Carb Cycling

Options
Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has done carb cycling for fat loss and building lean muscle? I do HIIT workouts about 5 days a week (Body Boss Method). I've been sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and I'm not seeing a whole lot of results as far as fat loss. I naturally tend to stay away from too many carbs but I'm not super strict with it. I don't typically eat bread, potatoes and rice, but sometime incorporate a little into my dinners. I'm wondering if anyone can just tell me what to do without me having to pay hundreds of bucks for an online guide? Apparently no calorie counting is needed?? Do I just do every other day?? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Rach0878
    Rach0878 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    you're not building any muscle on 1200 cals.

1200 cals has been for fat loss. I am ultimately looking to do both, but most importantly have been trying to lose extra fat first.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When you say fat loss and muscle building, you would be looking to maintain your weight to do both slowly over time. I would imagine 1200 is not maintenance unless you are very petite. What are your stats? If you want to lose weight, then you would be eating in a deficit looking to preserve muscle and lose fat. Are you doing any weight training? I am not familiar with the Body Boss program, but if it is just HIIT you want to incorporate some resistance training for most optimal results to retain or build muscle.

I do carb/calorie cycle in a deficit, I have low (<100g), medium (200g) and high (300+g) carb days. I find this helps my adherence and workout performance. But it is not necessary and can be a bit complicated if you are just starting out.

I would say you would still need to track calories (unless you are very calorie and macro aware which some people are).

If you are a good weight for your height, check out the recomp thread in the maintaining forum. If you have weight to lose, eat in a deficit, get adequate protein (~0.8-1g per lb goalweight minimum) and lift weights progressively.
  • Rach0878
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When you say fat loss and muscle building, you would be looking to maintain your weight to do both slowly over time. I would imagine 1200 is not maintenance unless you are very petite. What are your stats? If you want to lose weight, then you would be eating in a deficit looking to preserve muscle and lose fat. Are you doing any weight training? I am not familiar with the Body Boss program, but if it is just HIIT you want to incorporate some resistance training for most optimal results to retain or build muscle.

I do carb/calorie cycle in a deficit, I have low (<100g), medium (200g) and high (300+g) carb days. I find this helps my adherence and workout performance. But it is not necessary and can be a bit complicated if you are just starting out.

I would say you would still need to track calories (unless you are very calorie and macro aware which some people are).

If you are a good weight for your height, check out the recomp thread in the maintaining forum. If you have weight to lose, eat in a deficit, get adequate protein (~0.8-1g per lb goalweight minimum) and lift weights progressively.

I am 5'4" and 129 lbs. Mostly need to trim down my stomach, butt, thighs and arms. So everything...lol! I'm just completely lost I think about what I should be focused on nutritionally to lose the weight. I realize that muscle weighs more, but I'm not looking to bulk up at all, just want to see some definition again. The Body Boss program is only 12 weeks and then you can start it over again. There are some light weights involved and I do have a gym where I live so I have access to weights that I could incorporate outside of BBM. How should I eat in a deficit? I thought I was by only eating 1200 cals! Forgive me if I sound dumb, I'm just learning about all the programs there are out there and have no idea what's best for me.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Ok if you want to lose a bit of weight, that is fine, but you will need to eat less than you burn. Did you enter your stats into MFP? I would set it at a 0.5lb per week deficit and eat back at least some of your exercise calories. Make sure you are weighing and measuring all your food. Keep in mind the scale can jump up a bit due to water retention when you start a new exercise.

• Rach0878
    Options
    Rach0878 wrote: »

1200 cals has been for fat loss. I am ultimately looking to do both, but most importantly have been trying to lose extra fat first.

from the looks of your picture, you are already reasonably lean, so 1200 cals is probably not necessary at all, unless you're very short?

set MFP to lose 0.5 lb per week, eat adequate protein and do some strength/resistance training. if you enjoy hiit then that's fine for cardio just make sure you fuel it.

I'm actually about 10-15lbs heavier than that picture, it's old and I haven't updated it. I probably look similar with more fat around my belly and thighs. I'm 5'4" and 129 lbs. I rapidly gained 15lbs in about a year due to being very happy and lazy in a new relationship. haha. I'd like to lose that 15lbs eventually, but if I see a lot of positive results getting defined then I won't focus on the scale so much. Should I be staying away from carbs? fat? Not sure what's best...
  • sardelsa
    Options

from the looks of your picture, you are already reasonably lean, so 1200 cals is probably not necessary at all, unless you're very short?

set MFP to lose 0.5 lb per week, eat adequate protein and do some strength/resistance training. if you enjoy hiit then that's fine for cardio just make sure you fuel it.

