Not losing weight - please help!

Options
Hi, I’m 23 years old, currently 94 kg. I started my weight loss journey in 2016 at 120 kg! I’m wanting to get down to 80 and then see how I progress :) I’m 5’4, I have around 1400-1500 calories a day.

I also exercise every night. I do two miles on my treadmill along with boxing on my punch bag. I’m desperate to lose weight. It just isn’t budging. One fact I can think of is that I absolutely don’t drink enough water. I’m trying to drink more though and hopefully this will help, I’m not sure if it has an effect on weight loss? I’ve read varying things! I have been stuck at this weight since last year really, fluctuating a few lbs here and there. I did get down to 88 kg last June but ended up gaining to over eating on holiday etc :(. I’ve been maintaining but I really want to lose the remaining lbs! I’ll take any advice onboard.

Thank you :)

Replies

• J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you aren't drinking enough water than you will retain water adding to your weight.

Are you weighing your food? Are your portions correct for what you are logging?

I would like to see your food diary.
  • xDramaQueen995x
    xDramaQueen995x Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything, and log religiously, no skipping, cheating, or forgetting? Start there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

I don’t use a scale actually! I’m going to start doing this. When I lost the weight initially I had never used one either, I just can’t think what’s changed minus maybe my water intake. I have been a bit bad lately with having some chocolate but I’ve fit it in to my daily cals etc. I’m going to try and cut back. I usually have a small Reeses cup which is around 35 cals and a handful of m&ms but it’s not a regular occurrence! I have heard to eat more cals too but I honestly don’t know :( my TDEE is around 2200 I think.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything, and log religiously, no skipping, cheating, or forgetting? Start there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

I don’t use a scale actually! I’m going to start doing this. When I lost the weight initially I had never used one either, I just can’t think what’s changed minus maybe my water intake. I have been a bit bad lately with having some chocolate but I’ve fit it in to my daily cals etc. I’m going to try and cut back. I usually have a small Reeses cup which is around 35 cals and a handful of m&ms but it’s not a regular occurrence! I have heard to eat more cals too but I honestly don’t know :( my TDEE is around 2200 I think.

Start with the scale and see what you find out.

^ and report back please.
  • xDramaQueen995x
    Options
    If you havent lost weight in a year then you are eating more than you think, simple. Dont worry, im not judging, i too was ‘on a diet’ for a year and got nowhere...i wasnt being honest with myself.

If you arent weighing your food then there is no possible way you could know that you are eating 1400 cals. You are eating much more than you think. Im half your weight and if i tried to live on 1400 a day i think id be tearing down the walls by day 2....

With your stats your BMR is gonna be more than 1400 and that is a minimum just to keep you alive if you were in a coma or in bed all day. So i hope you see what im getting at, if you were eating 1400 a day the weight would be flying off, and probably some hair and bone density loss to go with it from under fueling your body.

Drinking water has nothing to do with it so forget about that. You need to eat less than you burn, it’s as straight forward as that and you can eat whatever foods you like.

Good luck <3

PS. Get on amazon and order a digital scale and start weighing all your food TODAY :)

Thank you so much for not judging, I feel I do snack a lot from looking back at my diary! I do struggle to make up the calories that MFP gives me :( how much do you think I should be eating a day? I keep getting really high numbers from online calculators and I just don’t know! I really want to lose weight again so I’m open to anything! I’ll order one right now! I still live at home so it can be quite tricky, I usually have what my parents have but I’m gonna be making some changes. I need to start losing again! I’m so unhappy:( x
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Water drinking tip: Use a straw! It seriously makes a huge difference, I don’t know why but it does!

Also, definitely get a scale! It will make a huge difference. It’s a little annoying to use at first but once it becomes habit it’s no big deal and you really know what you are eating so you are more in control.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you havent lost weight in a year then you are eating more than you think, simple. Dont worry, im not judging, i too was ‘on a diet’ for a year and got nowhere...i wasnt being honest with myself.

If you arent weighing your food then there is no possible way you could know that you are eating 1400 cals. You are eating much more than you think. Im half your weight and if i tried to live on 1400 a day i think id be tearing down the walls by day 2....

