Tips to maintain without daily tracking for the rest of my life, please?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I would be very curious to know from those of you that don't log any more how much weight you lost. I'm curious if you lost smaller amounts and therefore already had better eating habits than those of us who lost large amounts. Personally I still log and have been in maintenance about a year. I'm scared to death to regain. Am I just paranoid or am I more likely to regain?

40 Lbs...my eating habits were never particularly bad, though I didn't get enough veg and fruit (I do now). I've never really been an emotional or stress eater or binge type of person...always have been pretty much a three squares a day kinda guy with maybe a couple snacks thrown in the afternoon.

My issue was namely that I went from being very active to taking a desk job and working 10-12 hour days when I was 30...before that, I never had any weight issues...competitive track and field sprinter most of my young life...Marine Corps and then college where I didn't own a vehicle for much of that time and walked and biked everywhere and hobbies included hiking, Ultimate Frisbee, and Disc Gold...

My weight crept up slowly over the course of about 8 years sitting at a desk...about 45-50 Lbs over 8 years.
  • lollitakennedy
    lollitakennedy Posts: 33 Member
    I have read all the post so I can be ready for the future when I am at my goal. The only thing I would change is my window of lbs gained before I would get back on track. I would she 3lbs as a marker. I look at that as 2 lbs is water and 3lbs is a lb of fat gained. Letting it get to even 5 lbs weight gain is really hard to take off.
  • Winterbaby2014
    Winterbaby2014 Posts: 29 Member
    It may not work for some, but I used to do intermittent fasting. There are many 'programs' out there, and all revolves around one thing. Calorie intake.

I would do it the '5:2' way. So 5 days of the week I eat 'normally' (still kinda watching what I eat, but if I eat a couple of chocolate bars not the end of the world), and then the other two you eat 500 calories, or 600 for men. On the deficit days you can choose how you want those calories- do you want to eat salad all day long, do one owant one nice dinner, you get the jist.

This worked for me as I only had to really think about being healthy for 2 days of the week
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    Being able to easily copy and paste a recipe into MFP and track it was life-changing. I love to cook, so I can see logging forever, since it means I can cook and eat whatever I or my family want to eat.
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I wish I could help. Every time I stop logging my weight creeps up. After many, many years, it’s pretty effortless to log. I wish i had better intuitive earring skills, but I just don’t.

+1
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    lbryans929 wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I wish I could help. Every time I stop logging my weight creeps up. After many, many years, it’s pretty effortless to log. I wish i had better intuitive earring skills, but I just don’t.

+1

another +1
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Even on weekends I don't log very accurately and I "think" I'm eating less, but my weight always goes up a pound or two by Monday. Not logging doesn't work for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Even on weekends I don't log very accurately and I "think" I'm eating less, but my weight always goes up a pound or two by Monday. Not logging doesn't work for me.

I'm more loosey goosey on the weekend..my weight usually goes up a couple pounds on Monday...it's water weight, it isn't fat. Body weight fluctuates and people regularly mistake normal weight fluctuations or fluctuations caused by more sodium, etc to be actual weight gain (or loss) and it isn't.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    a PORTION is roughly the size of the palm of your hand .
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    @sgt1372, I am sorry you think so many of us, including me, are dishonest because there is no way to verify that we can maintain our weight without logging out food and weighing ourselves at regular intervals.

You shouldn't have, but have, upset me more than a stranger, though I thought I was familiar with you, on the net should.

I have sat for more than half an hour thinking of a rebuttal, and wondering if pictures would satisfy you, but in the end, I decided there is no need for me to justify myself.

Believe me a liar if you wish. I'm not.

Cheers, h.
    (Sorry for the minor rant folks, not used to my word being called into question)

I didn't take it that way. I failed one or two times after stopping logging but that red line brought me back to logging again. I'd try again and if I failed, I'd log again.

I think that's what Sgt meant, is that logging everything and using MFP as your CICO calculator is a lot more practical and exacting than what I do, for instance. And he may have a point. But for me, the freedom of knowing that over 3/4 years of logging, habits became so entrenched, that I don't have to log any longer is liberating.

I still log weight changes, BTW. I just logged one today (up to 192!). My red line is 195, so I'm up a bit. Likely the last two days of Gluten Free Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs. I've eaten a bit like a pig. I'm also bulking up a bit now, so I'll forgive myself.

We all got fat (if we were fat/obese at one point) through habits, in my humble opinion. Change those habits and replace them with healthier habits and the "work" of weight loss becomes life. My habits were changed one at a time and very slowly with a lot of mistakes along the way. All I think Sgt meant is are all those little mistakes worth derailing your weight loss success? For some, they might risk reverting back to old habits. That's where I think having that red line where you absolutely go back to logging is helpful. I fear that red line because I like the freedom I have now and, quite frankly, after six years of hard work, I earned it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Good habits. Once you have good habits, logging is superfluous.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    What got me in trouble the last time was not weighing myself on a regular basis until it was so bad that my clothes didn't fit anymore. That's what I plan to do when I get to goal weight the next time is weigh myself at least once a week.

yes, me too. I gained 25 lbs over the winter last year, now have lost it and I am weighing every day and logging but especially weighing.