• Rach0878
    Rach0878 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Rach0878 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has done carb cycling for fat loss and building lean muscle? I do HIIT workouts about 5 days a week (Body Boss Method). I've been sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and I'm not seeing a whole lot of results as far as fat loss. I naturally tend to stay away from too many carbs but I'm not super strict with it. I don't typically eat bread, potatoes and rice, but sometime incorporate a little into my dinners. I'm wondering if anyone can just tell me what to do without me having to pay hundreds of bucks for an online guide? Apparently no calorie counting is needed?? Do I just do every other day?? Thanks in advance!

Just out of curiousity, how many calories do you estimate you're burning in those HIIT workouts, and do you eat those calories back? People often seriously over-estimate HIIT calories. Also, HIIT is not usually the best bet for maintaining/building muscle, either.

Balanced nutrition is important for health, calories are key for fat loss, and carbs are irrelevant unless they affect your satiation or energy level (or you have a relevant, not very common, health condition).

I agree that you might benefit from considering recomposition. The thread that was mentioned is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Best wishes!

I honestly haven't been tracking the calories burned and I am not eating them back. I am eating carbs currently but here's my daily breakdown:

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

I have been definitely feeling weak, but I can't tell if I'm battling some type of cold which usually happens this time of year with the weather fluctuating and my allergies or if it's from eating so much less and carbs specifically. I have not strayed from my diet whatsoever. I do plan on incorporating weight training in between HIIT days but I can't afford a trainer and am just going by routines I found online.

that's not many calories, no wonder you feel weak

1200 Calories? Well I need to cut fat so if I eat any more than that I won't lose. I'm not at the point where I'm heavy weightlifting or anything just simply doing the HIIT workouts so far.

how long have you eaten 'more' and how much weight did you gain?

with your stats and activity level there is no way you're not in a deficit on more than 1200 cals.

I gained 15 lbs over an 8 month period and have maintained that gradual gain since then. Which is a lot for me. I'm 5'4" and have never really struggled with my weight until now. I'm sure age and hormones have something to do with that as well.

by eating how much per day?

Oh, I don't know, just eating what I felt like eating. I mean, I eat pretty reasonably healthy to begin with but probably endulged in too much pasta, sugar and beer more than I should have during that time.
  • Rach0878
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has done carb cycling for fat loss and building lean muscle? I do HIIT workouts about 5 days a week (Body Boss Method). I've been sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and I'm not seeing a whole lot of results as far as fat loss. I naturally tend to stay away from too many carbs but I'm not super strict with it. I don't typically eat bread, potatoes and rice, but sometime incorporate a little into my dinners. I'm wondering if anyone can just tell me what to do without me having to pay hundreds of bucks for an online guide? Apparently no calorie counting is needed?? Do I just do every other day?? Thanks in advance!

Just out of curiousity, how many calories do you estimate you're burning in those HIIT workouts, and do you eat those calories back? People often seriously over-estimate HIIT calories. Also, HIIT is not usually the best bet for maintaining/building muscle, either.

Balanced nutrition is important for health, calories are key for fat loss, and carbs are irrelevant unless they affect your satiation or energy level (or you have a relevant, not very common, health condition).

I agree that you might benefit from considering recomposition. The thread that was mentioned is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Best wishes!

I honestly haven't been tracking the calories burned and I am not eating them back. I am eating carbs currently but here's my daily breakdown:

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

I have been definitely feeling weak, but I can't tell if I'm battling some type of cold which usually happens this time of year with the weather fluctuating and my allergies or if it's from eating so much less and carbs specifically. I have not strayed from my diet whatsoever. I do plan on incorporating weight training in between HIIT days but I can't afford a trainer and am just going by routines I found online.

1200 Calories? Well I need to cut fat so if I eat any more than that I won't lose. I'm not at the point where I'm heavy weightlifting or anything just simply doing the HIIT workouts so far.

If you want to lose more fat vs muscle, then I would definitely consider adding weightlifting into your routine. HIIT is better than nothing, but it is not the most optimal for muscle retention especially since you are close to goal. Also losing too quickly is not a great idea, provided you are very accurate with your logging and eating 1200 cals.

Yea, I definitely am going to add weightlifting. I just need a good routine that is actually attainable at firsta and that I can accelerate at. I had an online coach for a brief time last year and felt like the meal plan and routine was a little advanced for me. I'm not training for competition....yet. Lol. I am extremely accurate with logging and do not ever go over 1200 cals.

Keep in mind you can retain water especially if you just started a new exercise, increased volume or intensity.

See this thread for a list of programs,
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Ok well make sure you are using a food scale to weigh all your food, 1200 is not a lot of calories for your stats.

How many calories should I be eating then to lose? I was told 1200!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Best wishes!

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

If you want to lose more fat vs muscle, then I would definitely consider adding weightlifting into your routine. HIIT is better than nothing, but it is not the most optimal for muscle retention especially since you are close to goal. Also losing too quickly is not a great idea, provided you are very accurate with your logging and eating 1200 cals.

Yea, I definitely am going to add weightlifting. I just need a good routine that is actually attainable at firsta and that I can accelerate at. I had an online coach for a brief time last year and felt like the meal plan and routine was a little advanced for me. I'm not training for competition....yet. Lol. I am extremely accurate with logging and do not ever go over 1200 cals.

Keep in mind you can retain water especially if you just started a new exercise, increased volume or intensity.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Ok well make sure you are using a food scale to weigh all your food, 1200 is not a lot of calories for your stats.

who told you 1200?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    1200 is the MINIMUM calories a female should be eating - and that is if she is old/sedentary/tiny...at your height/weight (I took a guess on age) - your maintenance is nearly 2000cal a day (factoring in working out 3-5 days a week) - https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=30&lbs=129&in=63&act=1.55&f=1

you are well within normal weight for your height - so focusing on recomp (losing fat/gaining muscle) may work better in the long run, but its a longer process
  • Rach0878
    Options

Best wishes!