I'm actually about 10-15lbs heavier than that picture, it's old and I haven't updated it. I probably look similar with more fat around my belly and thighs. I'm 5'4" and 129 lbs. I rapidly gained 15lbs in about a year due to being very happy and lazy in a new relationship. haha. I'd like to lose that 15lbs eventually, but if I see a lot of positive results getting defined then I won't focus on the scale so much. Should I be staying away from carbs? fat? Not sure what's best...
    What is best is a way of eating that makes you feel good and you can stick to. Don't have to stay away from anything, but you do want to ensure adequate nutrition and macros if your goal is to change your body composition. At least 0.8-1g protein per lb goalweight, 0.4g of fat per lb and you can fill the rest with carbs or whatever else.
  • Rach0878
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. You helped me a ton.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

There is no "best"... there is only sustainable or unsustainable. Don't overcomplicate it. Pick a way of eating that makes you feel good, that helps keep you on track with your calorie goal, that is reasonably balanced and nutritious, and that includes food you like.
  • Rach0878
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has done carb cycling for fat loss and building lean muscle? I do HIIT workouts about 5 days a week (Body Boss Method). I've been sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and I'm not seeing a whole lot of results as far as fat loss. I naturally tend to stay away from too many carbs but I'm not super strict with it. I don't typically eat bread, potatoes and rice, but sometime incorporate a little into my dinners. I'm wondering if anyone can just tell me what to do without me having to pay hundreds of bucks for an online guide? Apparently no calorie counting is needed?? Do I just do every other day?? Thanks in advance!

Just out of curiousity, how many calories do you estimate you're burning in those HIIT workouts, and do you eat those calories back? People often seriously over-estimate HIIT calories. Also, HIIT is not usually the best bet for maintaining/building muscle, either.

Balanced nutrition is important for health, calories are key for fat loss, and carbs are irrelevant unless they affect your satiation or energy level (or you have a relevant, not very common, health condition).

I agree that you might benefit from considering recomposition. The thread that was mentioned is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Best wishes!

I honestly haven't been tracking the calories burned and I am not eating them back. I am eating carbs currently but here's my daily breakdown:

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

I have been definitely feeling weak, but I can't tell if I'm battling some type of cold which usually happens this time of year with the weather fluctuating and my allergies or if it's from eating so much less and carbs specifically. I have not strayed from my diet whatsoever. I do plan on incorporating weight training in between HIIT days but I can't afford a trainer and am just going by routines I found online.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Just out of curiousity, how many calories do you estimate you're burning in those HIIT workouts, and do you eat those calories back? People often seriously over-estimate HIIT calories. Also, HIIT is not usually the best bet for maintaining/building muscle, either.

Balanced nutrition is important for health, calories are key for fat loss, and carbs are irrelevant unless they affect your satiation or energy level (or you have a relevant, not very common, health condition).

I agree that you might benefit from considering recomposition. The thread that was mentioned is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Best wishes!

I honestly haven't been tracking the calories burned and I am not eating them back. I am eating carbs currently but here's my daily breakdown:

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

I have been definitely feeling weak, but I can't tell if I'm battling some type of cold which usually happens this time of year with the weather fluctuating and my allergies or if it's from eating so much less and carbs specifically. I have not strayed from my diet whatsoever. I do plan on incorporating weight training in between HIIT days but I can't afford a trainer and am just going by routines I found online.

that's not many calories, no wonder you feel weak
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Best wishes!

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

1200 Calories? Well I need to cut fat so if I eat any more than that I won't lose. I'm not at the point where I'm heavy weightlifting or anything just simply doing the HIIT workouts so far.

how long have you eaten 'more' and how much weight did you gain?

with your stats and activity level there is no way you're not in a deficit on more than 1200 cals.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Best wishes!

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

1200 Calories? Well I need to cut fat so if I eat any more than that I won't lose. I'm not at the point where I'm heavy weightlifting or anything just simply doing the HIIT workouts so far.

If you want to lose more fat vs muscle, then I would definitely consider adding weightlifting into your routine. HIIT is better than nothing, but it is not the most optimal for muscle retention especially since you are close to goal. Also losing too quickly is not a great idea, provided you are very accurate with your logging and eating 1200 cals.
  • Rach0878
    Options

Best wishes!

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

with your stats and activity level there is no way you're not in a deficit on more than 1200 cals.

I gained 15 lbs over an 8 month period and have maintained that gradual gain since then. Which is a lot for me. I'm 5'4" and have never really struggled with my weight until now. I'm sure age and hormones have something to do with that as well.
  • Rach0878
    Options

Best wishes!

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

If you want to lose more fat vs muscle, then I would definitely consider adding weightlifting into your routine. HIIT is better than nothing, but it is not the most optimal for muscle retention especially since you are close to goal. Also losing too quickly is not a great idea, provided you are very accurate with your logging and eating 1200 cals.

Yea, I definitely am going to add weightlifting. I just need a good routine that is actually attainable at firsta and that I can accelerate at. I had an online coach for a brief time last year and felt like the meal plan and routine was a little advanced for me. I'm not training for competition....yet. Lol. I am extremely accurate with logging and do not ever go over 1200 cals.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Best wishes!

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

I gained 15 lbs over an 8 month period and have maintained that gradual gain since then. Which is a lot for me. I'm 5'4" and have never really struggled with my weight until now. I'm sure age and hormones have something to do with that as well.

by eating how much per day?
  • sardelsa
    Options

Best wishes!

Protein at least 121g
    Carbs 76g
    Fat 47g

Yea, I definitely am going to add weightlifting. I just need a good routine that is actually attainable at firsta and that I can accelerate at. I had an online coach for a brief time last year and felt like the meal plan and routine was a little advanced for me. I'm not training for competition....yet. Lol. I am extremely accurate with logging and do not ever go over 1200 cals.

Keep in mind you can retain water especially if you just started a new exercise, increased volume or intensity.

See this thread for a list of programs,
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Ok well make sure you are using a food scale to weigh all your food, 1200 is not a lot of calories for your stats.