What do you do when...

Options
What do you do when you live with other people that constantly offer you really bad food when they are well aware that you are trying to lose weight? My boyfriend and his son bring home pizza, snack cakes, etc, and offer them. I say no and then they ask again and again until you finally give in. I have talked to them about this. I have to lose weight for health reasons. Any help?

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    No, just has to mean NO. Don't let them keep on you. If they do just keep saying no. Sounds easier than it is, but if you keep caving they are not going to take you seriously.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    After you say no, just leave the room for a bit..
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's like Dear Abby suggests you reply when someone asks a rude question. 'Why do you ask?'
    Maybe they don't realize they're pushing food.
    Try saying 'Why do you think I SHOULD eat that?'
    Could be a lightbulb moment for them in realizing what exactly they are doing.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like someone who cared about you wouldn't act like that.
    Sorry... Truth!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Rather than giving in: Can you leave the room? Go for a walk? Go work out to a DVD? Plug in to an ipod and literally tune them out? Failing any of those - go to bed and lie down? Scream at them? Make your voice heard. How old is his son?

Maybe sometime when your boyfriend *isn't* shoving food at you, ask him how he benefits by doing that kind of thing to you. Explain to him (again) that you're doing this to be healthy and while pizza, etc tastes good, it's really not something you want to indulge in because you feel that other options are better for you. Explain that when he shoves food at you, it makes you feel X. He'll either get it or not, but you'll have laid it out for him.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    No, just has to mean NO. Don't let them keep on you. If they do just keep saying no. Sounds easier than it is, but if you keep caving they are not going to take you seriously.

Ditto! Keep saying No. It will get easier, and they will get the hint. It might also be helpful if you had some alternatives to eat instead.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My sister lives with me. She works at Costco and has Hyperthyroidism so she does not understand. Not only does she buy crap, but she buys it in bulk! I told her that if I have to continually see the food, I will throw it out no questions asked. She now has a cupboard all to herself so that I do not have to look at the junk food continuously. She has learned not to offer me any of the crap since I am now eating healthy. My suggestion, have a sit down conversation with your boyfriend and explain to him that you are eating healthy and you would appreciate it not being shoved in your face. Hide the crap food so that you do not have that temptation staring at you all the time.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to take it a step further and just go to the gym when they start doing that to me. Maybe that will get the point across :)
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    One good thing I've found that helps is "That looks delicious, but I'm not really hungry. I'll try some later." The "later" never comes :) Repeat as needed.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When people nag me I tell them, "The answer is still No, and you are beginning to piss me off." Any one who knows me backs off..right now. I accompany this with my best seriously pissed off face. It took some practice, but has served me well.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    It's like Dear Abby suggests you reply when someone asks a rude question. 'Why do you ask?'
    Maybe they don't realize they're pushing food.
    Try saying 'Why do you think I SHOULD eat that?'
    Could be a lightbulb moment for them in realizing what exactly they are doing.

Love that, so smart!!!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Beef up the will-power (i know, easier said than done) and remind them that you need/expect/appreciate their support in your journey. If they truly love and care about you, they'll respect your position.
  • Leslietheriot
    Options
    That's how I am. I have told them that if you ask repeatedly the answer is NOT going to change but you are going to piss me off and it does.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    this happens to me.
    tell them ur on a diet and u dont want any.
    if they ignore that like the people im living with do.
    tell your partner that he has 2 choices. 1 keep handing u food / offering u food and u get fat. 2 him stop and u gt sexy!
    let him decide! lol
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be as blunt as I can...you either want to be fit/skinny/sexy...or you don't. Don't eat it. My house is filled with crap because others in the house like it, I won't impose my health nut lifestyle on them. They want health problems, it's their problem...not mine. They don't like it? It's too damn bad.
  • spampeg
    spampeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When people nag me I tell them, "The answer is still No, and you are beginning to piss me off." Any one who knows me backs off..right now. I accompany this with my best seriously pissed off face. It took some practice, but has served me well.

This.
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I say "Misery loves company" and who wants to be miserable????
    Stay strong and if you have to get mean about it....well do what ya gotta do!
  • Leslietheriot
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome! I feel much better knowing that you are all here for the support that I needed. Feel free to add me as a friend...as I have none. Thank you all so much! Now off to the gym :-D
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd ask them a few questions like 1. is it healthy? 2. Is there a salad and fruit in there? and 3. do you WANT me to die early? But that's me, I'm a saracastic B****h! Stay strong and don't cave to the sabatours!
  • Captainfakeeye
    Options
    This used to happen to me too! I was trying to eat more healthily, but my boyfriend would bring home tons of junk food to eat for dinner. My solution: have food already made for your dinner/snack. That way, you can say that you already have food, and if they persist, tell them that if you don't eat the food you already made, it'll go bad. :)