tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Carrrasco wrote: »
    I've been winging it but I don't know how to calculate my macros

See your other post.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    The low carb forum linked in the second post will give you all the information you need on macros. From what I understand they have a launchpad there full of information for people new to eating that way.

There's also a group for people specifically eating keto:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    Keep it simple at first. Meat and low carb veggies. Doesn't have to be anything complicated.
    Macros.. if you're still REALLY hungry, eat. Don't worry too much about going over calories. Just eat low carb options and stay under 20-25 NET carbs.
    Track everything!! You don't have to track forever, but it's a good idea to track at first just to get an idea of what you've been eating, what has carbs in it etc. Download a good macro tracker. Carb Manager is a decent one.
    Figure out your macros. Google it. Lots of info out there.

Mostly agree, but you don’t need to be THAT low on net carbs, especially not if you’re active. Going really low for the first few days can help you get into ketosis faster (and seriously: add sodium to keep your electrolytes up or you’ll feel like grim death). After that, though, you have more of a cushion when it comes to maintaining it. 10% of your calories from net carbs is a handy rule of thumb, which means even if you’re only eating 1200 cals/day you could have 30 net carbs. In a 2000-cal day, up to 50 should fit just fine.
  • Carrrasco
    Carrrasco Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried to join the group but I dont think I'm doing it right
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo I think this member is in need of some Keto-wisdom from you! :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Carrrasco wrote: »
    I tried to join the group but I dont think I'm doing it right

Once you hit join, you need to be approved. It might take a little while. Not sure who does the approving or when they are around.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You really shouldn't do this diet until you get a grasp. If done improperly, it can cause some issues, especially when it come to electrolyte. You can start by tailoring down on carbs until you hit sub 50g but also increase sodium to over 5000mg. I'd also work to get 1.5-2.2g/kg of protein (~20-30%) and let fats fall out. There is really no benefit of getting extra fat, so don't steive for fat goals. Protein amd carbs should be the concentration.

• vee090715
    vee090715 Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hello! I’m new to the Keto diet and I’m having a hard time getting getting to my fat goal. Any advise?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    vee090715 wrote: »
    Hello! I’m new to the Keto diet and I’m having a hard time getting getting to my fat goal. Any advise?

Fat is not really a goal that you must hit but you do want increased fat to compensate for the carb reduction. It also helps you feel full through the day. Breakfast is an easy place for me to get lots of fat. One tablespoon of MCT oil in my coffee to start. It is colorless and odorless. Bacon and sausage. Two eggs scrambled with heavy whipping cream and cheese in butter. Lunch a small salad with avocado cheese and some meat with a fatty dressing. Dinner is some type of fresh veggie roasted in olive oil and a meat.

It can be a little weird at first not going for a lean cut of meat in favor of a more marbled fatier cut. Same with ground beef, you want the higher percentage of fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You can try a TDEE keto calculator to help you start your macro goals:

https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Moat keto'ers start with carbs under 20-50g a day. Since there are 4 calories in a gram of carbs, that's somewhere below 80-200 calories a day, or usually 5-10% for a carb macro percentage.

Protein is moderate, but often towards the high side while losing. I would not restrict protein at all - it will help you to retain lean tissue. For a man, I would try to keep protein at LEAST 100+ g (or 400 calories - protein also has 4 calories per gram). Protein is often 20-35% of calories. If your diet is 2000 calories a day, then the lower end for protein intake of 100g is 400 calories or 20% of 2000 calories. (And you want to go with an appropriate calorie deficit, of course.)

Fat is the rest, and typically is 60-75% of all calories. There are 9 calories per gram of protein so if you eat 100g of fat, that is 900 calories.

Many keto'ers eat the same amount of protein and fat in grams - that's often a good balance.

As mentioned already, when you lower carbs you will need 3000-5000 mg sodium a day to replace the electrolytes you will lose with water weight (due to depleted glycogen and lower insulin levels). There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt. Some of us just eat half a teaspoon of salt with a water chaser a couple of times a day, others eat salty boullion or use salt tablets. Most salt their food liberally.

If you get headaches, fatigue, moodiness, brain fog, nausea, BM issues, muscle weakness and cramps, then you know you need more sodium.

The groups mentioned above are great for information too. The advice given up thread was all quite good too.

Good luck.

Unless a male is very small, 100g will probably be inadequate. For a female its fine. Most males seem to do well, from my experience and working with the numbers, at around 140-180g. This, along with lifting, will be optimal for muscle retention. But both components are needed to help sustain muscle mass.