Tips to maintain without daily tracking for the rest of my life, please?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in about 5.5 years of maintenance. I eat well for the most part from a nutritional standpoint and exercise regularly...that's about it. I keep an eye on the scale and if it starts to creep up as a trend, I know I just need to scale back a snack or something for a couple of weeks.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Malethyst wrote: »
    I tracked for almost a year straight. I stopped tracking and after a while slowly gained weight back.

Thing is that you can't expect the "bad" automatisms that sneaked in for years can be changed in a short period of time.
    Maintaining is, just like weight-loss, btw, a question of baby-steps.
    Learn to eat according to the needs of your body
    Learn to listen to your body again

Exchanging the "bad" automatisms that presented you with some additional lbs takes time, for some it takes longer other make it in a significantly shorter period.
    I am maintaining for (almost) two years now and still track more or less accurately (for a given value of accurate).
    It is still a long way, but I have time ... no need to hurry ... Haste made me fat

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I would be very curious to know from those of you that don't log any more how much weight you lost. I'm curious if you lost smaller amounts and therefore already had better eating habits than those of us who lost large amounts. Personally I still log and have been in maintenance about a year. I'm scared to death to regain. Am I just paranoid or am I more likely to regain?

Well, I for one do fit into your hypothesis. I started mid-BMI, began maintenance at bottom of BMI range and gained back to mid-BMI with muscle. So I haven't really been able to maintain the same weight without logging.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would be very curious to know from those of you that don't log any more how much weight you lost. I'm curious if you lost smaller amounts and therefore already had better eating habits than those of us who lost large amounts. Personally I still log and have been in maintenance about a year. I'm scared to death to regain. Am I just paranoid or am I more likely to regain?

Well, I for one do fit into your hypothesis. I started mid-BMI, began maintenance at bottom of BMI range and gained back to mid-BMI with muscle. So I haven't really been able to maintain the same weight without logging.

I do too. I've only ever been overweight right after giving birth to my second child and I lost 25 lbs total.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I find that if I keep active, maintenance isn't particularly difficult so long as I'm not going off the rails food wise. It's when my activity level dips that I have issues...this frequently happens in the winter when my fitness as well as general activity tends to be substantially less...I usually put on about 8-10 Lbs. Fortunately, the high water mark usually hits right as spring is approaching and the cycling season kicks off.

This year I'm going to try to stay more active in the winter though...but that ultimately is going to mean spending a lot of time on my indoor trainer, which I don't particularly care for.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options

I have lost 40...but at other times in my younger life.. I often lost any weight I wanted never weighing myself or counting calories. When I joined MFP about 8 years ago is when I tried to count calories to control my weight. It has never worked for me.. I was overweight the entire time until this year when I went back to my old ways of just eating healthy..using food rules and exercise.

I just don't think I'm wired for logging.. but I do recognize it works very well for many of you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@cheryldumais

Only 30lbs lost for me.

But really I've always considered maintenance (not always at the right weight unfortunately but in a fairly stable weight range) something I have to think about consciously but I'm able to achieve.

My weight gain was sudden following a major injury which not only made me inactive for months but also weakened my resolve through depression. Once I was back on my feet I maintained but roughly 30lbs overweight for two decades.

I have concerns that when/if I can't continue my active lifestyle and high exercise levels I will have to adapt my eating but I've done it in the past to accommodate life changes so should be able to adapt again in the future. Logging was useful for dieting as that's the thing I find hard - the data made me accountable and stripped away excuses, if I need that tool again in the future I would use it.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I weigh daily and keep a casual eye on developing trends. Haven't logged food in ages but still log my exercise as it gives me a guide to my overall requirements (it's a very significant contributor for me and varies a lot from season to season - probably not necessary for most people).

I also have an upper weight limit that is my intervention point. More rigorous about that in the cycling months but happy to drift up a bit in winter and lose a few pounds again in Spring. I don't see maintenance as necessarily a flat line.

