Coffee creamer alternatives?

Options
Yes, yes, I know, it'd be so much healthier (and better for my macros) to either drop coffee altogether or learn to like it black... but I really love coffee and the whole morning ritual of making it- I just don't love the calories, ha ha.

Anyone here know any good, cleaner alternatives than the syrup-y creamers? I usually default to half and half with a little vanilla extract or honey but it's getting kinda old. Coffee lovers, please help me.

Thanks and have a good day!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with coffee. I drink my coffee with milk. I use Fairlife milk as it helps me reach my protein goals. Every single morning I use one cup of either whole or 2% Fairlife as creamer in my coffee. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not really into flavors but I feel like I've seen very low cal syrups online (maybe Amazon?)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I use a half cup 2% milk and a couple spoonfuls of homemade chocolate syrup. ( 1/4C sugar and 1/4C cocoa powder mixed with 1C water, heated till dissolved then jarred)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with coffee. I drink my coffee with milk. I use Fairlife milk as it helps me reach my protein goals. Every single morning I use one cup of either whole or 2% Fairlife as creamer in my coffee. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not really into flavors but I feel like I've seen very low cal syrups online (maybe Amazon?)

You add a CUP of milk to your coffee??? What size coffee are you drinking??? Me think its not coffee with milk but milk with some coffee :)

See, I assumed that one cop was going into multiple cups of joe
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If having coffee with syrupy creamers is something you enjoy, you don't have to feel like you need to get rid of it. I started measuring my creamer to make sure I wasn't overdoing it and so that calories could be accurate. Maybe reducing the amount you use could make it easier to fit in your calories.

That being said, if you want options, previous posters have good ideas. Fairlife milk is tasty. I use it for my cereal for the protein boost as well. Culinary coconut milk is super yummy in coffee. I also will frequently to black coffee with honey. Or, Coffemate has a line of creamers called Natural Bliss which has fewer ingredients if that's the issue.
    https://www.coffee-mate.com/products/natural-bliss/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOc5SQzWWriqYd6QQ9tCiQee5F8K6OzipeFjNMlAtzsmjiqldlR8JWhRoC0ToQAvD_BwE
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    How much coffee are you drinking?
    How much flavored creamer are you using?
    Why do you feel it needs to be cut out or down? Are the calories crowding out other nutrition?

Personally I still drink coffee, with my flavored Intl Delights creamer, and it accounts for anywhere from 100-150 cals of my day. Lost weight, currently in maintenance.

It’s all about figuring out what you want to fit in and prioritizing the things you really want. For me, coffee is one of those nonnegotiables.

Same here. At least one cup per day but lately 2 cups per day, with 2 TBS of creamer per cup. Worth it imo.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I started drinking Nutpods when I was trying to cut out the artificial sweeteners months back, and now I can't drink the sweeter stuff (like Coffeemate). They have flavored ones that just add a hint of flavor. They're made from almond and coconut milk. About 20 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    What about cashew milk and a few pumps of a sugar free syrup? I enjoy the Jordan's Skinny Syrups brand (loads of flavors). I also tried an almond beverage in pumpkin spice that made an excellent creamer, and it's only 25 calories for quarter of a cup. I don't think traditional creamers are terrible either --you just can't dump it in lol.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    black coffee
    milk
    hot chocolate mix. i would add a half a packet to one 12 oz mug

week days i drink it black. weekends i get something fancy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For a light or medium roast I just drink it black. If my wife decides to get a dark roast I cut it with a little half and half.

I'm in for coffee to taste the coffee. We buy high quality beans and grind fresh daily. Good coffee doesn't need much. Dark roasts are a little bitter to me which is why I use a little half and half...but it's not much...I want to ultimately taste the coffee.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For a light or medium roast I just drink it black. If my wife decides to get a dark roast I cut it with a little half and half.

I'm in for coffee to taste the coffee. We buy high quality beans and grind fresh daily. Good coffee doesn't need much. Dark roasts are a little bitter to me which is why I use a little half and half...but it's not much...I want to ultimately taste the coffee.

i know i'm in the minority but i think dark roasts are kinda gross. it's like a well done steak imho
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I used to add 1 teaspoon each of half & half and sugar.

These days I add protein powder. (The coffee needs to cool a bit or the PP will curdle.) I also add soaked chia seeds and dried coconut and call it breakfast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

i know i'm in the minority but i think dark roasts are kinda gross. it's like a well done steak imho

I don't really care for a dark roast, but my wife really likes them. There's one brand that she gets on occasion that I can tolerate...I can't remember the name of it, but it's from Tanzania.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use regular old whole milk.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I always used half and half in my tea and just worked it into my calories. Recently, I’ve suspected I may have a problem with lactose and have switched to Fairlife whole milk. I like the taste and, like others, the extra protein.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened soy milk with some splenda and vanilla in my coffee. Usually a half cup is enough or sometimes a full cup if I am hungry between meals. Adds protein and a little fat to my largely vegetarian diet for 40 to 80 calories depending on the size. I don't like black coffee, so I decided to make a healthier version than just using creamer.
  • fatpants1974
    fatpants1974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I don't drink a lot of coffee but when I do, I can't drink it plain black!! I absolutely love the Nestle Coffee-Mate creamers. They have a few sugar free options that are delicious, my favorite being the sugar free Vanilla Caramel. 30 cal for 1 Tbls and 2 carbs.
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I switched to coconut cream about a year or so ago. It's expensive, and it's pure saturated fat. I like it, though. I've found my digestion improved as I stopped using any non-fermented dairy product. I wasn't using much half & half, but my gut seems to notice the difference.

I've never like plain milk or any non-dairy milk in my coffee. I find it too watery to make much of a difference in the flavor. The coconut cream has a nice mouthfeel because of its fat content. I use about a half-tablespoon in a mug of coffee; at that amount, I don't detect a coconut flavor.
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like iced coffee with just vanilla almond milk. It isn't sweet, but it has a nice taste.