Tips to maintain without daily tracking for the rest of my life, please?

Options
I've gotten to goal multiple times over the years, and I tracked for almost a year straight. I stopped tracking and after a while slowly gained weight back. I got up to 10 lbs over goal this time so I came back to MFP and I've lost 2 lbs so far this time. Losing is pretty easy for me, as long as my mindset is right. I'm hoping there's a mindset I need to adopt for maintenance that will make it possible to manage my weight without tracking long term. Has anyone had luck with this?

I'm on medications that cause weight gain, and they may contribute some, but I know they aren't fully to blame.

I'm 5'3" and I maintain at 1500 - 1600 calories. My goal weight is 118.

I'm open to any friend requests from females, also. I could use some support.

Replies

• slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Meal plans!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Would you be open to logging in maintenance for a few months, until you have the hang of it, and then seeing what happens when you stop logging and just try to follow that pattern? I personally have continued logging, but I can imagine that if you established a good pattern and then just followed the scale, it might work for you.
  • Suhrah623
    Suhrah623 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been maintaining my weight for about 1 3/4 years and not tracking food. I run 4 days a week (about 20-25 miles a week).
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Tallawah_ wrote: »
    Given that you know logging works maybe the question should be 'tips for logging easily'. Once you've got your digital scales (with a tare function) and entered your typical food items if it takes you more than an additional five minutes you're doing something wrong...

I try not to be anal about it, life's too short...if it's too complicated one day for some reason I either guesstimate or just miss it out and move on to the next day.

^^^ Pretty much this

When weight creep happens, it's usually because I've a few too many of those "complicated" days. The good thing about all this is that the process never changes. The skills and habits for using the food scales and at least knowing approximate portions are easy to tighten up on.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I hate to be repetitive, but I'm going to be. I like logging. It works well for me. My husband can't do it. He has needed to loose weight (60 pounds) for years. He had been a yo yo dieter and it never stuck. He also can't stick with MFP to save his life.

When my doctor put me on the Whole 30 plan in May for health reasons, he joined in. It's basically paleo: you drop alcohol, dairy, sweeteners, grains, and legumes. After 30 days we added back alcohol. NO WEIGHING OR CALORIE COUNTING ALLOWED. (I cheated and kept logging and weighing because that's what I do. He didn't.) We liked it so much we basically have stayed on the diet (plus alcohol) since.

He has lost 25 pounds without tracking and without hunger. He's still dropping.

If you don't want to track you have to modify your diet in a sustainable way. We found this sustainable and easy (we recently added back some rice occasionally and I'll treat myself to ice cream or bakery once in a while when I feel like it). It's been delicious.

* P.S. I also dropped the weight I needed to lose to get back in my zone and my calories didn't even change.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't log and have not during my recent weight loss journey. I did log for a long time and it just didn't work for me. It turned eating into a chore I realize that is not the case with most people.

However, I do find it helpful that I have logged, because I know the calories of most every single food item I eat

So now, I know what to eat and what not to eat.. and I don't kid myself. I also have rules for my healthy life. No fried foods, no sugar or desserts in the house, I don't use butter at home. I drizzle olive oil carefully from the cap so it is a small amount.

I know what healthy portions of meat should look like.. I eat carbs all the time in the form of potatoes and rice, but keep it to a half cup. I do have a food scale on my counter, and I check the weight of my food all the time.

This works for me, makes me feel free..but I don't eat freely. :)

Pretty much all of this for me. Except the not keeping sugar and desserts in the house. I still eat plenty of those. But I'm mindful about what my main meals consist of and keep a running tally of my daily protein intake in my head. If I hadn't weighed and logged for a while I wouldn't be able to do that. It was very eye opening for me, but I'm glad I don't have to keep it up.