Typically my intervention is just making lower calorie choices or nibbling a few hundred calories off my calorie balance here or there. Might be food substitutions, skipping breakfast (easy for me), not fuelling some of my bike rides (easy way for me to trim off 1000 cals on odd days). I never go into "diet mode" though, pretty relaxed on getting back in range slowly. For me it's the trend that matters. Notice I'm using the word easy - meaning easy for me, knowing yourself (strengths and weaknesses) is very important.

@kommodevaran
    I'm perhaps a bit of an anomaly in that I eat more at maintenance compared to when I was a chubster as now I'm semi retired I'm more active and have more time to enjoy my exercise. Long term maintenance has to take change into account.

"....but also that it is for life, so it better be good." - Agreed, I really enjoy maintenance and I think that's important to long term success, I enjoy my food, my exercise and living in a healthy body.

Why would someone flag this post? I found it informative and helpful...

Fat fingers on a phone, etc? Just keep in mind they are just subjective no verbal remarks and carry no objective scientific meaning but perhaps cuts down on stress causing remarks that can close threads which cost moderators time out of their busy lives.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I lost 89lbs total and am coming up on nine years in maintenance. But, it was the only time I was ever obese in my life. I’ve been overweight over the years but would usually snap myself to. A lot of reasons came into play creating the perfect storm to eat my way up to 235+ pounds and stuck around for a couple of years. Once those started to resolve I set my mind to losing the weight and just have never looked back. So my answer to your question is, I really don’t know.

I go through stages of logging diligently with few exceptions (birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Vacation) and stages where I just keep an eye on things. Right now I’m weighing my food but not logging. What I have been consistent with is being aware of how much I put in my mouth and stepping on the scales regularly. If I see a rising trend I get my crap together. Getting as heavy as I did spooked me enough to never want to go there again so I do what I feel I need to do based on what’s happening. Sometimes that’s logging for long periods of time. It’s pretty much second nature at this point.

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options

I fall in this boat, I log just for fun because it helps me with meal planning and I like hearing how all my friends on here are doing so i'm on anyways. I didn't have much weight to lose, and I was always in a normal BMI range. I have never in my life used a food scale, even when I was losing weight. How I eyeballed my portions was I fell back on my childhood, I remembered what a serving my mom would give me looked like. I gave myself servings based off of what my parents taught me a normal serving should look like, and I used other tips and tricks I picked up along the way...I remember in kindergarten I had a gym teacher who told me when it comes to pasta one serving for you should look like the palm of your hand. I've also always had a good grip on hunger cues, and I love veggies, fruits, and lean meats. Sweets have always been my weakness though I know how much is too much.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I tried logging in maintenance, but I found it very mind consuming (not time consuming), I was still frequently thinking about calories and how many calories I had already eaten and how many I was "allowed", basically I developed an unhealthy relationship with food for maintenance. I started eating to hunger, but like a PP keeping it to 3 meals and defined snack times. Eating serving size portions when I do eat something. I'm keeping an eye on my weight, I participate in two weekly log in threads and use a trending app (Libra) and weigh daily. If I start seeing a trend to the upper end of my goal range (which is 3lbs +/-, 7lb range) I'll reevaluate, but so far I'm holding steady in my range and keeping my trend dead where I want it.

I lead a very active lifestyle and lift weights at least twice a week. I'm 5'0" and when I was logging and trying maintenance, I was still losing at 2100+ calories. I estimate based on my results at 2100 that I need to eat closer to 2300-2500. That seems like a lot, but I'm also breastfeeding my 1 year old still. And I know I was actively losing at 2100 calories (I lose 5lbs in my first month of maintenance {logging 2100}).
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I lost about 35lbs. From barely into the "obese" BMI range to the "healthy" BMI range, so the full range of "overweight" BMI.

I was happily maintaining my 156lb weight before I decided to lose it, I wasn't gaining and that was a weight I'd been at for years, sprinkle a few pregnancies in there. I had horrible eating habits, but I wasn't gaining. I did have the benefit of breastfeeding burning additional calories.

I'm also scared to regain. Using Libra and keeping an eye on my trend line helps. I was getting unhealthily obsessed with calories when I was first in maintenance, but still losing.