Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• Monk_E_Boy
    Monk_E_Boy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Monk_E_Boy wrote: »
    I’ve been doing IF (specifically One Meal A Day) for just shy of 4 months now. I’ve lost a little over 50 pounds so far, although I still have plenty to go.
    There is a TON of science behind why IF is so much more than simply a tool to help easily maintain a calorie deficit, although it definitely does that too.
    It’s all about baselining your insulin levels for extended periods of time to auto target your energy stores, and slowly adjust your body’s weight set point. It resolves insulin resistance, gives you more consistent energy throughout the day, makes workouts more effective (both in intensity level increases from higher levels of adrenaline, and in the fact that if you’re fasted, all the energy you’re using to do the workout is being pulled from your storage), and a slew of other benefits.
    Personally, I’ve been loving every minute of it.
    Good luck in your journey!

Please feel free to share any of the science in the form of studies on humans that you feel prove this point. Honestly, I think you may find it a challenge to find any.

The rest of your assertions are pretty much nonsense. It can help improve insulin sensitivity. It does nothing for improving workouts and energy substrate during workouts is immaterial. Fat loss is a factor of overall energy balance. Your post reads like you've read too many blogs and not enough evidence.

Here are two to get you started, let me know if you want more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2645638/
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try it. What’s the worst that could happen?
  • Monk_E_Boy
    Monk_E_Boy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    By the way: I believe the burden of proof to show that intermittent fasting does have the same effect as continuous eating lays on your side, not ours.

The most logic thing to assume is that when you do things differently you can't expect to get the same results.
    Therefore I would really be interested in studies that investigate this topic on humans and come to the conclusion that intermittent fasting (16/4, 20/4, 23/1, alternate day fasting etc.) do not create metabolic changes in human beings.
    @mmapags

Well the burden of proof is on those making the claims of benefit but, I'll play.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516560/

Ignoring the animal studies (because you said you wanted human ones), and any and all “modified fasting” scenarios (because that’s not what we’re talking about here), it seems like the study you provided is fairly clear on its opinion of IF:
    “It appears that almost any intermittent fasting regimen can result in some weight loss. Among the 13 intervention trials included in this review, 11 (84.6%) reported statistically significant weight loss ranging from 1.3% in a cross-over trial with a 2 week intervention23 to 8.0% in a 1-arm trial of 8 weeks duration.13”
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    By the way: I believe the burden of proof to show that intermittent fasting does have the same effect as continuous eating lays on your side, not ours.

The most logic thing to assume is that when you do things differently you can't expect to get the same results.
    Therefore I would really be interested in studies that investigate this topic on humans and come to the conclusion that intermittent fasting (16/4, 20/4, 23/1, alternate day fasting etc.) do not create metabolic changes in human beings.
    @mmapags

Well the burden of proof is on those making the claims of benefit but, I'll play.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516560/

Thank you. Appreciate it.
    In two of these studies, there was significantly reduced insulin concentrations
    The most recent of these reviews (2014) found that intermittent fasting regimens demonstrated 3–8% reductions in body weight after 3–24 weeks in comparison to energy restriction, which demonstrated 4–14% reductions in weight after 6–24 weeks.
    Results from these intervention trials of modified fasting regimens suggest that these eating patterns result in weight loss, with modest and mixed effects on glucoregulatory markers, lipids and inflammatory markers.
    Another cross-over study compared the effect of consuming one afternoon meal per day for 8 weeks and reported 4.1% weight loss in comparison to an isocaloric diet consumed as three meals per day

I mean... are you sure you want to use that study against intermittent fasting?

This is great. You guys are posting some studies I haven't read before. Everybody learns. Everybody wins.
  • lowcarbmale
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You completely misunderstood the MATADOR study. That proved that taking diet breaks (eating at maintenance) improved weight loss. It said nothing about fasting.
    That's what I say in my post. read it again.
    While this study does not apply directly to daily IF, it shows that there is a significant difference between just continously reducing calories to a low amount or mixing it up a little bit with strict fasting and maintenance phases.
  • lowcarbmale
    edited November 2018
    Options
    What's that bit about strict fasting in there for? The MATADOR study doesn't mention it.

The methology is explained in the paper. Losing more than 1 kg / week is pretty strict.