Need Some Advice On Cadence

Options
13»

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    We need to run sometime @OldAssDude. You're not too far north of me. If you ever get to the Harrisburg area look me up.

I may be up your way next year to run Steamtown (if I don't run Chicago).

Yeah @dewd2 , that would be fun, I wish we lived closer. We both know it would be a short recovery run for you and a long intense workout for me though... :)

If you ever happen to be in the Tyler State Park area, give me a heads up. I do see groups of people that run there together some times. Maybe i should search for some "old timer" running groups that go there. :)

And thank you for all your support.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    One note - targeting a higher cadence is not a direct means to running faster or for longer. It's simply a way to help minimize impact to your joints. It's injury prevention instead of performance enhancement.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    One note - targeting a higher cadence is not a direct means to running faster or for longer. It's simply a way to help minimize impact to your joints. It's injury prevention instead of performance enhancement.

Good point, but i am thinking a higher number of lower impacts will work out to be about the same as a lower number of higher impacts.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

Good point, but i am thinking a higher number of lower impacts will work out to be about the same as a lower number of higher impacts.

I always heard it as correcting for overstriding. Hard to overstride when running 180 bpm. And overstriding is what leads to injury (or at least that is my understanding).

I find as long as I'm 165+ I don't overstride so I stopped being too concerned with it. I was concerned at one point and tried for 180 but it feels awkward to me. I'm normall right around 170 and that feels good.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    You remind me of me sometimes. I'm a science guy so I love the data and the metrics - but - don't let it ruin the fun and the end goal. I want to be more fit, less fat, and enjoy life. Running helps me do that. I'm not fast. I never was. I'm 57. I've lost 74 pounds. Last January I couldn't run across the room. Last Saturday I ran 9 miles.

Here's a question. Can you imagine running without your Garmin? Riding your bike without a bike computer? Running or riding just for the heck of it? Just because it's fun and good for you?

I've had to remind myself to do that sometimes.

I know in a different thread you mentioned how you "trained" yourself to visualize what a healthy serving looked like in order to wean yourself off of logging meals. That's a valid viewpoint and outlook. Think about running similarly. Maybe wean yourself away from all the data and just - run. If you feel good run fast. When you're struggling go slowly. Smell the roses. Stop during a run to take a picture of the sunrise (or whatever). Enjoy the exercise...

I'm just offering this as something to think about. I overthink things as well. As to the original question - I find a faster cadence is easier on my old body. I usually run the first couple of miles between 155 and 165 until I warm up. Then I usually fall into a cadence of about 170 to 175. I might have a max cadence of 185 on a run.
  • OldAssDude
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You remind me of me sometimes. I'm a science guy so I love the data and the metrics - but - don't let it ruin the fun and the end goal. I want to be more fit, less fat, and enjoy life. Running helps me do that. I'm not fast. I never was. I'm 57. I've lost 74 pounds. Last January I couldn't run across the room. Last Saturday I ran 9 miles.

Great progress!

Here's a question. Can you imagine running without your Garmin? Riding your bike without a bike computer? Running or riding just for the heck of it? Just because it's fun and good for you?

I've had to remind myself to do that sometimes.

i never go without wearing my fitness device (currently a Garmin). I have recorded every activity since 2015, and right now i'm on my 3rd 60 day streak with at least 10,000 steps a day. I do at least 1 activity a day, 7 days a week, and so far this year i only missed 2 days. I love the data, but the data is not the problem. The problem is all the crap i read on the internet about running form that makes me think i'm doing everything wrong. I get too caught up in that stuff and it makes me exert more energy and have less fun. The link that @dewd2 posted made me realize that i should just do what feels natural. I did that for may last 2 runs and it was fun and felt good. Sure i check my data as i'm running, but that's just for reference and to monitor my progress.

I know in a different thread you mentioned how you "trained" yourself to visualize what a healthy serving looked like in order to wean yourself off of logging meals. That's a valid viewpoint and outlook. Think about running similarly. Maybe wean yourself away from all the data and just - run. If you feel good run fast. When you're struggling go slowly. Smell the roses. Stop during a run to take a picture of the sunrise (or whatever). Enjoy the exercise...

Yeah. I'm just going to do what feels good. The only thing i need to worry about is keeping a good posture and striking center mass. I don't care how fast i am or how high my cadence is any more.

I'm just offering this as something to think about. I overthink things as well. As to the original question - I find a faster cadence is easier on my old body. I usually run the first couple of miles between 155 and 165 until I warm up. Then I usually fall into a cadence of about 170 to 175. I might have a max cadence of 185 on a run.

When i run slow i hit about 150 to 160 and when i do intervals and run faster on the run intervals i hit 180 no problem. I just got caught up in all the stuff i read that you should run at 180 even if you run slow.

Thanks for the feed back.
  • OldAssDude
    Options

Hahaha!

That was awesome.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Wanted to thank you for posting this. Beyond the article, I've bookmarked the site and will read there.

Saw one comment that I like.

"If you are a new runner, you can and should ignore virtually everything you see, hear, and read about running. "
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

Wanted to thank you for posting this. Beyond the article, I've bookmarked the site and will read there.

"If you are a new runner, you can and should ignore virtually everything you see, hear, and read about running. "

I really enjoy that website. It reminds us to take our health seriously, but remember to have fun. We're not olympic athletes - just folks trying to be fit. I really get a kick out of the motivational posters.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

I really enjoy that website. It reminds us to take our health seriously, but remember to have fun. We're not olympic athletes - just folks trying to be fit. I really get a kick out of the motivational posters.

Holy crap those are funny.

https://dumbrunner.com/posters
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

I see so many that I wish they actually sold. And I resemble a few just a little too much.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't think it works that way. Think of it more as probability for injury with each stride.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

I'd pick one to highlight but I dirty laughed at a lot.
  • picheakasha262
    picheakasha262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I run a 20 min 5K, and my Garmin constantly puts my cadence at 160-170
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'll throw on the Garmin foot pod when I'm starting up running again from either winter or sickness or lack of time, just to see where it's at.
    I don't set a screen to view it live, but on review will try to make some changes if it's too slow.
    And I do tend to be slower turnover if left to my own feeling, but I also know recovery is easier from less pounding with higher turnover, and once I've done desired level a few times - that level now feels right.

It's all what we get used to.

Like so many things with workouts - if the frequency and duration is pretty short, potential improvements really aren't going to matter much overall.
    But even if no where near pro level endurance or pace, if you are pushing your own limits they same as they are pushing theirs, and doing it often enough - I find making those changes does make a difference.

From treadmill testing I know the turn-over that results in lowest HR for any pace, showing a difference in efficiency.
    I know which pace appears to be most efficient, even if cardio system can't keep up totally at some point in the training.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying other turn-over's that may not "feel" as good as whatever is normally done - that other level could start to feel just as good, and be better - at the least for potential injury prevention.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I found the book I read last year (or maybe 2 years ago) that really put things in perspective for me. I highly recommend it.

k5atfyw3y741.jpg