Dark Cloud Of Doom Discussion

Options
13»

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    kinda wonder who among us would be the first to just go full Negan and start taking everybody else's stuff in order to survive

not me, my survival instinct is super low
    like survival impotence

we could carpool.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I think I'd have a big reality check.
    Honestly, I think I'd do poorly.

I'm a super picky vegetarian. After all the store rations were gone, assuming I could secure any, I guess I'd be eating grass and hopefully non toxic plants. Eating grass and plants would be a full time job, herbivores in nature basically eat all day long. Plus I'm in Canada, so I guess I'd have to head south for the winter.

I have little to trade, I don't have many possessions, what I did have I suppose I'd have to bring with me for my winter trek.

For real tho, I really can't imagine the levels people may go to in that situation. We are so used to convenience.

Farmers would become the wealthiest. Rich soil farmland would become the most expensive real estate.
    ...or would they? Is there a problem with the environment that is causing this famine?

Humans can't digest grass

I'd be seriously screwed then!
    ...wonder what it would take for me to start eating squirrels and bugs?

I'm a vegetarian, too and I've thought about this subject a few times here and there... I think there would have to be a pretty serious lack of consumable plants for me to start eating animals again. In that case, it would be an "extreme survival" type situation and not our comfortable modern society in which we're able to easily find and subsist off of a plant based diet. I think in that case I would have to value my own life and survival above theirs. I wouldn't love it, but if it kept me alive then "it is what it is".

So question for you, as a vegetarian.
    In the extreme survival type of situation what would you rather eat?
    Animals (which one in particular), insects or humans?
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I would do whatever to survive.

I would be OK. I do have some pretty good ninja survival skills (its just sometimes hard to implement them for me now). Did many survival courses while in the military (mountain, desert, winter, jungle, plains, woodland, and urban). The key is to remain unobtrusive (sneak and peek). Me and the family would do just fine. Know how to make many different types of shelters. Wife might have an issue with missing some of her TV shows (House Hunter). Dogs would be an asset as they just love to get squirrels and rabbits. Know how to hunt without firearms.

Vegetarians would most likely do better in a survival environment as they key toward plant resources instead of just animal. Plant resources are always more plentiful.
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    Options

I'm a super picky vegetarian. After all the store rations were gone, assuming I could secure any, I guess I'd be eating grass and hopefully non toxic plants. Eating grass and plants would be a full time job, herbivores in nature basically eat all day long. Plus I'm in Canada, so I guess I'd have to head south for the winter.

I have little to trade, I don't have many possessions, what I did have I suppose I'd have to bring with me for my winter trek.

For real tho, I really can't imagine the levels people may go to in that situation. We are so used to convenience.

Farmers would become the wealthiest. Rich soil farmland would become the most expensive real estate.
    ...or would they? Is there a problem with the environment that is causing this famine?

I'm a vegetarian, too and I've thought about this subject a few times here and there... I think there would have to be a pretty serious lack of consumable plants for me to start eating animals again. In that case, it would be an "extreme survival" type situation and not our comfortable modern society in which we're able to easily find and subsist off of a plant based diet. I think in that case I would have to value my own life and survival above theirs. I wouldn't love it, but if it kept me alive then "it is what it is".

Why eat any of them! Plenty of protein sources available heck you can eat nuts (even hickory nuts) or mushrooms) for protein. Mushrooms are easy to store or raise. Nuts replenish every year and can be stored. Easy peasy.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Mean_Spice wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I would do whatever to survive.

I would be OK. I do have some pretty good ninja survival skills (its just sometimes hard to implement them for me now). Did many survival courses while in the military (mountain, desert, winter, jungle, plains, woodland, and urban). The key is to remain unobtrusive (sneak and peek). Me and the family would do just fine. Know how to make many different types of shelters. Wife might have an issue with missing some of her TV shows (House Hunter). Dogs would be an asset as they just love to get squirrels and rabbits. Know how to hunt without firearms.

Vegetarians would most likely do better in a survival environment as they key toward plant resources instead of just animal. Plant resources are always more plentiful.

I was wondering what kind of ninja skills you meant. I have medical knowledge and life saving skills. Also, I dont need to eat much to survive since I am small. I have basic fishing skills and knowledge of wild plants. Also, I own a gun and can use it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I can grow plants, I used to breed meat animals, so assuming I can get some starter stock, I can go back to that...I can harvest things from the forest around me (acorns, kudzu, roots, berries, a few of the wild flowers are edible too)...I haven't ever made a small animal trap, but I do have a book with instructions, so in dire times I bet I would get pretty good at it and there is an abundant number of squirrels and rabbits in the woods...I do own a .22 and I do (in theory) know the kill zones for a deer, though I have never hunted them, I do know how to butcher them when they are dead.

