Is it worth it to weight train only 2 days a week?

I've been off and on with exercise and weight loss. I've managed to lose some weight mostly by diet changes with some intermittent amounts of exercise. I'm trying to get back in to weight training since when I was younger I found it effective to get in shape. I have a wacky work schedule so I figure the best I can do consistently is like 2 days a week and at times 3. I was going to alternate upper body/lower body+abs on each gym session. I was going to do 5-6 exercises each day (3 reps of 10 sets) with maybe 20 mins of cardio. Is it worth it to do this or am I better of just doing more cardio each session (say like 45 mins of cardio 2-3 times a week). I've lost almost 30 pounds and have another 20 to go.

Replies

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 280 Member
    Yes always
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Of course! Progress might be slow but you'll be far outperforming everyone on the couch.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Absolutely. Google "twice a week full body workout" and you'll find suggestions and reassuring articles like this one: https://muscleevo.net/training-twice-a-week/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I did 2x/with full body for a couple years and it was great! I could supplement the heavy weights workouts with some dumbbell workout videos at home with cardio. I've been doing a 3 day rotation lately, but considering going back to 2 if the weather cooperates (I like to run outside if weather is nice).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I do a full body workout 2 x a week to compliment my running, its made a massive difference.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    The first thing to keep in mind is that getting in shape and losing weight can be mutually exclusive things. You can lose weight without exercise and you can improve your fitness and, like me, still be above your ideal weight.

I run so I'm biased towards cardio but strength should never be over looked.If your schedule only allows working out 2 x weekly then work with what you've got. Like others have said, your progress may be a bit slower than someone who can put in 3 or more workouts a week but progress is progress!

• Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    I also do a full body workout on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I feel a huge difference in my strength even though I don't look any different. Sometimes I can eek in a shorter workout on Monday after my run, but I still think 2-"2.5" weight sessions a week is better than 0.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I've been considering going down from 3 to 2 only because I prefer to run and I'd rather get more running days in than lifting... I really don't have enough time to do both on the same day.
  • hesn92
    I do a full body workout 2 x a week to compliment my running, its made a massive difference.

would you mind sharing what your strength routine is? I'm just curious. I'm exploring my options.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »

would you mind sharing what your strength routine is? I'm just curious. I'm exploring my options.

Not the person you are asking, but I do Strong Lifts 3x a week and you could just stretch it out by doing it twice a week.

I run the other days. 5K T/T/S and depending on my mood and the weather might do 10K Sunday.
  • TavistockToad

At the moment I'm doing 'a workout routine' (google it!) which I got off the list of lifting programs on that thread that's knocking around.

I do version 2 of the beginner routine and am really enjoying it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

At the moment I'm doing 'a workout routine' (google it!) which I got off the list of lifting programs on that thread that's knocking around.

The link to that routine is here: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Came from this thread (which has tons of other program suggestions as well): https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • TavistockToad
    AnvilHead wrote: »

The link to that routine is here: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Came from this thread (which has tons of other program suggestions as well): https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thats the fella!

Thanks @AnvilHead :flowerforyou:
  • hesn92

Ah, I looked at that list but it took me a while to find it on there because it's typed with no spaces lol!! aworkoutroutine.

I've been doing strong curves, just finished the 12 week beginner cycle and I liked it well enough but found it just takes so long to get through each workout because there's sooo many exercises. (as you can tell I'm not very committed to my lifting lol)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited October 2018

Ah, I looked at that list but it took me a while to find it on there because it's typed with no spaces lol!! aworkoutroutine.

I've been doing strong curves, just finished the 12 week beginner cycle and I liked it well enough but found it just takes so long to get through each workout because there's sooo many exercises. (as you can tell I'm not very committed to my lifting lol)

Another good one is All Pro's Beginner Routine (also linked in that thread, but it's here): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Very simple routine, and it has progression and periodization built right into the very structure of it. Super easy to follow.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Do 2 full body weight routines and you will be fine. Unless you know what you are doing, ask a trainer or find an tried program to see results
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member

Another good one is All Pro's Beginner Routine (also linked in that thread, but it's here): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Very simple routine, and it has progression and periodization built right into the very structure of it. Super easy to follow.

I was just going to come in with the AllPro routine.
    I find it is a great beginners routine that is overlooked on the forums nowadays.

I have been doing it (well sometimes it is a ragged variation) for a couple of years now. It is a 3 day programme with a heavy medium and light day. If you need though it can be a 2 day heavy day programme.

Cheers, h.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I've been off and on with exercise and weight loss. I've managed to lose some weight mostly by diet changes with some intermittent amounts of exercise. I'm trying to get back in to weight training since when I was younger I found it effective to get in shape. I have a wacky work schedule so I figure the best I can do consistently is like 2 days a week and at times 3. I was going to alternate upper body/lower body+abs on each gym session. I was going to do 5-6 exercises each day (3 reps of 10 sets) with maybe 20 mins of cardio. Is it worth it to do this or am I better of just doing more cardio each session (say like 45 mins of cardio 2-3 times a week). I've lost almost 30 pounds and have another 20 to go.

Doing a split like you're talking about 2x per week isn't going to be very efficient...if you can only train 2x per week, you really need to do a full body program...doing a split is going to be incredibly inefficient and basically a waste of time.

I'm back to 3x per week with a push/pull...I was doing 2x per week with a full body program for awhile due to time constraints, and I had good results.
  • Rishamarie420
    Rishamarie420 Posts: 6 Member
    I lifter only 2 days a week and I saw some amazing results! My weight didn’t change but my body did. I think I was gaining muscle as I was losing fat. My body looked and felt amazing
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    2x is 3 better than 0x. Do full body each time.

