What vitamins/supplements do y'all take?

Options
xmarye
xmarye Posts: 385 Member
edited November 2018 in Food and Nutrition
What supplements do y'all take? Just curious!

I have a whole stack but I'm not the best at taking them daily. I am a little scared of supplements after hearing a few stories online about liver failure/heart failure due to taking supps. :scream:

ATM, I am trying to take a probiotics, krill oil and D3 daily. I also have some magnesium I think I'll start taking at night with my Ashwagandha.

Other then that, I also have potassium and Milk Thistle, as well as B12 chilling in my cupboard. I take the ashwagandha for my thyroid, and the milk thistle for my liver (which has a key role with thyroid functions). The B12 is leftover from when I was taking my iron last year, which seem to be fine now. The magnesium and potassium are because I eat low carb/keto. Oh and I also just got Kelp but I am a little scared to take it, I take it a few times per week not to overdo it.

My thyroid has been showing up slow as of recently (before I was eating low carbs, I actually had been eating a ''balanced'' macros diet around 1800cals and training moderately for a few months, but my weight wouldn't budge!).

I started low carb 6 weeks ago, about at the same time that my blood test results came back and lost 6lbs, and lost another 6lbs since starting keto 10 days ago. Might not seem like much but I actually haven't been this weight since after giving birth to my first child 4 years ago (I have 3 kids, the last is about to turn 1).

I know they always say check with your doctor first, but honestly they don't know jack. :lol: Apart from prescription medication of course, that they always want to shove down your throat. I was precribed Synthroid, without even seeing me face to face to talk about alternative approaches. I don't think she is educated very much about this issue. I haven't taking it as I don't want to resort to that just yet. I have another blood test scheduled for the end of the month and will see from there. AND ALSO! I had the Mirena IUD prior to this condition developing, and had it removed the same week I found out about it. No doctor will acknowledge a link of course, but I strongly believed it played a role.

Thanks ahead!

PS. I know no one will give medical advice, just looking for others to share their own experience! And interested in seeing what other people take and for what reasons.

TLDR:

Wondering what you guys take and why :smile:

My stack:
General health and immune system: Probiotics, Krill Oil
Because I eat low carb/keto: Magnesium, potassium
Because I want to heal my thyroid: Ashwagandha (clinical trials have shown benefits to thyroid function in people with hypo and hyper thyroid), milk thistle (liver supports thyroid functions), Kelp (for Iodine which is necessary for thyroid hormones processes), D3 (same as previous, and also I guess general health?)

Also, the thyroid problems were prior to eating low carb/keto when I was eating a ''balanced diet'' (1800cals+ while lifting 4x per week for about 30 minutes), got my Mirena (IUD) removed the same week I found out and went back to eating low carbs (which I tend to lean towards and have previous experience with from a couple years ago in between pregnancies, and felt amazing and dropped 25lbs which I didn't gain back, only gained weight back when I got pregnant again and was bed ridden, depressed and was overeating out of boredom).

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an awful lot of supplements.

Are you sick? Why all the supplements?

I take a multivitamin and D3 in liquid form - I doubt I even need the multi, but I take it more out of habit. I'm in my mid sixties and super healthy. Good nutrition is my supplement.
  • xmarye
    Options

I take a multivitamin and D3 in liquid form - I doubt I even need the multi, but I take it more out of habit. I'm in my mid sixties and super healthy. Good nutrition is my supplement.

Just updated my original post with a few more details!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can consult with a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist) who can help you review your supplements since you don't seem to trust general practitioners.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »

I've been on levothyroxine for a couple decades.

I eat sort of moderate carb, under 150g is my goal.

I think it's not a good idea to take a bunch of unregulated supplements. Especially things like Potassium, you don't want to mess with electrolytes. Is it that you feel it's preventative, or is there some reason?

Have you researched the actual efficacy of them on Examine.com?
  • xmarye
    edited November 2018
    Options

I've been on levothyroxine for a couple decades.

I eat sort of moderate carb, under 150g is my goal.

I think it's not a good idea to take a bunch of unregulated supplements. Especially things like Potassium, you don't want to mess with electrolytes. Is it that you feel it's preventative, or is there some reason?

Have you researched the actual efficacy of them on Examine.com?

Thanks for the resource, I will definitely check it out!

Like I explained above, eating low carbs can deplete magnesium and potassium, so it's kind of preventative!

I also am trying to heal my extreme fatigue, which is better since I went back to eating low carbs.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I take Ritual vitamins and Biotin.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Daily multivitamin (pre/postnatal), fish oil and vitamin D
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    All my supplements are taken in partnership with my doctor. She's actually been very helpful in this area, so I wouldn't agree with the blanket statement that they don't know "jack." I get a blood test annually to ensure I'm staying on top of my nutritional needs. She's certainly never pushed me to take any kind of prescription medication.

I supplement vitamin B12, iron, D, iodine, and a vegan DHA.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I had to take Vitamin D this year, prescribed. Based on anecdotal encouragement from a friend I also take a prenatal vitamin even though I'm not expecting or planning too, my nails and hair grow a bit faster. Not sure I've noticed much change in health of either, though.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil and vitamin D on my doctor's rec. I've heard it can be dicey supplementing most individual minerals without verifying you are deficient first. I would personally wait until having blood work before supplementing them. I've honestly never heard of anyone developing a deficiency just by doing low carb.
  • xmarye
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I think I will just stick to the basics for now, until I can speak with my doc. After doing some research on the recommended website above, I will go with:

Morning: Ashwagandha
    Noon: Probiotics
    Evening: Krill oil, D3 and magnesium

I will definitely ask her about her opinion, and just may be happily surprised.

I think I am just really turned off by the fact that she prescribed me something without even meeting me to see what I thought about her treatment plan. :disappointed:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I think I will just stick to the basics for now, until I can speak with my doc. After doing some research on the recommended website above, I will go with:

I think I am just really turned off by the fact that she prescribed me something without even meeting me to see what I thought about her treatment plan. :disappointed:

I can understand that. Would it be possible to change doctors? I know that's not possible for everyone. But there are some good ones out there :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I can understand that. Would it be possible to change doctors? I know that's not possible for everyone. But there are some good ones out there :smile:

There really are...my Dr. is awesome! He even follows me on Strava to monitor my exercise activity.
  • xmarye
    edited November 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Well where I live it takes years to get a doctor, and I just got accepted on her patient list. Many people don't have one. Deliberately leaving her care would also mean a longer wait when researching another doctor, but I guess it wouldn't be impossible.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Just a good multivitamin and additional vitamin D on my doctor's recommendation.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I take an insurance dose multi vitamin, 1000iu vit D and a calcium as I have early on set brittle bone disease.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    In theory I take D3 in winter, but I tend to forget. This reminds me I should start it again -- it's cold and snowy!

When I was avoiding animal products I was also taking a DHA/EPA supplement and B12.