Body changes in age 30 s

2»

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'm 30. My body looks different my mid-twenties to thirty because I had 3 children in that time frame. I am in better shape than I was in my late teens and early twenties though. I weigh more than I did at 18 (120 vs 115) but I am smaller (in clothes), so I'm probably more muscular.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    My body composition changed for the worse in my 30s but that was because I went from being very active to much more sedentary. At 44, my body composition is far and away better than it was in my 30s.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Ive noticed my body composition changing for the better/ but I’ve worked at it.

I am in better shape in my 30s then I was in my 20s.

Of course- I take better care of myself now and eat healthier. Luckily I haven’t had any problems with weight loss, etc. I think it’s a myth about metabolism slowing, etc - within my circle of friends are a bunch of 40s/50s hotties that work out and look great. Of course, you get out what you put in!

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Morty90210 wrote: »
    Yes I feel like I have to starve to maintain my weight and I exercise everyday 😣

Well that doesn't sound right at all. Are you healthy? If so, there's no reason it should be difficult to lose or maintain your weight at that age. If you share your stats maybe everyone here could help you out so that you're not miserable.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Sure my body took a big swing in my 30's.

It had nothing to do with my actual age though.

It had everything to do with the simple facts that in my 20's I was far more active - my jobs were lower paying, entry level and/or physical jobs that had me on my feet, my hobbies were all outdoors, I hiked around a college campus, and even bar crawls with friends would end up involving several miles of walking. I didn't have to think about activity, it was a part of life. Add in some sports and training for those, and my weight wasn't an issue, and I was slim and trim and could eat what I felt like.

Then, in my 30's that all changed. I moved to more and more professional jobs, which had me sitting more and more until my entire workday is spent in front of a computer. Rather than walking or biking, I drove to my job's parking area or took public transit - unlike in college where there would still be miles of hiking from one class to the next, instead it was a walk from my car to my desk where I sat for the next 8-10 hours. Sports became less frequent and more expensive, bills got bigger, more work, less activity, more stress. Stress meant by the time work was done, I was beat and cooking dinner was the extent of my ambition. Even little things like getting ready for work - in college and my 20's jobs, I could get away with jeans and a tee, and didn't need to do makeup, hair, and wear nice clothes unless I wanted to. Add in 5 hours a week now just being spent on getting ready for work, when that was more like less than 2 hours back then.

Wasn't used to having to make "time" for activity as it was just a part of my life. But reality was, as time went by, I got significantly less active, and didn't adjust my eating or my planned activity to compensate.

Working to remedy that now that I'm starting my 40's, and realizing just how inactive I had become.....gym and working out was great, but that didn't make up for the lack of activity in the rest of my life. Trying to find some more permanent remedies for those things now that I've realized the problem it is.
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice your body composition changes in your late 20's and 30's? I feel like my body quits losing weight at a certain point and feel my stomach is flabbier despite lifting weights etc...😣 my size in clothes is differ ent too even without really gaining much weight. Anyone else?

Late 20s, early 30s? :flowerforyou: Aww, you kids say the darnedest things! ;)

Seriously: 30-something is good time for a wake-up call. I wish I'd been smart enough to get on a healthier track at that age, rather than waiting until my mid-40s to become routinely active, and until 59-60 to lose weight from obese back to what I weighed in my 20s. Your future self's health, independence, well-being and happiness depend on what you do now.

Usually, what changes in our late 20s to early 30s is our basic lifestyle: We move less in daily life, and often are less "go for it" in workouts. We start having a social life more focused around sitting, watching stuff (TV, movies, live sports or music, whatever) and eating/drinking. We get "better" jobs, with less movement and more sitting in them than the jobs we had earlier. If we have better incomes, we start buying conveniences, and hiring services done that we once would've done ourselves. All this stuff adds up . . . probably to at least a few hundred calories a day less daily life movement, for many people.

If I can make big changes at 60, you can make big changes at 30-something. Maybe you can avoid some of the later-life problems I didn't avoid (cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint problems - all but the last now history, thankfully) not to mention some I have avoided so far but same-age friends haven't (diabetes, joint replacements, too weak/impaired to do some household chores, and more).

When I was your age, I didn't really think through the possibility that I'd actually live this long - 63 in November. If you do live at least that long, buckle up, it's going to be an interesting ride!

And sincere best wishes, truly, from an MFP granny-type. :)

You’re the best, you know? I love everything you say.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    GoodLardy wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice your body composition changes in your late 20's and 30's? I feel like my body quits losing weight at a certain point and feel my stomach is flabbier despite lifting weights etc...😣 my size in clothes is differ ent too even without really gaining much weight. Anyone else?

Late 20s, early 30s? :flowerforyou: Aww, you kids say the darnedest things! ;)

Seriously: 30-something is good time for a wake-up call. I wish I'd been smart enough to get on a healthier track at that age, rather than waiting until my mid-40s to become routinely active, and until 59-60 to lose weight from obese back to what I weighed in my 20s. Your future self's health, independence, well-being and happiness depend on what you do now.

Usually, what changes in our late 20s to early 30s is our basic lifestyle: We move less in daily life, and often are less "go for it" in workouts. We start having a social life more focused around sitting, watching stuff (TV, movies, live sports or music, whatever) and eating/drinking. We get "better" jobs, with less movement and more sitting in them than the jobs we had earlier. If we have better incomes, we start buying conveniences, and hiring services done that we once would've done ourselves. All this stuff adds up . . . probably to at least a few hundred calories a day less daily life movement, for many people.

If I can make big changes at 60, you can make big changes at 30-something. Maybe you can avoid some of the later-life problems I didn't avoid (cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint problems - all but the last now history, thankfully) not to mention some I have avoided so far but same-age friends haven't (diabetes, joint replacements, too weak/impaired to do some household chores, and more).

When I was your age, I didn't really think through the possibility that I'd actually live this long - 63 in November. If you do live at least that long, buckle up, it's going to be an interesting ride!

And sincere best wishes, truly, from an MFP granny-type. :)

You’re the best, you know? I love everything you say.

That's so sweet of you to say: Thank you! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    It is harder to lose weight as I have gotten into my 30s.

wait until you get into your 40s lol I know for me it was easier in my late 30s than it is in my 40s and Im more active now
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I'm more in shape at 42 than I was EVER in my younger years so, no, I see the opposite. I've also had two kids in the last three years and although that kinda changed me shape-wise I don't think it has anything to do with age.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I'm 41 and have been in the best shape of my life. Age is an excuse, however the longer you wait the more difficult it may become.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    weight gain with age is more-so due to decreased activity, and therefore, decreased muscle mass. But I also think as we get older things start to sag which doesn't help.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    I'm loving most of these answers!
    My family is convinced that when one of us turns 35 they gain a bunch of weight and they'll be overweight the rest of their lives and there's nothing we can do about it because it's in our genetics.

I'm about to turn 34 and I can't wait to prove them wrong in the next couple of years.

@Asher_Ethan 🙌🏻🏋🏼‍♀️ Yes!! You can do it!