Plus, I know how to make beer and wine and moonshine though I would likely need some additional equipment to do so, those are always highly valued for trade, even if they taste mostly terrible someone will want them.

Also, I know how to sew and make/repair clothing...both by machine and by hand, so another valuable trade skill.

I'm an herbalist and do grow some of my own herbs for teas and such (catnip, feverfew, lemon balm, etc) so that would probably be a valuable skill in a world where there isn't enough food people will get sick and need treatment.

I grew up camping, so I can cook just about anything in a skillet over an open fire, so if the electricity goes, I'm good with it.

I think I would do OK if the world descended into doom.
  • Vikka_V
    Options

Why eat any of them! Plenty of protein sources available heck you can eat nuts (even hickory nuts) or mushrooms) for protein. Mushrooms are easy to store or raise. Nuts replenish every year and can be stored. Easy peasy.

I didn't even think about nuts!

I was kinda going on the assumption that at some point all crops would be hard to come by and then that the land wouldn't support agriculture, but I guess at that point most of the animals would be dead too.
    So at the very end, is the last food source just bugs or people?
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    bojack5 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    People would eat sugar, carbs, gluten, animals, grain, Pixie Stix, Twinkies and smoked pork rinds and they would like it. No more food fear or food demonization.

I would eat people, and thrive.

Wouldn't you just start with squirrels and pigeons though and then maybe hop a barge to the South Pole where fish and penguins are plentiful?

No. I have no interest in frigid temps, and one person would feed more than dozebs of pigeons and squirrels.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    Well I definitely team up with @tcunbeliever that gal seems to have the necessities down.

That and my microbiologist brother...surely he can cultivate some bacteria and then find ways to engineer and evolve them...mutate them to something edible that would sustain us.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    why does everyone want to live soooo bad in every doomsday scenario like “i would eat roasted cockroaches and use my nun chucks to kill radioactive zombies”
    maybe we make peace with deaths inevitable cold grip and exit the worldly plane gracefully with good memories of a life with indoor plumbing and prepackaged snack foods

jeez i explain to to you the importance of having a digging trowel when you're out in the woods ONE time and here we are.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    why does everyone want to live soooo bad in every doomsday scenario like “i would eat roasted cockroaches and use my nun chucks to kill radioactive zombies”
    maybe we make peace with deaths inevitable cold grip and exit the physical plane gracefully with good memories of a life with indoor plumbing and prepackaged snack foods

Ahhh....i see my first meal :)
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    maybe we make peace with deaths inevitable cold grip and exit the physical plane gracefully with good memories of a life with indoor plumbing and prepackaged snack foods

I want to be miserable enough to want to lay down and die
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    maybe we make peace with deaths inevitable cold grip and exit the worldly plane gracefully with good memories of a life with indoor plumbing and prepackaged snack foods

jeez i explain to to you the importance of having a digging trowel when you're out in the woods ONE time and here we are.

just let me die in peace pls

Ima taking as many people down as I can on my way out.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing a situation like this would limit access to medication, so I'd probably die off in the second wave of deaths, after the oldest, poorest, and sickest go.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I'm guessing a situation like this would limit access to medication, so I'd probably die off in the second wave of deaths, after the oldest, poorest, and sickest go.

Wisest survives.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options

I would really need to brush up on my knowledge of edible wild plants, but like I said, there would have to be a pretty serious lack of consumable plants for me to think about eating animals. I love mushrooms but if you don't know your fungi species it can get tricky and dangerous. Nuts and seeds do pack a calorific wallop if you could find them, but a lot of the availability of edible plants in the first place to do with location... I'm lucky enough to live in a state with a lot of foliage and natural sources of potentially potable water, but I've also lived in the beach cities of California and the desert in Texas where, in their current ecological states, it may be harder to find food or clean water. In that case, if we were to assume that a person/group would try to migrate to another place with more resources, they would still need to find sources of subsistence on their journey, however long or short, and may have to take "drastic measures" to ensure their survival until they reach their destination and can return to their preferred (albeit new and perhaps less comfortable, given the doomy circumstances) diet and way of life.
  • danavelling
    danavelling Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I have a stocked pantry...and I garden and I could hunt if I had to. The first thing I’d do is design meals around what’s nutritionally needed versus wants. And portion would go to what is absolutely needed versus what our stomachs are capable of holding.