The Maintenance Appreciation Thread

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I love this post! Maintenance is definitely something to be proud of.

I started losing in 2007 and hit my all-time lowest weight in 2015 (down about 140 from my heaviest). I have put on 16 lb since then. I do go up and down. Sometimes I feel like I've failed because I have not stayed at that magical lowest. But maintaining 120+ weight loss at ALL times for the past four years makes me feel very proud. In the past 2 months I've gone back down 3-5 lb and feel inordinately psyched yet again!

When I was losing, a lot of people commented on how slowly it was happening. MOST people in my life truly didn't even notice until I'd been working hard for years and lost about 80 lb. I know quite a few people who have quickly lost over 100 and put it back on just as quickly. I want to be the odd one out who keeps it off. So far, so good!

One of my favorite compliments is a friend saying "It seems like you have been skinny forever, I can barely remember that!" on seeing an old photo of me at size 26. It's not that I am skinny (still definitely a little overweight and curvy, and happy with it)...but I know what she meant, and it made me feel awesome.

What a great compliment! Congrats on maintaining for 4 years, that’s an amazing accomplishment indeed! :) I know when looking back at some of my old photos people will say that they don’t remember me being obese/overweight but I sure remember!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Love this thread. I’m in maintenance at the moment and it truly is like losing—just with more calories. I plan to hopefully maintain for a while and then maybe try for the last 5 pounds I’d ideally like to drop.
    I feel like maintenance is underrated (not on here, but in general) but I’ve never been in this position before and felt any sort of control, so what do I know! lol.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    I started my weight loss journey in 2011 with another online calorie count program until the site was terminated. My weight loss journey began in February 2011... and by November 2011 I was 35 pounds down and at goal weight. The previous site attempted to transition everyone to a new site which I didn't care for, so I stopped logging for about a year and regained 10 pounds. Came over to MFP in August 2017 but didn't get serious until October 2017. I, subsequently, lost the 10 pounds and was back in maintenance in January 2018. Technically, I've been at this for 7 years. I agree with all of you that maintaining is every bit as difficult as losing; and tracking or logging food is essential for continued success. I do participate monthly in the MFP Ultimate Accountability Challenge which you can search for under Community>Groups>Ultimate Accountability Challenge. It is a supportive group regardless of whether you are attempting to lose weight, maintain weight or gain weight. There are several maintainers in the group, including myself, with the same objective of leading a healthy lifestyle. The rules are simple and concise, no one dictates what you can or can't eat, and you decide for yourself what your daily exercise will be based on your own limitations. You might check it out here. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129035-ultimate-accountability-challenge-november-2018 I invite any of you who are interested to join us. Kind regards.
  • DougBobrow
    DougBobrow Posts: 9 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Yes! I had pointed out in my thread yesterday that I LITERALLY do not know one single person in real life that is going through this. I don’t have one friend, family member or co-worker that has lost 100#. My entire network of people are thin, normal, or slightly chubby - not one is obese. They all watched me lose the weight back in 2012 and gain it all back, so I think they’re even afraid to even engage.

Y’all are my life line. My only source of experienced losers (I mean that with love). The wise ones.
    Yes! I had pointed out in my thread yesterday that I LITERALLY do not know one single person in real life that is going through this. I don’t have one friend, family member or co-worker that has lost 100#. My entire network of people are thin, normal, or slightly chubby - not one is obese. They all watched me lose the weight back in 2012 and gain it all back, so I think they’re even afraid to even engage.

Y’all are my life line. My only source of experienced losers (I mean that with love). The wise ones.

You can do it! Keep up the good work!
  • Ssssss666666
    Ssssss666666 Posts: 560 Member
    For everyone who is maintaining during the holidays... YOU ARE AMAZING!!! It’s certainly not easy with all the family gatherings and good food to eat! And even if we do gain a few pounds, we know what it takes to get back to maintenance range weight! :p Keep fighting the good fight! :)

Ditto!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I hit my GW in March of 2017 so this will be my second holiday season maintaining. I got through Thanksgiving, and a party brunch that turned into a day last weekend. Got some other things coming up but I keep my eye on them and make sure it's not more than once or twice a week going moderately over. If I keep my eye on my fruit and veg intake and make sure to get those taken care of, there's less room for the rest anyway. Now I'm hitting up Universal Studios this weekend and intend to eat all three meals at the Three Broomsticks and sample whatever snacks I feel like. I do wonder if they'll let me take in a couple apples though? :D