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

who told you 1200?

A trainer at my gym...
  • Rach0878
    Options
    1200 is the MINIMUM calories a female should be eating - and that is if she is old/sedentary/tiny...at your height/weight (I took a guess on age) - your maintenance is nearly 2000cal a day (factoring in working out 3-5 days a week) - https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=30&lbs=129&in=63&act=1.55&f=1

you are well within normal weight for your height - so focusing on recomp (losing fat/gaining muscle) may work better in the long run, but its a longer process

This is awesome. I didn't even know about this. Thanks for saying I'm 30! Lol...actually I just turned 40 but I probably do look around 30...at least that's what I'm told. So I should eat 1800-1900 calories following the "maintain" macros, and add weightlifting to my workouts?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

This is awesome. I didn't even know about this. Thanks for saying I'm 30! Lol...actually I just turned 40 but I probably do look around 30...at least that's what I'm told. So I should eat 1800-1900 calories following the "maintain" macros, and add weightlifting to my workouts?

minimal change for a 40yo...https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=40&g=female&lbs=129&in=63&act=1.55&bf=&f=1

1900cal rather than 2000 - i personally would go for recomp, BUT you have to have patience - its not a quick journey - look to a program like stronglifts/ strongcurves/ wendler 5x5 as some progressive lifting programs to help you get started (a good trainer should be able to work you through the basic lifts/moves to make sure you are doing them properly)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I gained 15 lbs over an 8 month period and have maintained that gradual gain since then. Which is a lot for me. I'm 5'4" and have never really struggled with my weight until now. I'm sure age and hormones have something to do with that as well.

by eating how much per day?

Oh, I don't know, just eating what I felt like eating. I mean, I eat pretty reasonably healthy to begin with but probably endulged in too much pasta, sugar and beer more than I should have during that time.

You went between to fair extremes - eating what you want, healthy or not, without tracking, probably well over requirements, especially if you'd become accustomed to eating at a higher maintenance level. The 1200 and HIIT is just wearing you out, it makes me feel tired thinking about it. That trainer needs a poke in the eye.

OP, I'm delighted to see that you're considering upping calories and working on recomp: That should be a good plan with your stats. (Fatigue tends to slow weight loss anyway, if only because we rest more, and do less in daily life because we're tired!)

In addition - even though I know why people find it seductive - I'd also encourage you to consider moderating the HIIT **. HIIT tends to be more fatiguing than other options that have similar calorie expenditure (calorie burn from HIIT, and especially calories from the so-called afterburn, are pretty over-hyped). Furthermore, doing HIIT many days a week, or multiple consecutive days, is not an approach that athletes use for training, and I think they and their coaches know something about building/maintaining fitness. HIIT is mostly trumpeted by the "gee whiz" trendy part of the fitness blogosphere, and trainers who are its acolytes. (Those kinds of sources need us to hop on the latest bandwagon and switch routines with the trend, so that they have a continuing income stream! ;) )

You'd be better served by a sound, professionally-designed strength program (bodyweight intially, or weights from the get-go - good options discussed extensively in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you), plus a reasonable (more moderate) cardio routine that you enjoy. There are lots of free/cheap options. Big price tags are a danger sign.

If you're weight training, Body Boss on other days (between strength workouts) might be enough to hinder muscular recovery (that's needed for strength/muscle growth), but if you choose to do some form of cardiovascular HIIT, once or at most twice a week would be a practical maximum (zero times a week isn't a problem, either, if you don't need to improve VO2max for some reason).

At your size, your protein level seems reasonable; personally, I'd try to bump up the fats a little, maybe mid/high 50s, ideally with nuts, nut butter, avocados, olive oil, or other such good stuff - for my taste, you're on the lower end of adequate; and I assume you're at that low a carb level on purpose so I won't quibble at that (but will observe that some of us, and I'm one, find that low carb eating doesn't support our exercise energy level as well as a more balanced macro split does - but that's very individual). If the low carb level was pushed by your trainer, rather than something you pursued for concrete reasons of your own, you might want to experiment a bit with macro split to see what you personally find most satiating, energy-supporting, and easy to stick with. Good nutrition is important, but beyond that, any reasonable macro split is compatible with weight management.

BTW, I'm around your size (5'5"), and lost most of 50ish pounds on 1400-1600 plus all exercise calories (at age 59-60, while hypothyroid, even). I support your current idea of going to/near maintenance calories now to recomp (better plan!), but you should find that maintenance level experimentally by watching your weight over a few months - calculators give you estimates, not gospel.

** Footnote: The HIIT terminology is used in very diverse and sometimes questionably-accurate ways lately, because of the trendiness. There's nothing wrong with interval training (high, medium or even lower intensity), but daily high intensity anything is not the best plan for most people. Historically, HIIT referred primarily to a specific sort of very high heart rate but short duration training that has very specific athletic training purposes. These days, the HIIT terminology is used for lots of "go as hard as you think you can" workouts. "Go as hard as you can" every day, in every workout, using the same exercise modality every time, is not the best path to progress in fitness or performance for most people, regardless of whether that "HIIT" is traditional cardiovascular HIIT or not.

Best wishes!

Edited: typos
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    OP you are getting some awesome advice here, which you will hopefully take forward :)

Never take advice from that ‘trainer’ he/she has advised you to eat 1200 which is likely to be a little less than your BMR which is just the basic minumum that your body requires to keep you alive, nevermind keeping your bones, teeth, hair strong and giving you energy to do to your day to day activities.

No wonder you've felt weak... <3 best of luck to you and please enjoy eating much more!