With your stats your BMR is gonna be more than 1400 and that is a minimum just to keep you alive if you were in a coma or in bed all day. So i hope you see what im getting at, if you were eating 1400 a day the weight would be flying off, and probably some hair and bone density loss to go with it from under fueling your body.

Drinking water has nothing to do with it so forget about that. You need to eat less than you burn, it’s as straight forward as that and you can eat whatever foods you like.

Good luck <3

PS. Get on amazon and order a digital scale and start weighing all your food TODAY :)

Thank you so much for not judging, I feel I do snack a lot from looking back at my diary! I do struggle to make up the calories that MFP gives me :( how much do you think I should be eating a day? I keep getting really high numbers from online calculators and I just don’t know! I really want to lose weight again so I’m open to anything! I’ll order one right now! I still live at home so it can be quite tricky, I usually have what my parents have but I’m gonna be making some changes. I need to start losing again! I’m so unhappy:( x

How many calories did this website tell you to eat when you did the set-up?
  • xDramaQueen995x
    Options

Good luck <3

I started at 1200 a day when I first joined MFP and original lost weight. I’ve opened my diary now and I just looked back to 2016! The calculators online are saying 2,353 to lose one a week and 1,853 to lose two a week!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Good luck <3

I started at 1200 a day when I first joined MFP and original lost weight. I’ve opened my diary now and I just looked back to 2016! The calculators online are saying 2,353 to lose one a week and 1,853 to lose two a week!

I'm confused. What is your age/height/weight/activity level? Are those things different than 2012 (age obviously :p )?
  • xDramaQueen995x
    Options

Good luck <3

I'm confused. What is your age/height/weight/activity level? Are those things different than 2012 (age obviously :p )?

I’m 23, 5’4, I exercise every day! My Apple Watch says I burn around 500 cal a day so I’d say I’m quite active! I put moderate on the calculator!x
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Good luck <3

I’m 23, 5’4, I exercise every day! My Apple Watch says I burn around 500 cal a day so I’d say I’m quite active! I put moderate on the calculator!x

Are you including your exercise in that? MFP is asking for your activity level *outside* of intentional exercise.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Online calculators are usually TDEE calculation which include your exercise, MFP uses NEAT calculation to give you your daily burn not including intentional exercise.

That is important piece of data^^

Using scoobyworkshop, your BMR (the amount of calories you would need to maintain your weight if you were in a coma) is approximately 1742.

To maintain your current weight with your current activity (TDEE), you need approximately 2396 calories.

TDEE - 20% is approximately 1917 calories. Start there. After 4-6 weeks, if you are losing too quickly, eat more. If you are losing too slowly, eat less.

mpbtmcfko6zy.jpg

This is a great place to start.

I loved the fact that you took the scale advice as "not judging". You're already well ahead in your progress from other folks who are "doing everything right, but not losing weight". I would bet that for 80% or more of those that have had measureable success here, the food scale was the single biggest factor. It was for me. It is also the greatest tool you can have for maintenance too (and for gaining weight if you want to do that). It'll be your most valuable tool if you make it a habit. That habit will serve you long past your weight loss phase.
  • xDramaQueen995x
    Options
    Online calculators are usually TDEE calculation which include your exercise, MFP uses NEAT calculation to give you your daily burn not including intentional exercise.

Using scoobyworkshop, your BMR (the amount of calories you would need to maintain your weight if you were in a coma) is approximately 1742.

To maintain your current weight with your current activity (TDEE), you need approximately 2396 calories.

TDEE - 20% is approximately 1917 calories. Start there. After 4-6 weeks, if you are losing too quickly, eat more. If you are losing too slowly, eat less.

mpbtmcfko6zy.jpg

Thankyou so much for all your help, both of you!:) so should I eat 1917 then? I’m so bad at this, what kind of things would I be able to eat to make it up to that amount? At the moment I skip breakfast occasionally.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

mpbtmcfko6zy.jpg

Thankyou so much for all your help, both of you!:) so should I eat 1917 then? I’m so bad at this, what kind of things would I be able to eat to make it up to that amount? At the moment I skip breakfast occasionally.

Anything you like. If it's difficult then don't use typical "diet" foods like fat free or sugar free. So you're getting more calories without adding a lot of food.