

• jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    @sgt1372, I am sorry you think so many of us, including me, are dishonest because there is no way to verify that we can maintain our weight without logging out food and weighing ourselves at regular intervals.

You shouldn't have, but have, upset me more than a stranger, though I thought I was familiar with you, on the net should.

I have sat for more than half an hour thinking of a rebuttal, and wondering if pictures would satisfy you, but in the end, I decided there is no need for me to justify myself.

Believe me a liar if you wish. I'm not.

Cheers, h.
    (Sorry for the minor rant folks, not used to my word being called into question)

First of all, to @middlehaitch: Over the years, you have been kind to many and have given very helpful advice in this forum and some others. I am sorry that you felt you were accused of being dishonest. I, for one, don't believe this is the case.
    To further comment on the OP's original question, I am four years into maintenance and I still log every day. I find it very simple, using MFP. But many people don't log and they maintain successfully. Much like the diet you choose and the maintenance you choose, this is ALWAYS about what works for YOU and not for others. Find the path that is the right one for you, follow it, and you will do well. Sometimes that means logging, sometimes that means using NEAT, sometimes it means you will differ from others. As long as it works for you, that's what is important. I would take the advice offered here, sift through it, and use what works.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    I lost 154lbs over a year ago. I never tracked past four months in. I learned what my body needed. I eat whatever I want I just know what it takes to burn it off and make a decision whether it’s worth it or not. I eat more calories now than I did heavy on some days. For me it’s about balance, choices, sleep, activity.

Example, if I want pizza I eat a slice and a large salad light dressing. I want two pieces of pizza I eat the salad first, then first piece, sometimes I get to second. Many times our mind is bigger than our stomach. If I do eat two, I know it takes me over an hour and a half to burn off with serious cardio. Worth it, not usually? Then there are days where it doesn’t matter and I eat good most of the day and not the rest. It’s fine, do the work in the gym and eat good most of the time, you’re set.

One slice of loaded pizza can equal three eggs (2 whites), turkey, cheese, onions, on side toast, peanut butter, banana and cup of carrots.

I get a lot more full on the second and takes me a lot longer to eat.

All in my opinion. I take no supplements, surgery, low anything or gluten free, yadda yadda. Pm if you have questions.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    In maintenance for almost 5 years. I don't log anymore BUT I do measure my carbs. I don't bother measuring my proteins (except for a rough guesstimate to make sure I get enough) or my fats. I intermittently fast every day 16:8 because it's simple and fits my work/life schedule. Know your trigger foods and keep a close watch on them, even if you don't watch anything else in maintenance. I weigh once a week and have a pair of non stretch skinny jeans that I measure by.