Gym goals

Options
I've just joined a gym for the first time. What are some goals I could/should set for myself? Female, 33y, 162cm, 59.4kg, new to exercising.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What do you want to be able to do? Squat heavy? Run a 10k? Do a pull up?
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are doing. I run so my goals are all time and distance related. I do strength training 2-3x a week but my only goal there is to just help maintain muscle mass.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Work with a trainer or find a nice progressive training plan for beginners. Spend a session with a trainer to learn ALL the parts of the gym so you're not intimidated by things like the free weights.

Once you get going, having a longer term goal as mentioned above can help you stay focused once the initial "this is new and exciting" part wears off.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I find myself to be much more of a "class" person. I have trouble motivating myself when it's just me at the gym. Does your gym offer any group fitness classes? Something geared more towards beginners might be a good place to start.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    e_j_wilson wrote: »
    I've just joined a gym for the first time. What are some goals I could/should set for myself? Female, 33y, 162cm, 59.4kg, new to exercising.

Part of the answer lies in what caused you to join the gym at all.

In my experience, and observation of others at the gym I go to, newbies benefit very much with at least one or two sessions with a trainer in order to learn how to use the equipment properly. It's scary sometimes to watch some of the ill-considered moves that people can dream up. It's hard to stay motivated if you injure yourself because you weren't using the equipment correctly.

Most gyms will offer a free 1-hour session with a trainer, and I'd recommend this if available to you.

• TinyRaccoon19
    TinyRaccoon19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky because my gym buddy is a trainer. I've started going to a weekly bootcamp/circuit class. No other classes fit my work schedule. My reasons for joining the gym are to get fitter, stronger, and I wasn't making much progress with home workouts.
  • TinyRaccoon19
    TinyRaccoon19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Can anyone move this to the fitness section? I have no idea why it ended up here.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options

I'd focus first on identifying an activity/activities that you find inherently more fun. That's goal #1, because activities we enjoy (possibly even so much we'd do them even if they weren't good for us ;) ) are activities we'll actually do and look forward to, not dread and try to avoid. A theoretically less effective exercise you enjoy and actually do will improve fitness more than a theoretically perfect exercise that you skip at every opportunity.

Take advantage of any intro sessions/orientations your gym may offer to learn how to use various equipment, try out group classes if there are any, etc. Some gyms have a trainer assigned to monitor the training area, who are available to answer brief quesions you may have along the way.

With any activity, as long as you don't feel it's literally injuring you in some way, I'd encourage you to stick with a trial for several sessions, because it's normal to feel super awkward and incompetent at first (which is unpleasant), but after a bit you start getting a bit more comfortable/confident and can see whether you're going to enjoy it after the newbie blues wear off. Things that are easy from day 1 tend to get boring pretty fast, in my experience, so the things that will hold interest take a little "stick with it" investment up front. (BTW, with group classes, it's pretty normal to feel like others are watching and judging. Mostly, they're not: They were new once, and remember how it felt, and they're focused on their own workouts. Any who are judging are jerks whose opinions you need not care about, anyway. ;) )

If you take classes, go a little early, introduce yourself to the instructor, tell them you're new, ask for any tips, where it's best to stand (or whatever) during class, etc. Don't be afraid to position yourself where you can actually see the instructor, vs. trying to hide in the back. ;) (See previous paragraph note about how everyone there was new once.)

Once you find something(s) fun, start to think about challenging yourself to work on improving at it, and use that as your next goal. Just to give examples, if you're working with weights or weight machines, set goals about gradually and sensibly increasing weight or repetitions. If you're doing a dance-exercise thing like Zumba, think about increasing intensity or improving balance/coordination of complicated moves. If you're running or rowing or using the elliptical, think about gradually and manageably going a little faster or a little longer duration.

Throughout, I think it's important to increase challenge (i.e., set new goals that push you a little), but to do so gradually, and get enough rest and recovery for wherever your fitness level is at that time. You don't have to work out every day at crazy-high intensity from day 1! Exercise is supposed to be fun and energizing, not miserable and exhausting. If it's too fatiguing, we can even hinder our weight loss (if that's your goal), because we sit and rest more in daily life, and wipe out some daily life calorie burn by being less active outside our exercise sessions.

Best wishes finding something that's fun for you - there are so many options, and the sampling process can be pretty fun in itself!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can anyone move this to the fitness section? I have no idea why it ended up here.

If you flag your first post in the thread, select report and put in that you would like your thread moved, it will get seen much quicker by the mods.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I found at the gym I like group exercise classes and that I dislike the elliptical. I feel lukewarm about the treadmill (I'm a runner, so only use treadmill in a pinch or very cold weather).

I've never been brave enough to try free weights. I screw around with the pull up assist machine from time to time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Afterthought: If you want to change your body composition/appearance, the two threads linked below may also have some helpful information.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat