Intermittent Fasting!

Options
Hi All,

So on a journey to lose 50lbs, and get back into shape after a ton of relationships weight. I started intermittent fasting 1 week ago.
Anyone else doing intermittent fasting? Any tips or tricks? Anyone doing exercise combo with intermittent fasting? Trying to decide if I should do the exercise In a fasted state or right at the end of my feast.

Replies

• wannabefitgirl25
    wannabefitgirl25 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing the 16:8 for 2 months now.
    My biggest tip is don’t use IF as an excuse to eat whatever you want because otherwise you won’t reap the benefits of weight loss, etc. Add me :)
  • Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am interested in trying this. Any tips I need to know to get started?
  • crystalearlywine2211
    Options
    I have been trying to do IF but have been having trouble.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I naturally fell into an eating pattern that's somewhere between IF and a 'normal' eating pattern when I started really paying attention and recognising some things about myself.

1. I usually wasn't very hungry in the morning.
    2. I was never hungry at lunchtime and the only reason I was eating lunch was because it was my "lunch break"
    3. No matter how much I ate during the day I was always ravenous at night at about 8pm. I could big breakfast, a huge lunch, snack all day and at night I'd be prowling for food.

So I made some adjustments:
    1. I just had a coffee (not negotiable :smile: ) and maybe a small snack in the morning (spoon full of cottage cheese or small tub of yogurt, maybe a piece of toast) which would more than satisfy me. This would account for about 15%-25% of my daily calories.
    2. Turned my "lunch break" into a "Walking break" and went for a walk instead of eating since I really wasn't hungry at all. This also had the added benefits of adding steps to my sedentary work situation as well as improving my headspace by getting me out of the office and into the fresh air for a while
    3. Had a big dinner at night when The Hunger hit and since I had 75%-85% of my daily calories left was able to eat when I was naturally hungry, feel satisfied and full and, most importantly, stick to my calorie target.

I guess you could call it a 12/12 eating pattern as I eat roughly every 12 hours (8am-ish and 8pm-ish).

That is unless I don't. Just because that how I 'normally' find myself eating doesn't mean I'm going to slavishly stick to it. If I find myself at a lunch (work function or whatnot) then I'll eat lunch and adjust my dinner/breakfast accordingly. I'm got gonna let some eating pattern dictate when I can and can't eat. I'm in charge not some 'Plan'
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I tried sea salt water ,16 hours fasting.so if you sleep for 8 no food for 8 I drink black coffee.lose weight fast.i do this 2 x a week.

Please stop. This is unhealthy and dangerous.

Not something I have tried but wonder what’s dangerous about salt water?
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    erjones11 wrote: »
    I tried sea salt water ,16 hours fasting.so if you sleep for 8 no food for 8 I drink black coffee.lose weight fast.i do this 2 x a week.

Please stop. This is unhealthy and dangerous.

Not something I have tried but wonder what’s dangerous about salt water?

It dehydrates you. Your body needs more water than is in the saltwater to remove the salt in the saltwater. That's why people die of dehydration at sea. Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink.

So why would someone drink it?
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't think when he wrote "sea salt water" he meant actual saltwater from the ocean (which of course would be too salty to consume) You can buy sea salt from the store and put a little bit into water to add electrolytes. There is nothing unhealthy about that.