I agree with this. I think a lot of beginner programs have two different full body workouts that you rotate.
  • Chael2dot0
    Chael2dot0 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Is it worth it to weight train only 2 days a week?

Yes. 200% better than nothing.
  • sllewellyn2
    sllewellyn2 Posts: 9 Member
    Elitemens training has loads of routines,2 day 3,or 4 day workouts and it has also different routine for strength, muscle building and endurance
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    "Is it worth it to weight train only 2 days a week?"
    Definitely yes.

But don't do this "I was going to alternate upper body/lower body+abs on each gym session."
    That's hitting each muscle group just once a week so just one cycle of stress/overload, recovery/growth per week. Full body twice a week gives each muscle group two cycles instead of one.

@sijomial I don't want to hijack this thus thread but do have a question related to this comment. I recently switched from SL 5x5 to a 4 day split (BB LIIFT4). Most 4 day splits Including this one hit each muscle group only once a week. I'm trying to understand how/why this works. Thanks for any insight you can share.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Definitely yes.

But don't do this "I was going to alternate upper body/lower body+abs on each gym session."
    That's hitting each muscle group just once a week so just one cycle of stress/overload, recovery/growth per week. Full body twice a week gives each muscle group two cycles instead of one.

I don't want to hijack this thus thread but do have a question related to this comment. I recently switched from SL 5x5 to a 4 day split (BB LIIFT4). Most 4 day splits Including this one hit each muscle group only once a week. I'm trying to understand how/why this works. Thanks for any insight you can share.
    @lorrpb
    I have no idea what that program comprises of (appears to be both HIIT and lifting?) or what the goals of yourself and that program are so hard to comment. Is it a good fit for your capabilities and lifting experience? "Works" in what way?
    Can you (not someone else remember) hit each muscle group hard enough in just one session a week to make strength or hypertrophy improvements, if that's your goal(s)?

From the synopsis "LIIFT4 combines heavy lifting and intense cardio to transform your body in 4 days a week. And with 32 unique, real-time workouts, you’ll never get bored, because you’ll never do the same one twice." it's ticking a load of BS bingo items for me - sorry!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Definitely yes.

I don't want to hijack this thus thread but do have a question related to this comment. I recently switched from SL 5x5 to a 4 day split (BB LIIFT4). Most 4 day splits Including this one hit each muscle group only once a week. I'm trying to understand how/why this works. Thanks for any insight you can share.
    @lorrpb
    I have no idea what that program comprises of (appears to be both HIIT and lifting?) or what the goals of yourself and that program are so hard to comment. Is it a good fit for your capabilities and lifting experience? "Works" in what way?
    Can you (not someone else remember) hit each muscle group hard enough in just one session a week to make strength or hypertrophy improvements, if that's your goal(s)?

From the synopsis "LIIFT4 combines heavy lifting and intense cardio to transform your body in 4 days a week. And with 32 unique, real-time workouts, you’ll never get bored, because you’ll never do the same one twice." it's ticking a load of BS bingo items for me - sorry!

It’s something I thought I would try to switch things up. I agree there are a lot of buzz words which I’ve tried to sort through/overlook. I looked at other 4 day splits in the MFP thread and they all seem to be similar splits, each body part 1x week.
    In LIiFT 4 there are 4 lifts per body part, 3 sets x 10 reps. 1-2 body area per day: chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs. Leg day has 8 lifts I believe. There is 15-30 sec rest between sets which are done as circuit.
    HIIT is in addition to these lifts.
    My basic question is that most 4 day splits do each body area 1/wk, so how is that adequate?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    @lorrpb, I read the thread you posted and didn't reply, now I wish I had.
    I actually worked through the trial video that they show.
    A couple of thoughts.

I perceive it as much more conditioning than strength/muscle gain.

That being said, the route you are going right now, aiming for mini triathlons, starting to cycle, etc, I don't think this will be a bad choice.

We have to take into account our limitations, both mentally and physically, and to be honest I couldn't run a lifting programme and start training for tris, especially as a new sport. (Much admiration)

I think you will be able to hold onto the strength you have gained so far, and maybe even increase it a little.

What I do think this programme will offer you is greater flexibility, mobility, and probably endurance.

It is a short term programme, which you can probably repeat, so do it and assess at the end if it is your preferred way, for the time being, for muscle and bone retention.

As far as the legs once a week, you are cycling, running, swimming. Your legs are going to need recovery time, so once a week may be perfect.

If you feel you are falling short on your legs, you have enough experience lifting, and knowledge of your own body's performance, to add in a short 2nd leg routine. I suspect you won't need it.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers, h.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Definitely yes.

@sijomial I don't want to hijack this thus thread but do have a question related to this comment. I recently switched from SL 5x5 to a 4 day split (BB LIIFT4). Most 4 day splits Including this one hit each muscle group only once a week. I'm trying to understand how/why this works. Thanks for any insight you can share.

Most 4 day splits I've come across are either upper/lower splits or push/pull splits which work each muscle group 2x per week. Hitting each muscle group once per week isn't optimal in most cases. Where the bro split has it's place it is with large, advanced lifters who are pushing and pulling a ton of weight and can only work each group once per week to get adequate recovery.

I'm currently doing a 3x per week push/pull...it isn't optimal in that one week I will work my push twice and pull once and the other week pull twice and push once, but I was having some recovery issues with my full body programming so my trainer wanted me to run a good 8 week cycle of this since I'm just getting back to consistently hitting the weight room again.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on various splits pretty well...

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-single-most-effective-workout-split